The "We must get Tom Lynch at all costs...or maybe not" Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the most important factor in whether we should go for Lynch is whether GC will match our offer.

If so, and we are forced to trade picks, it probably costs us this years first and next years first.

Keep in mind we need to use a first round pick either this year or next to comply with the drafting rules. So we're backed into a corner there.

Alternatively, we lose Moore for a first round pick (he isn't worth two I wouldn't have throught)

So it would basically be Moore + first rounder for Lynch.

This is clearly overs for us. This is a super draft, so we wouldn't want to give up a first rounder and lose Moore.

Lynch is only a viable option if we take him as a FA. If we can't do that, better to put everything into retaining Moore and then getting a gun first round pick this year.

We might need an early pick to get Quaynor and Kelly as they keep jumping up the rankings.

Moore stays. he is a required player. Tall, athletic, and has leg speed.
Which are great attributes on paper but are no value if he remains injury prone. I don't think any prospective trades should be scuppered on the basis of Moore being a consistent player for us. He is just too unreliable body wise.

Balme did mention the Bucks comment...stating that all discussions should be “behind the scenes” & not made public until Free Agency period commences officially.
Bucks realises that now & obviously regrets making those comments.
He blamed the media for the circus surrounding Lynch.
Lynch is a GC player until year end...& both Lynch & GC should be respected.
In not so many words, Balme intimated that Bucks shouldn't be so honest and needs to learn how to lie without lying like the rest of us.

If we missed out on Lynch but could secure Steven May and keep Darcy Moore wouldn’t that still be a good result. Darcy is only 22yrs old and with the improvement of Mason Cox it would mean there would be less pressure on him.

I'd rather hit the draft than trade this years (and likely next years) 1st round picks out. Get May next year when he's FA if we want him.

I just skipped the last 10 pages, did I miss anything?

I actually made a great post, sorry you missed it.:p

Instead of looking back, very similar to the following post:

I'd rather hit the draft than trade this years (and likely next years) 1st round picks out. Get May next year when he's FA if we want him.

Yes...Lynch is staying at Gold Coast.
Will come out & say...”I never seriously considered leaving”
Richmond BF Board will explode.
Club will threaten to sue the AFL.
Wilson will blame someone...anyone.
Then Richmond BF Board will change tack...we don’t need him anyway bla bla bla.

Anyone else think Bucks stuffed up mentioning he spoke to Lynch? If I was Lynch I’d be really p*#%ed at bucks for saying that before the end of the season. How about keeping it quiet like everyone else does.

How ridiculous that the media can spend months speculating about who has offered Lynch the best deal but if someone admits to even talking to him, it's suddenly a problem.

Time the footy industry grew the hell up and dealt with reality instead of pussyfooting around it.

Anyone else think Bucks stuffed up mentioning he spoke to Lynch? If I was Lynch I’d be really p*#%ed at bucks for saying that before the end of the season. How about keeping it quiet like everyone else does.
That's how Bucks feels about it too. In hindsight he thinks he should have not answered the question. Personally I always find it wonderfully refreshing when someone is forthright, open and honest with information. Why in the hell do people get angry when someone doesn't dance the bullshit dance?.. We all know Lynch is talking directly to other clubs he's interested in.... he'd be insane not to... Whats so awkward about that? Why do we insist on a false facade?

Spoke like he knew we weren't getting him and just move on. Bet they moved onto May when they found out he picked Richmond!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No.

My god I hope it's true. So overrated.

I am not convinced he has already picked Richmond but out of the three clubs I hope he goes there. It will round what they have up in the forward.

I think they go back to back this year most likely but not more than that. On paper they will look strong but on the field I don't think they will be better.

Lynch should go to Hawthorn. It's better for both parties.

We need key backs not key forwards.

My god I hope it's true. So overrated.

I am not convinced he has already picked Richmond but out of the three clubs I hope he goes there. It will round what they have up in the forward.

I think they go back to back this year most likely but not more than that. On paper they will look strong but on the field I don't think they will be better.

Lynch should go to Hawthorn. It's better for both parties.

We need key backs not key forwards.
I don't get this we need key defenders more than we need forwards thing.

Our current KPP are;

Cox - Forward
Mihocek - I like him up Forward
Reid - Forward

Dunn - Defence
McLarty - I like him in defence
Moore - I like him in defence

Dunn and Reid are both nearing the end which leaves Cox and Mihocek up fwd and Moore and McLarty in defence.

I think there is equal need at both ends.

I don't get this we need key defenders more than we need forwards thing.

Our current KPP are;

Cox - Forward
Mihocek - I like him up Forward
Reid - Forward

Dunn - Defence
McLarty - I like him in defence
Moore - I like him in defence

Dunn and Reid are both nearing the end which leaves Cox and Mihocek up fwd and Moore and McLarty in defence.

