Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt the pants thing originate in US jails as a way of gay prisoners letting other gay prisoners know they were available for ....?
I always heard it was because they couldn't have belts. Y'know, because of the whole hanging thing...

I don't understand how they take the big pack marks.
I don't understand how they take those hits and keep going.
I don't understand how they bend it in.

n21Pu.png

Last of of all, I don't understand why I was born with such a punchable face.
Odds are he understands quite well.

The laws of attraction and how some of the dodgiest guys end up with some pretty fine ladies.

You mean looks wise? If so, speaking from a gals persepective, looks dont play a huge part in attraction. Was just speaking about this with the girls at work the other day. We basically all were of the opinion that even if a guys somewhat average looking, if he's got a great personality, confidence, or is just a nice guy they get way more points than some gorgeous guy that knows he's hot and is a total douchebag. It's an instant turn off that no good looks can save!

If you mean 'dodgy' personality wise and/or otherwise...well some girls are insecure and will take anything they can get rather than being alone...or theyre just plain stupid lol

On the same topic, though reversed, I myself can't understand the laws of attraction where a good looking guy ends up with a really plain looking or even ugly girl. Ive seen this too many times over the years for it to be just isolated cases. Often the girls are total bitches too! Its stereotypical I know, but I thought the majority of guys are more visually attracted to a chick more than anything else, at least initally

Maybe some of you guys can help explain this mystery???

Women's obssesion with shoes I will never understand.
Shoes define an outfit. What say I wanted to wear a work uniform of a white shirt and black pants. If I wore it with runners, it would look casual and even a bit sporty. If I wore it with a pair of classic leather black heels, it transforms it into a smart, feminine business look. If I wore it with a pair of leopard print wedges, it turns into a fun party outfit.

But straight to the point here. If we get fat, we'll still fit into our shoes

The rules of Rugby Union it seems like no one understands.
Sure. Run 5 m, *crowd cheer*, hug overweight man, *crowd cheer*.

I don't understand the Megan Gale hype. I've seen better-looking horses before.

I don't understand fishing. My dad and brothers absolutely love fishing, and used to bring me along heaps. I just don't get it. You spend heaps of money on bait, rods, gear, chairs, etc. You sit there for hours with a bloody string hoping that the fish nearby are dumb enough to bite. Nothing exciting about it whatsoever. Oh and seafood is disgusting.

I don't understand Melbourne hype. I mean, I love it here, this is my home...but it gets pumped up way too much for what it is. Melbourne's #1 attraction...Yarra River?? Fed Square?? Food?? Sydney's #1 attraction...Opera House, Harbour Bridge, ferries, Darling Harbour, Bondi.

I don't understand the appeal of alcohol. Smells and tastes foul IMO.

I don't understand fishing. My dad and brothers absolutely love fishing, and used to bring me along heaps. I just don't get it. You spend heaps of money on bait, rods, gear, chairs, etc. You sit there for hours with a bloody string hoping that the fish nearby are dumb enough to bite. Nothing exciting about it whatsoever. Oh and seafood is disgusting.

That's the attraction. Peace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did sunglasses become a fashion item? They all look the same. Now there's an ad for specsavers with a designer and his 'Special frames' - which look exactly like all the others.

I know this applies to most fashion items, but seriously, I cannot see any 'fashion' difference between various glasses styles - some look good on your face, and some dont - depends on your face.

On the same topic, though reversed, I myself can't understand the laws of attraction where a good looking guy ends up with a really plain looking or even ugly girl. Ive seen this too many times over the years for it to be just isolated cases. Often the girls are total bitches too! Its stereotypical I know, but I thought the majority of guys are more visually attracted to a chick more than anything else, at least initally

Maybe some of you guys can help explain this mystery???
Where's fairdinkum when you need him...

If the internet has made anybody dumber I think I'll cry.

A very disappointing reality about the internet is that despite there being numerous news/analysis/considered opinion sites worth reading most people are herded to the online versions of the pre-existing tabloid shit anyway (Nine's ninemsn, News Ltd's news.com.au, etc). Then they pretend they think "That shouldn't be news" despite repeatedly reading "Celebrity stuck up a tree" stories.

This is probably the same in every country...

Not sure what this has to do with me.

Unless you are saying I am a good-looking guy with an average-looking girlfriend.

Which would be wrong on several counts.
Hah, thought you could solve his 'mystery' :p (She puts out, relationship fella)

Dagless Oh, okay. Let me have a crack at this one.

I've posted before that if I were an average (or below-average) looking woman searching for a partner, I would move to/visit smaller towns where the number of men outweighs the number of women significantly. Every time I camp near Yarrawonga (for instance), when I go into town I see very plain women with handsome men - the sort of fellas who would be doing very well for themselves if they lived in the city. Simple supply and demand. Ergo, some attractive men with ordinary women are simply taking what they can get in a distorted market.

However, there are also cases of men who could do much better who seem to actually prefer to go for ordinary chicks. I call them Plain Chasers and I cannot explain this phenomenon. I read recently that when Arnie Schwarzenegger was filming some film decades ago, he would have his girlfriend of sorts flown down to see him whenever he had a break from shooting. Can't remember who she was but she was very plain and all of the girls on set wondered why he gave this girl so much attention when they, many of them very attractive, would have been quite happy to 'service' Arnie themselves any time he wanted.

Apparently Arnie preferred to be with more ordinary women because they cherished his good looks and all the attention in the relationships went on him, whereas models and other hot women weren't so easily impressed (they can attract guys with hot bods any time they like) so he didn't get off on being with them - he had to be the centre of attention.

Maybe that's how it is for some of these Plain Chasers: they are deeply insecure about themselves so being with women who will have little chance to ever 'upgrade' from them, and treat them very well as a result, is their main motivation.

Funnily enough, I once knew a guy who was handsome, intelligent, very good at his chosen sport, and extremely likeable, who was with a very below-average woman for years. And he treated her so well. News got back to me long after I had moved elsewhere that she did the dirty on him with his mate. Plain Chasers beware.

Or they might be people who realise that it's actually rather difficult to find a partner who will tolerate you for the next 50-60 years that you can actually stand to be around, so when you find someone who has the potential to fit the bill then stunning good looks may not be an absolute dealbreaker.

Who said anything about 'stunning'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back