Society & Culture Things that Make You Feel Old

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished a drive from Cannes, France to Tarragona Spain and back again. 15 hour drive with one hour sleep at 4 am this morning. I just crawled into bed and dont think Im ever getting out again.

Back in the day I could do Melbourne to GC in 25 hours and hit the pub after.

Just finished a drive from Cannes, France to Tarragona Spain and back again. 15 hour drive with one hour sleep at 4 am this morning. I just crawled into bed and dont think Im ever getting out again.

Back in the day I could do Melbourne to GC in 25 hours and hit the pub after.
Drug run or Is that what the dice told you to do ?

First game coaching junior cricket (under 10s), on topic for this thread, real Dad shit.

I certainly realised I hadn't taught the kids the importance of staying in their crease, and unfortunately their keeper was very aware and got about 12 stumpings (they just swap ends at the fall of the wicket).

Best moment probably was when at square leg one of the opposition little shi... ah players said that there's no way my team can win. I suggested that he should concentrate on fielding and I also "champed" him, felt good champing an 8 year old.

Liam Payne's death made me feel both old and sad. I have some inkling what a lot of the young people mourning him are going through because I suspect for many it will be the first time a contemporary be that someone they had admired or knew has died and that first brush with mortality can hit you like a f***ing Mack truck. A guy I went to primary school with brother in law drove into the back of a petrol tanker on the road back from Melbourne when I was about fifteen and I was numb for weeks even though we were never particularly close. Nowadays conversations begin too often with news about someone's parents dying or someone's health issues.

For me it was Lennon - just flabbergasted

It was tempered by the knowledge that it wasnt self inflicted as it seems Liams was. But Lennon was this old dude who I admired

Ironically it was Laura Brannigans death that hit home. Not that I was a superfan but as she was similar in age made me realise my own mortality on a closer level

It was tempered by the knowledge that it wasnt self inflicted as it seems Liams was. But Lennon was this old dude who I admired

Ironically it was Laura Brannigans death that hit home. Not that I was a superfan but as she was similar in age made me realise my own mortality on a closer level
It was the late Sturt Full Forward Ken Whelan who was one of me teachers that got me into John Lennon and the Beatles, every chance he got he'd play their stuff. He'd also kick back at his desk and smoke cheroots which I'm pretty sure you can't do anymore.

First game coaching junior cricket (under 10s), on topic for this thread, real Dad shit.

I certainly realised I hadn't taught the kids the importance of staying in their crease, and unfortunately their keeper was very aware and got about 12 stumpings (they just swap ends at the fall of the wicket).

Best moment probably was when at square leg one of the opposition little shi... ah players said that there's no way my team can win. I suggested that he should concentrate on fielding and I also "champed" him, felt good champing an 8 year old.
Some real Damir Dokic vibes starting to appear here. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Some real Damir Dokic vibes starting to appear here. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
76a46102-c9c8-46f5-901e-5da6215d9aa2_text.gif

I remember when we were in NY in 2012 going past the building near Central Park where he was assassinated and people were still crowding there all these years later. Must have been a real shocker when it happened

I remember when we were in NY in 2012 going past the building near Central Park where he was assassinated and people were still crowding there all these years later. Must have been a real shocker when it happened
People said they remember where they were when Kennedy was shot and when the Towers came down

Me it was Lennon that was the impact on me that day.

Not so much hard hitting but it was Shirley Strachan's death made me realise that dead people don't come back alive.

At the time, I didn't believe Shirl was a real person.
Just some dude from the TV (and also the radio) who could appear in different places.

Steve Irwin's death was shocking but I didn't feel emotional about it.
Thought it was part and parcel of his livelihood.

The 3 that really hit were:

Eddie Guerrero.
Chester Bennington.
Shane Warne.

Warnie seemed omnipresent and was larger than life.

Lastly, every now and then, I get a jolt thinking about an old yearmate who died following a cancer fight and it's a forever empty spot in cohort dynamics.

6 years now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Society & Culture Things that Make You Feel Old

Remove this Banner Ad

Back