I think there is equal need at both ends.
We can’t lock in Moore with any certainty yet though due to contract negaotiations not exactly suggesting he’s staying. McLarty is very raw. Dunn will be recovering from a reco. I think a key defender is a priority.

We can’t lock in Moore with any certainty yet though due to contract negaotiations not exactly suggesting he’s staying. McLarty is very raw. Dunn will be recovering from a reco. I think a key defender is a priority.
I think both should be a priority. On top of Will Kelly I want us to also draft Sam Collins

Retire Dunn I'd say.. the club needs to be backed in a corner to realise that it needs a FB for the next 10 yrs or whatever re.. no cutting corners.. no comfort zone rubbish.. I wouldn't rely on getting a 31 yr old FB 3 quarts of the way into next season..

If we can't find an FB by then then we have issues.. stare it in the face and take it on.. Mcclarty you want the position.. it's yours.. work your ass off.

That's how you stay ahead of the competition.. no quick fixes. If we sign Dunn for another yr id be very disappointed.. that's just complacency as far as I'm concerned.

The consideration of Lynch should be tempered by the development of De Goey. To my eyes, he is now a full forward of real menace. He is not as big as the current fashion in players for this position, but he has every attribute required there, and he has the nous to play the part. There is not space for two full forwards on the field. We have backup and variation on match day in Cox, Mihocek and Reid, as well as the difference provided by Hoskin-Elliott and Stephenson to cope with injuries. And Elliott and Fasolo are almost back. Do we need to distort our recruiting and salary equations to bring Lynch into this mix? My own view would be probably not.

Agreed on pretty much all of that - although if memory serves correct the vets list was done away with as part of the salary cap increases.

Perhaps Bucks was so quick to apologise because we ARE in the hunt and he's worried that he may have upset Tom by disclosing something that wasn't meant to be public knowledge.

Anyway...........the context

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/07/25/buckley-expresses-regret-over-lynch-comments/
Or maybe the simplest reason of all.

Nathan reflected and thought he could have prevented the direct question.

Have to give Nathan his due, he is always reviewing himself wanting to be the best he can be.

Or maybe the simplest reason of all.

Nathan reflected and thought he could have prevented the direct question.

Have to give Nathan his due, he is always reviewing himself wanting to be the best he can be.
Buckley shouldn't be apologizing for anything. He's doing the industry a favor the quicker we can adopt an NRL style the better. I bet if you ask Tom Lynch he would much rather come out and say 6 weeks ago he was leaving instead of dealing with 24 hour speculation. I bet Collingwood and Richmond would love to stop walking on egg shells every single media commitment they do, even the players get probed now! Gold Coast doesn't really matter but imagine if this was a Collingwood player as a supporter I would much rather know in July if a player was leaving than doing what that bloke did when he bullshitted us and took us for fools the entire year before jumping to Carlton when lets face it we all knew he was going anyway.

That doesn't even touch on the obvious benefits to list management on both sides (Collingwood and Richmond both have a plethora of uncontracted players who I'm sure we can't answer their questions because we're made to sit in the dark and I'm sure Gold Coast would like to start thinking of potential replacements)

The industry needs to go with the times, we all know clubs talk to players in free agency years, we all know they talk to players before free agency years, and we all know they talk to contracted players (how do they get the information in the first place?). Yet when someone speaks about it in the media it's pitch fork time despite the fact its the information journalists craved to get and have the most desire to be the ones to break it.

It's foolish to think otherwise, do the media and Gil really expect Lynch to make a $8 million dollar, 6 year decision in the space of 3 weeks post the grand final? Give me a break.

Buckley shouldn't be apologizing for anything. He's doing the industry a favor the quicker we can adopt an NRL style the better. I bet if you ask Tom Lynch he would much rather come out and say 6 weeks ago he was leaving instead of dealing with 24 hour speculation. I bet Collingwood and Richmond would love to stop walking on egg shells every single media commitment they do, even the players get probed now! Gold Coast doesn't really matter but imagine if this was a Collingwood player as a supporter I would much rather know in July if a player was leaving than doing what that bloke did when he bullshitted us and took us for fools the entire year before jumping to Carlton when lets face it we all knew he was going anyway.

That doesn't even touch on the obvious benefits to list management on both sides (Collingwood and Richmond both have a plethora of uncontracted players who I'm sure we can't answer their questions because we're made to sit in the dark and I'm sure Gold Coast would like to start thinking of potential replacements)

The industry needs to go with the times, we all know clubs talk to players in free agency years, we all know they talk to players before free agency years, and we all know they talk to contracted players (how do they get the information in the first place?). Yet when someone speaks about it in the media it's pitch fork time despite the fact its the information journalists craved to get and have the most desire to be the ones to break it.

It's foolish to think otherwise, do the media and Gil really expect Lynch to make a $8 million dollar, 6 year decision in the space of 3 weeks post the grand final? Give me a break.
I agree.
The NRL do it far better and are more professional about such matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back