Things more aggressive than our recruitment strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

And the 2 years prior?

None of the 3 we are getting are anywhere near the quality of Rankine and Dawson

Of the list of players who’ll be moving this trade period, our 3 wouldn’t be in the top 10.

This is true. This is why although its great to be happy, its important to put the signings into perspective. All three add depth to their positions, give us flexibility and they do make our best 22 slightly better.

2 of the players Peatling and Cumming played in a team that lost in straight sets in the finals.
ANB didnt play finals at all.

Peatling: Increases our midfield depth and provides us an extra goal kicking mid. Could turn into a star. Yet to reach his peak so he is an unknown.

Cumming: comes into the defense where we have a lot of depth already and I am not sure he offers anymore then the other players we have. Merely increases our depth and variety when injuries occur. Likely to start the season but defense is the spot where the most pressure is and competition is going to come thick and fast especially from Ryan and Milera.

ANB: Upgrade on Murphy. Should be a meaningful contributor up forward. Is a consistent player. Would be good in that high half forward linking role.

As I said, great to be happy but we need to temper our expectations. We still lack a fully function premier midfield. Until we fix that, I dont think its realistic to expect these players to lead us to the promise land. We are on the right track though. We need another off season like this one next year.

Not sure how you reached that conclusion. It’s literally the opposite of what I was saying.

I feel like this should be somewhat par for an offseason, or ok maybe slightly better than normal. Most are doing cartwheels though because we’re used to rejection.

C'mon - in the last 36 months (4 trading periods) we got Dawson, Rankine, Cumming, ANB and Peatling. Thats a bloody impressive haul.

Now to get the thread back on track - Here is something (slightly) more aggressive than our recruitment strategy

Australia One Planet GIF by BBC America

From what I can tell people are mistaking voice of reason style analysis for negativity.

Its great some of you on here are blindly excited because we got some shiny new toys for Christmas. But last time I checked none of these players have won us a game yet let alone propelled us to finals. Two of the three players played in a finals side that got ousted in straight sets and the third one played in a side that didnt play finals at all. So time will tell how much of a springboard these players can be.

What absolute crap.

We should temper our excitement of Peatling and Cumming because GWS lost to the Swans at the SCG by 6 points and the premiers by 5 points?

You realize we poached Dawson from a team that didnt win a final and Rankine has never played a final????

What absolute crap.

We should temper our excitement of Peatling and Cumming because GWS lost to the Swans at the SCG by 6 points and the premiers by 5 points?

You realize we poached Dawson from a team that didnt win a final and Rankine has never played a final????

You have missed the point. I didnt say dont get excited, just that its got to be put into perspective. But its up to you. If you want to walk into next year thinking everyone who doesn't expect a premiership is wrong i suspect you are going to end the season with disappointment.

Also my point around them losing in finals and in ANBs case not playing in finals at all is we cant expect them to make a huge difference to our results. Last time I checked, Dawson and Rankine have not taking us to finals either. Dont get me wrong, they are by far an improvement and add depth and flexibility to out list, so they are a step in the right direction. But its just a step. We need to find that mid, we need to develop our younger players.

Do you trust Nicks not to just throw every mature body into the side chasing finals and Curtin, Dowling, Taylor, Bond are just thrown back to Sanfl.

Some of you are easily satisfied

Man oh man.

I don't know how anyone isnt satisfied that Cumming, ANB and Peatling all nominated us.

Not sure if you missed our 2024 season - but we came 15th and won 8 games. The following players played games:

McHenry (10), Jones (16), Hamill (7), Murphy (17), Berry (18), Burgess (7).

There are only 22 positions on the field. We just upgraded 14% of our team on gameday.

Man oh man.

I don't know how anyone isnt satisfied that Cumming, ANB and Peatling all nominated us.

Not sure if you missed our 2024 season - but we came 15th and won 8 games. The following players played games:

McHenry (10), Jones (16), Hamill (7), Murphy (17), Berry (18), Burgess (7).

There are only 22 positions on the field. We just upgraded 14% of our team on gameday.

Agree whole heartedly. its a step in the right direction. im not even being negative as I am not expecting it to be a fail. What I want to see is how will Nicks coach in response, what will our game plan look like and will he be able to use these players to take us to finals? will he still develop guys like Dowling and Curtin? Or will he shit the bed? Thats why I am tempering my expectation.

C'mon - in the last 36 months (4 trading periods) we got Dawson, Rankine, Cumming, ANB and Peatling. Thats a bloody impressive haul.

Now to get the thread back on track - Here is something (slightly) more aggressive than our recruitment strategy

Australia One Planet GIF by BBC America
It is the best purple patch we’ve had since getting Jarman, Bond, Koster, James, Caven.

Lots of strike outs though, and we’ve reportedly gone hard. Gulden, Mcluggage, Hayward, NWM, Day, Redman, Chol (say what you like he’s better than Burgess). Im probably missing a few.

I guess jagging a gun with no SA ties would make me a believer.

Last edited:
You have missed the point. I didnt say dont get excited, just that its got to be put into perspective. But its up to you. If you want to walk into next year thinking everyone who doesn't expect a premiership is wrong i suspect you are going to end the season with disappointment.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting these 3 are going to catapult us into premiership contention.

