Opinion The Way Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

If Longmire views an external review after 3 abysmal grand final performances, as a slap in the face, then he's not the right man for the job. He and others have had multiple chances now, he either wants to learn something new or he should get out of the way.

Roos, Simpson (who was the last coach of an interstate side to win against Vic oppo, and after a then sizeable defeat a few years earlier), Bolton, Goodes, O'Keefe for some likely harsher critique etc. Marty Mattner's won a few SANFL flags as coach.

Doesn't even need to be from the AFL world.

Surely the likes of Richards and Pyke know some people who review teams that fail under pressure in the business world.

As for trust, I mean, I have zero trust in the club being able to do an internal review and come up with a successful approach for next time.
I meant that Roos, his previous boss, would be the slap, not the review per se.

Gets back to a having a continuous improvement culture. Longmire has publicly stated he has no idea what went wrong, that’s twice now. Do we wait a third or a 4th time ? He should be the one lobbying for an external review so other able minds can also help with their perspectives. And as for the players, this jogging going bruise free and looking disinterested, if that is tolerated and there’s no consequences - why would they change ?

The standard you walk around past is the standard you accept.

We have a cultural problem. We need to change.

Gets back to a having a continuous improvement culture. Longmire has publicly stated he has no idea what went wrong, that’s twice now. Do we wait a third or a 4th time ? He should be the one lobbying for an external review so other able minds can also help with their perspectives. And as for the players, this jogging going bruise free and looking disinterested, if that is tolerated and there’s no consequences - why would they change ?

Name your better standard. You have been brave and stepped up and criticized the great Horse. According to you he has no idea.

According to you

What is your solution?

Brave people like you not only have temerity to stand up and say what they feel, they have the substance to take whatever comes back from their temerity.

What is your solution for change Fast Man?

I respect your opinion.

Last edited:

Not sure you have a strong grasp on how a continuous improvement culture works. Consequences are not a big part of it. CI is driven from within. The Bloods Culture was a CI culture. You, my friend, are looking for vengeance. Consequences.

Not sure you have a strong grasp on how a continuous improvement culture works. Consequences are not a big part of it. CI is driven from within. The Bloods Culture was a CI culture. You, my friend, are looking for vengeance. Consequences.
Here are my thoughts rustycrate and Kiama Chris. Could write a thesis but won’t so here goes.

Firstly, we need to value premierships over memberships as a club. If Pridham down don’t understand that one precedes the other we have a problem. What can we do about it ? Not much if Port is anything to go by. Only years in the wilderness can affect this change. Agree we’ve gone too corporate for a footy club.

Let’s assume Pridham, Harley and Board are as desperate for premierships as much as we are. Then, a root and branch independent review needs to be commissioned with findings shared with both senior management and players.

Thirdly, Horse has to go. Not for vengeance, not as a consequence, but for the fact he does not perform in Grand Finals. If you’re happy to keep making finals but not winning the GF then by all means keep him on. Plenty of support staff need reviewing as well, psychologist, lawyer, recruitment etc.

Fourthly, we need key performance indicators that measure what’s required to win a flag. Will assume a new coach has a grasp of these. A lot of us believe that contested footy, clearances, manic defence and pressure are important. If so we measure and reward this and we also recruit for this. It also means we drop players who don’t perform. I believe we are way too soft but what would I know, let the new coach set the priorities.

Finally, Captain and leadership group have to set the standard. Need to hold each other accountable, need to lead by example.

I’m of the belief we need dramatic change to win a flag. We had 2 years to fix it. Time’s up.

Here are my thoughts rustycrate and Kiama Chris. Could write a thesis but won’t so here goes.

Firstly, we need to value premierships over memberships as a club. If Pridham down don’t understand that one precedes the other we have a problem. What can we do about it ? Not much if Port is anything to go by. Only years in the wilderness can affect this change. Agree we’ve gone too corporate for a footy club.

Let’s assume Pridham, Harley and Board are as desperate for premierships as much as we are. Then, a root and branch independent review needs to be commissioned with findings shared with both senior management and players.

Thirdly, Horse has to go. Not for vengeance, not as a consequence, but for the fact he does not perform in Grand Finals. If you’re happy to keep making finals but not winning the GF then by all means keep him on. Plenty of support staff need reviewing as well, psychologist, lawyer, recruitment etc.

Fourthly, we need key performance indicators that measure what’s required to win a flag. Will assume a new coach has a grasp of these. A lot of us believe that contested footy, clearances, manic defence and pressure are important. If so we measure and reward this and we also recruit for this. It also means we drop players who don’t perform. I believe we are way too soft but what would I know, let the new coach set the priorities.

Finally, Captain and leadership group have to set the standard. Need to hold each other accountable, need to lead by example.

I’m of the belief we need dramatic change to win a flag. We had 2 years to fix it. Time’s up.
In response, my thoughts:
1) Matter of opinion but 17 clubs hang on memberships, one on a premiership.
2) Partly agree and partly disagree. As always, the devil is in the detail.
3) As judged by disappointment in failing to win more than one premiership. He's done a lot right. Cannot agree for those reasons.
4) Here we agree. I have put this forward myself. No reason the coaching group cannot make changes such as these.
But it still needs cool heads and a measured approach to deliver change without throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I don't think it's culture considering our consistent strong performances in the regular season. I think it's tactics & game day preparation. We couldn't have prepared better for the GF but fell to a heap on gameday. I don't think the boys wearing glasses or flying private or being difficult in tickets etc, had much to do with what happened on gameday.

They would've tried different preps previously & players spoke about how they were better for the experience from 2022. How they had a better grasp on dealing with the extra attention during the GF week.

The only aspect left to review are tactics & gameday prep. At the core of it, why did we fall away & lose the game in the last 10mins of the 2nd quarter? Is that what happened in previous GFs? Things of that nature.

I think looking for cultural issues is a wasteful exercise & is shying away from the core issue of tactics & gameday prep.

The only thing I have seen is the bus vid of the players smiling & relaxed on their way to the MCG contrasted with Lions who looked a bit more serious & focused. Although that's only a 10-20second clip & perhaps the Lions players were also smiling, laughing etc but not shown.

The biggest concern was Horse (assume the club) were stumped for answers regarding another GF loss. For that reason, I would seek an outsider to liaise with the club in their review. That would allow for a complete fresh set of eyes to view. I wouldn't pick any former players.

Someone like a Luke Hodge or the like, potentially Buckley? I'm unsure who but someone removed from the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The Way Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back