The Wornock Trade Not Good

Remove this Banner Ad

warnock is a great pick up for you guys. next year he will be disappointing as he not yet ready to be the number one ruck, but in three years he will be all australian or close to it.

warnock is great below his knees but it will take time for him to put weight and strength to be great overhead. the guy is 206cm with the same reach as sandilands, extremely mobile, and good skills.

Yeah we done very well, 3 picks in the top 70 :thumbsu:

yeah but a bit of luck is needed too, its all good and well to have the picks but its also what you do with them. i mean who would have thought when they drafted sam mitchell in the mid 30's he would captain the hawks to a flag

You need a good recruiting dept to achieve this.;) The opening thread makes some valid points. Warnock has done nothing. But Ruckmen usually take time to develop. I think it's a win for u guys overall as much as i hate to admit it.:(

He was made to wear the Navy Blue ...

robert20warnock20imageddl4.jpg

Griggas body :p

Re: The Warnock Trade Not Good

I can't believe Carlton gave in to Fremantle like beggars. Sure Warnock has potential and I wanted Carlton to get him, but at the right price.He has played 21 games and done nothing, we gave them too much pick 24, 56, 72. If we kept 24 ok i would accept that, but no way is worth pick 24.

Why are the Carlton football department, Brett Ratten and most supporters happy about ! In the last uncompromised draft Carlton have 3 picks in the top 70, thats great. They just never learn always trading picks, look at the way Hawthorn built a premiership by never trading picks.

You my friend seem to have no idea.

We gave them pick 56 you clown i think you need to look at the big picture mate. We have a mountain of youth coming through so the compromised drafts should not really affect us as it may to other teams.

We would be stoked to pick up a player of that quality at 24 in this draft anyway and is less of a gamble as we have seem him at AFL level.

Get your head out of your ass.

I'm not sure how much football alot of you watch outside the carlton games but if you have been watching much of the fremantle games you would not be thinking in the slightest that Carlton got an ordinary player in Warnock. First of all Warnock is 21 and has been playing at a club where he has had to beat a 7ft monster in Sandilands to get on the park. I will tell you that Fremantle have had HUUUGE hopes for Robbie. Apparently he has a better leap than Sandilands and gets his hands higher in most contests.

Freo have been one of the unfittest sides in the afl in recent years but carlton have the luxury of cordy. Warnock WILL be an AA ruckman. If you watch some of the games from this year alot of the commentators talk up Warnock massively saying freo would be stupid to give him away. We got a ruckman who is 21 at pick 24. Screw pick 50whatever. How many decent players come after that pick? You can't get 40 players on the park and with alot of our players aged under 22 they will be on the park in the next 10 years you would hope (Jamison, Bower, Austin, Armfield, Browne, Anderson, Grigg, Edwards, Hartlettx2 [Quite sure Hamish will be a blue if Hurley not available])

You my friend seem to have no idea.

We gave them pick 56 you clown i think you need to look at the big picture mate. We have a mountain of youth coming through so the compromised drafts should not really affect us as it may to other teams.

We would be stoked to pick up a player of that quality at 24 in this draft anyway and is less of a gamble as we have seem him at AFL level.

Get your head out of your ass.

3 picks in the top 70 I'm not the clown, and you can't get your head out of your ass because your head is that big

3 picks in the top 70 I'm not the clown, and you can't get your head out of your ass because your head is that big

Good call :cool:

So if we had of kept pick 56 we have 4 in the top 70, big deal.

So we pick up -

Ziebell - pick 6

Warnock - pick 24

Best KPP - pick 40

Best available - pick 69

and your not happy with that???? something is wrong with you.

We got warnock for pick 24. If we could have chosen a player with years of development with the talent and potential (and height!!) like warnock we would have selected him.

We could of got a Shaun Mckernan, Lewis Johnston. A talented player would of slipped to 24. We need KPP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CFC16,

Here is an exercise for you:

1) Have a look at the players available in this draft
2) Work out which players are likely to go around pick 24
3) Determine which of these players are 206cm tall, skillfull and athletic and also fill a massive need in our list for the future.

The fact is the chances of Warnock being better in the future than whoever is picked at 24 are very very good.

Therefore, if you were a betting man, you'd put your money on the Warnock/pick 69 combo.

Well in answer to 3... none are anyway near 206cm

HEIGHT – tallest players at the draft camp
1 – Ayce Cordy (Geelong Falcons, VIC – ruckman) – 201.7cm
2 – Nick Naitanui (Swan Districts, WA – ruckman) – 200.9cm
3 – Rhys Stanley (West Adelaide, SA – ruckman) – 200.4cm
4 – Tyrone Vickery (Sandringham Dragons, VIC – ruckman) – 200.0cm
5 – Jordan Roughead (North Ballarat Rebels, VIC – ruckman) – 199.7cm
6 – Bart McCulloch (Tassie Mariners, TAS – ruckman) – 198.9cm
7 – Tom Hill (Northern Knights, VIC – ruckman) – 198.5cm
8 – Jackson Trengove (Calder Cannons, VIC – tall forward) – 196.5cm
9 – Shaun McKernan (Calder Cannons, VIC – ruckman) – 196.0cm
10 – Jack Watts (Sandringham Dragons, VIC – tall forward) – 195.8cm

We could of got a Shaun Mckernan, Lewis Johnston. A talented player would of slipped to 24. We need KPP

They wont last that long especially Mckernan. Gettting Warnock allows kruezer to play forward to provide that target.
We also have the option of playing Cloke at CHF to provide a target and have Warnock and Kruezer rotating ruck duties whilst Hammer develops in the ants. Im not debating that a talented player would have slipped to our pick its just not as likely.

We have done the right thing for the club!