A bunch of you claim that the happy clappers try and turn everything into a positive - the same thing happens in reverse. There is nothing negative about 3 best 22 players from other clubs choosing to play football at Adelaide.

Also my point around them losing in finals and in ANBs case not playing in finals at all is we cant expect them to make a huge difference to our results. Last time I checked, Dawson and Rankine have not taking us to finals either.

Cumming won 2 finals as part of a best 22 for GWS 12 months ago. ANB was one of Melbourne's best in 2021 when they won the flag.

We can expect them to make a massive difference to our club.

Dont get me wrong, they are by far an improvement and add depth and flexibility to out list, so they are a step in the right direction. But its just a step. We need to find that mid, we need to develop our younger players.

No doubt. Nobody is out here saying our job as a club is complete now. But this offseason has been a very very positive result.

Do you trust Nicks not to just throw every mature body into the side chasing finals and Curtin, Dowling, Taylor, Bond are just thrown back to Sanfl.

No. I think we now have a very very good list. I don't trust Nicks at all.

I have mixed feelings.

Thats your own issues.

Can’t knock getting 3 best 22 players in.

Feels like we’ve fallen arse backwards into it though.

ANB has time back for personal reasons.

Peatling seems to be coming as Cumming is coming.

Ha ha ha.... This post is gold.

"I am not racist, but (goes on to say something racist)"

"Can't knock getting 3 best players, but (knocks the club by diminishing what they have accomplished).

Sure ANB is coming back for personal reasons - but he nominated us over the top 4 power who have played finals the past 4 years and apart from Rioli only have McEntee and Evans as small forwards.

You say that Peatling is only nominating Adelaide because Cumming is joining the Crows, but no mention of how we bloody poached Cumming from GWS.

This is a results based business - the club should be applauded for landing Dawson, Rankine, ANB, Cumming and Peatling over the past 36 months.

We should expect to attract players in this fashion most years, but we strike out a lot. Even on ex SA players.

Your expectation is that we poach 3 best 22 players each year from other clubs?

We have poached 5 best 22 players over the past 4 offseasons. Thats a bloody tremendous haul.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats your own issues.

Ha ha ha.... This post is gold.

"I am not racist, but (goes on to say something racist)"

"Can't knock getting 3 best players, but (knocks the club by diminishing what they have accomplished).

Sure ANB is coming back for personal reasons - but he nominated us over the top 4 power who have played finals the past 4 years and apart from Rioli only have McEntee and Evans as small forwards.

You say that Peatling is only nominating Adelaide because Cumming is joining the Crows, but no mention of how we bloody poached Cumming from GWS.

This is a results based business - the club should be applauded for landing Dawson, Rankine, ANB, Cumming and Peatling over the past 36 months.

Your expectation is that we poach 3 best 22 players each year from other clubs?

We have poached 5 best 22 players over the past 4 offseasons. Thats a bloody tremendous haul.
My expectation is that we improve the side every year via trade and free agency.

And while we’ve got a couple of guns back in Rankine and Dawson, we have oodles of cap space, so it’s easy to argue that we’ve underachieved.

We also seem to end up with who’s available, rather than filling a specific need.

The best clubs do it all the time. If they need a star player in a premium position they go out and get it. We’re still not at that level.

ED is right. Some people are easily pleased because the bar has been set low.

My expectation is that we improve the side every year via trade and free agency.

And while we’ve got a couple of guns back in Rankine and Dawson, we have oodles of cap space, so it’s easy to argue that we’ve underachieved.

We also seem to end up with who’s available, rather than filling a specific need.

The best clubs do it all the time. If they need a star player in a premium position they go out and get it. We’re still not at that level.

You don't think we have filled specific needs this offseason?

We have been screaming to add to the midfield. We secure Peatling who GWS were desperate to keep. 7 other clubs wanted him. Look at Peatlings CBA's as the season progressed. He was GWS 3rd or 4th best midfielder - pushing out Coniglio and Kelly out of the rotations.

ED is right. Some people are easily pleased because the bar has been set low.

Disagree. Some people are so focused on all the shit the club has put them through (and rightly so) - they can't acknowledge the positive moves the club has made without putting a negative spin on it.

You don't think we have filled specific needs this offseason?

We have been screaming to add to the midfield. We secure Peatling who GWS were desperate to keep. 7 other clubs wanted him. Look at Peatlings CBA's as the season progressed. He was GWS 3rd or 4th best midfielder - pushing out Coniglio and Kelly out of the rotations.

Disagree. Some people are so focused on all the shit the club has put them through (and rightly so) - they can't acknowledge the positive moves the club has made without putting a negative spin on it.

We have filled needs without shaking the best players loose from clubs. We upgraded Murphy with ANB. Peatling deepens our midfield / forwards and Cummings deepens our defensive stocks. Its a good step though.

What in the Dr. Phil is this rubbish?
If you'd ever lived interstate or overseas you'd understand how f*cken backward Adelaide is

How slow to make a decision on any sort of project or progress

This isn't Dr Phil rubbish, this is the sad mindset of a large proportion of the population here

Remove this Banner Ad

Things more aggressive than our recruitment strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back