Things that please me - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to the Western Reds first home game at the WACA back in 1995, it was a sell out or close to it.

They got pretty good crowds in their first year but then the novelty wore off and the crowds dropped off.

There is a group trying to get the Bears restarted again but located in Perth.
They're beyond trying, it seems about 80% of the way to that being confirmed. Only 1 game at North Sydney each year but it looks like it's going to be the Perth Bears.

I stopped following NRL after the Manly hostile takeover of Norths followed by the disgraceful dumping of the name, but I still like the shirt.
Me too. I still give NRL a passing interest but nowhere near the level of interest I had when the Bears were in it. I'd probably be the same with AFL if Essendon were evicted. Officiating these days is becoming unbearable to the point of unwatchable.

sometimes, just sometimes - old hey hey clips come online and are as funny now as they were 30 years ago

I went to the Western Reds first home game at the WACA back in 1995, it was a sell out or close to it.

They got pretty good crowds in their first year but then the novelty wore off and the crowds dropped off.
Did't help that Julian O'Neill and Mark Geyer were the poster boys.
Both were at peak bad boy phase.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicked from Twatter.

This is one of the most brazen Australian protest stories. In 1956, as the Olympic torch was making its way to Melbourne for the Games, a USyd student, Barry Larkin, pulled off a stunt that needs to be remembered in the annals of Aus sports & activism history.

torch relay.png

Disguised as an official torchbearer, Larkin carried a fake Olympic flame through the streets of Sydney. His 'torch'? A painted chair leg topped with a tin can and a pair of burning undies!

This wasn't just a prank—it was an act of protest. Larkin and his friends were making a statement against the torch relay's Nazi origins (yep, the relay was a Nazi invention). The Nazis wanted to use the torch as a propaganda symbol for the 1936 Berlin games.

torch relay 2.png

The hoax was flawless. Crowds, assuming Larkin was the real torchbearer cheered him on as he ran. the police even cleared his path. Even the Mayor of Sydney was fooled, accepting the fake torch in a grand ceremony to welcome the torch to Sydney as it made its way to MEL.

While many were amused, the authorities were not. The incident highlighted the tension between traditional Olympic ideals and modern-day realities, sparking debates about the true spirit of the Games. The 1956 Melbourne Games went off without a hitch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Things that please me - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back