Look I hope Warnock becomes a great player at Carlton, but having 3 picks in the top 70 especially now with GC17 coming in is not good, we should of traded to get another top 40 pick.

We got a talented player with 24. Locked in. Has shown he can step up to senior level.

Go back through the second round of previous drafts and convince yourself that we would have got anything better than Warnock at 24.

Cloke is and always has been a forward, not a ruck.

For the last two years everyone has convinced themselves he isn't a ruck. Why is it that now we talk about moving him forward, he isn't a KPP?

With Kreuzer at CHF/ruck, Cloke Fev and Fisher rotating through the F50...........where is Johnstone or McKernan going to play?

Centre half bench.

We have enough youth. We have an awesome pick. We can use said awesome pick to get an awesome player.

24 was used to get us something we need. 40 is good enough to grab a KPP.
Getting Warnock means we can have Kreuzer and Cloke running through the forward line.

Etc, so on and so forth.

Look I hope Warnock becomes a great player at Carlton, but having 3 picks in the top 70 especially now with GC17 coming in is not good, we should of traded to get another top 40 pick.

I agree with that I was hoping we could of traded and got something for either of Thorton, Bentick, Fisher but obviously no one was prepared to give us a fair trade. There was talk of Setanta being traded but im glad we didn't, we would of got a 4th round pick at best and I reacon he is worth more than that underated I have him penciled at full back next year.

we should of traded to get another top 40 pick.
Have a look at the type of player that attracted the top 40 pick.........Prismall.

Who on our list is the quality of him that you'd be happy to part with in order to take a punt on an unknown at pick 30 something?

How many "quality" players do you normally add per draft?

Most clubs assume at least 1, hope for 2, and anything more than that is a bonus.

We have pretty much guaranteed two, so if our pick 40 is good then its a bonus.

you guys have a steal. He will be a very good player. Has a bit of nasty about him and incredibly good below the knees for someone of his size. You got the better of the deal but i look forward to the time that the ace is in our hand.

Have a look at the type of player that attracted the top 40 pick.........Prismall.

Who on our list is the quality of him that you'd be happy to part with in order to take a punt on an unknown at pick 30 something?

How many "quality" players do you normally add per draft?

Most clubs assume at least 1, hope for 2, and anything more than that is a bonus.

We have pretty much guaranteed two, so if our pick 40 is good then its a bonus.

Prismall was underpriced because of his injury, he would have been worth more than pick 39 so it isn't really a good comparison.

Read my post a few pages back, I'm sure a few of you had a quick look as it was a bit long. What I was eluding to is quality ruckman don't bring premierships if you don't have runners and quality users of the ball. However it is possible for it to happen the other way around, just look at the Hawks.

While pick 24, while EVER pick is a risk, don't seen Warnock as to much more of a certainty. What makes anyone so sure he will be quality? You seem to have it fixed that he will become a very good ruckman, his value and hype has all been on potential, isn't that also what a draft pick holds?

I would have been more inclined to take a quality user and runner of the ball at pick 24, which could be valued as a first round in most other drafts, than a ruckman. Yes, while he is a little more of a risk, you can't find quality ball-users with pace later in the draft, ruckman however are a different story.

I think most of you are setting the bar far to high for Warnock.

Read my post before and you'll understand what I'm getting at, to me, it's not a for gone conclusion that this trade will be a success.

Prismall was underpriced because of his injury, he would have been worth more than pick 39 so it isn't really a good comparison.
Sure, but the point is NO clubs were giving up second rounders for anything other than goodplayers, or freaks with massive upside. We had neither on the table.
That was my point.
Bentick and the like......even Houlihan who I;m sure was put up was never going to get us another early pick.
Read my post a few pages back, I'm sure a few of you had a quick look as it was a bit long. What I was eluding to is quality ruckman don't bring premierships if you don't have runners and quality users of the ball. However it is possible for it to happen the other way around, just look at the Hawks.
Sure, the Hawks strength is thier running midfield, but I think you underestimate how good their ruck division is.
While pick 24, while EVER pick is a risk, don't seen Warnock as to much more of a certainty. What makes anyone so sure he will be quality? You seem to have it fixed that he will become a very good ruckman, his value and hype has all been on potential, isn't that also what a draft pick holds?
Well I guess you could have said the same about Gibbs at the end of last year, or Kreuzer this year.
No huge number of "great" performance s on the board, but if you watch how he plays the game you can see he is a natural footballer.
Don't worry, I have led the chanrge on "Don't get carried away" with Warnock as he hasn't done heaps.....but this was more in reaction to not paying too much.
We paid about the right price IMO. Watch his game vs King earlier this year.
We have Warnock on that Friday vs Saints and we win that game. Simple.
Doesn't need to be the leagues best or anywhere near it......but he will get his hand to the ball a number of times.

I would have been more inclined to take a quality user and runner of the ball at pick 24, which could be valued as a first round in most other drafts, than a ruckman. Yes, while he is a little more of a risk, you can't find quality ball-users with pace later in the draft, ruckman however are a different story.

I think most of you are setting the bar far to high for Warnock.

Read my post before and you'll understand what I'm getting at, to me, it's not a for gone conclusion that this trade will be a success.
Sure......and what if Judd keeps breaking down while Kennedy, Masten and Notte go on to be stars.

When is any trade a decalred "winner".

The point is clearly our list management decided we needed another ruck. If we take a quality bal user at 6 (Harts, Ziebell) then would you be happy to take Warnock, with some (albeit limited) proven senior AFL form at 24? Of course you would.

The other thing is, in past drafts, how many quality ball users are around in the second round? I would have though we would have looked at a tall with that pick anyway?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Wornock Trade Not Good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back