Opinion The Way Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

This isnt true.

EPL teams move on successful coaches all the time.

This would be the most pointless data ever. to think a single swan did better than ah chee or lohmann...

I know who had an impact on the match and didnt.

by the way I'm not sure that moving coaches on all the time is good. the problem with the EPL is that there is no salary cap so being moved on may reflect relative lack of success not an absolute level of lack of success.

Was thinking exactly this kind of thing in the shower this morning! Assuming Parker and Warners are gone (just for discussion):
Back 7
Cunningham Edwards Rampe
McCartin Melican Blakey Roberts
Ruck Grundy
Middle 8 (5 on the bench)
Heeney Rowbottom Mills Sheldrick
Gulden McInerney Lloyd Florent
Forward 7
Jordon McDonald Campbell
Papley Buller Hayward McLean

More height and bulk down back.
More grunt inside.
More speed up forward (except McLean).
Heeney roaming forward, Mills resting back.
McCartin can play more the intercept role.
Roberts and Blakey for kick ins.

I really like this team & your reasoning too. All makes sense & adds a better balance with speed & grunt.

My version is something like:

FB: Cunningham McCartin Fox
HB: Blakey Mclean Mills

C: Juzzy Adams Gulden

HF: Florent Hayward Jordon
FF: Papley Mclean Cleary

Fol: Grundy Heeney Rowbottom

Int: Warner, Roberts, Campbell, McDonald, Sheldrick

I think this team gives us
  • genuine defensive players in defence
  • speed/gut running & skills on the wing
  • speed & strong defensive pressure in the forwards
  • hardness in the mids

I think we have the pieces but we need the right combination, we can't be all skills or all grunt. We need the players to compliment each other.

This isnt true.

EPL teams move on successful coaches all the time.

This would be the most pointless data ever. to think a single swan did better than ah chee or lohmann...

I know who had an impact on the match and didnt.
I think you mistook what I was trying to get at. I was saying on a minor premiership basis, and consistency of top 4 (which I think is CL qual?), Horse has done very well - and absolutely dominated this year.

Agree with you that if EPL had playoffs for the top 8, and Horse kept his record in GFs, then he could have been cut as early as 2014 by EPL standards!

I think you mistook what I was trying to get at. I was saying on a minor premiership basis, and consistency of top 4 (which I think is CL qual?)

Arsenal finishing top 4 constantly in the EPL, (but never winning) their fan base was absolutely baying for blood.

To the point they removed their most successful coach ever.

I think you mistook what I was trying to get at. I was saying on a minor premiership basis, and consistency of top 4 (which I think is CL qual?), Horse has done very well - and absolutely dominated this year.

Agree with you that if EPL had playoffs for the top 8, and Horse kept his record in GFs, then he could have been cut as early as 2014 by EPL standards!

No I agreed with your general point.

I think that some clubs would have been happy with the result that JL is providing but others would be ruthless and sack him for failing to deliver. Ultimately it depends on what a club's expectations are.

I sort of feel that the club's expectations are about right - be there and give yourself a shot at the title.

The problem is that I think he's had his chances and thats enough to my mind. They need a fresh start and so does the club

Arsenal finishing top 4 constantly in the EPL, (but never winning) their fan base was absolutely baying for blood.

To the point they removed their most successful coach ever.
A gunners tragic?

Difference is that Horse won minor premierships in 2014, 2016 and 2024. Not bad in an era of equalisation and a ridiculous trade ban. Edit: better than not bad, only Collingwood match Sydney’s record since 2010. And you you start from since JL was head coach (2011) then Sydney leads the way.

Arsenal experience (and that of other EPL clubs) potentially a good warning about the risk of snap judgements on coaches.

A gunners tragic?

Difference is that Horse won minor premierships in 2014, 2016 and 2024. Not bad in an era of equalisation and a ridiculous trade ban.

Arsenal experience (and that of other EPL clubs) potentially a good warning about the risk of snap judgements on coaches.

Not a gunners fan (or EPL fan).

There are more entertaining leagues to watch.

Difference is that Arsenal (The board) were absolutely happy finishing top 4 (The $$$$).

Longmire is getting good results, by and large. If he was a bad coach, the players would not make Grand Finals on average every 3-4 years.
For whatever reason, the players don't turn up on Grand Final day.
Sydney had a good draw in the finals. They should have entered the Grand Final feeling fresh.
Prior to the GF, Brisbane had 2 away finals - both close games that they could have easily lost. They were match-hardened.
However, Sydney should have been far more equipped to go hard and wear down their opposition.
Brisbane clearly wanted it more.

I am sure Longmire would have told his players that they need to beat their opposition to the ball first, go in hard, and prepare to take the hit. He cannot be responsible entirely for getting his team there, and then failing in the big one. Foor whatever reason, the players just aren't prepared to sacrifice enough once they do get to the GF. Brisbane were steeled by last year's close result (in which Collingwood were the better team) and refused to let up all day.

I would still warn against getting rid of Longmire. He's a good coach with a good team alongside him. The players are just pathetic when it matters most. If Sydney were as good as expected, Heeney could have had a bad game, and many others would step up.

When Blight coached Geelong to losing GFs, I do not blame him in any way. Ultimately, it's the players who need to be held accountable. They are ultimately responsible for the glory, and failures.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me too. I honestly thought we'd either win in a canter and it would be over halfway through the third quarter, or it would go down to the wire and go either way. Honestly did not imagine another shellacking.
I got so excited after the first two goals. I was already thinking about the medals ceremony 😂

****, man 🤦‍♂️

I got so excited after the first two goals. I was already thinking about the medals ceremony 😂

****, man 🤦‍♂️

The thing you have to remember about the swans, they hate contact.

I really like this team & your reasoning too. All makes sense & adds a better balance with speed & grunt.

My version is something like:

FB: Cunningham McCartin Fox
HB: Blakey Mclean Mills

C: Juzzy Adams Gulden

HF: Florent Hayward Jordon
FF: Papley Mclean Cleary

Fol: Grundy Heeney Rowbottom

Int: Warner, Roberts, Campbell, McDonald, Sheldrick

I think this team gives us
  • genuine defensive players in defence
  • speed/gut running & skills on the wing
  • speed & strong defensive pressure in the forwards
  • hardness in the mids

I think we have the pieces but we need the right combination, we can't be all skills or all grunt. We need the players to compliment each other.
I'm not sure that McLean is a CHB let alone a CHB AND a FF.

I'm not sure that McLean is a CHB let alone a CHB AND a FF.
McLean transitioning from defence to attack:

teleporting star trek GIF by HULU

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The Way Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back