Things that please me - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicked from Twatter.

This is one of the most brazen Australian protest stories. In 1956, as the Olympic torch was making its way to Melbourne for the Games, a USyd student, Barry Larkin, pulled off a stunt that needs to be remembered in the annals of Aus sports & activism history.

View attachment 2058511

Disguised as an official torchbearer, Larkin carried a fake Olympic flame through the streets of Sydney. His 'torch'? A painted chair leg topped with a tin can and a pair of burning undies!

This wasn't just a prank—it was an act of protest. Larkin and his friends were making a statement against the torch relay's Nazi origins (yep, the relay was a Nazi invention). The Nazis wanted to use the torch as a propaganda symbol for the 1936 Berlin games.

View attachment 2058515

The hoax was flawless. Crowds, assuming Larkin was the real torchbearer cheered him on as he ran. the police even cleared his path. Even the Mayor of Sydney was fooled, accepting the fake torch in a grand ceremony to welcome the torch to Sydney as it made its way to MEL.

While many were amused, the authorities were not. The incident highlighted the tension between traditional Olympic ideals and modern-day realities, sparking debates about the true spirit of the Games. The 1956 Melbourne Games went off without a hitch.

Been watching this show where sell rare collecting peices.
Someone w wanted one of this comics.
1722000585808.png

It pleases me that most of the world's right wing religious nutjobs are spewing about the blasphemous depiction of the Last Supper in the Olympics opening ceremony.

It's showing them up for the unread, uneducated, uncultured arseholes that they are.

dionysis.jpg

It pleases me that most of the world's right wing religious nutjobs are spewing about the blasphemous depiction of the Last Supper in the Olympics opening ceremony.

It's showing them up for the unread, uneducated, uncultured arseholes that they are.

View attachment 2061792

Especially when the Olympic's social channels made it clear during that segment of the opening ceremony what it was about

1722154359108.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chinese trolling foreign leaders by welcoming them with the deputy assistant airport manager.

Now they have taken it to the next level after the Italian fencing coach spat the dummy when they lost to Hong Kong.
italian whinge.jpg

Pizza Hut in Hong Kong responded by offering free pineapple on pizza until 6pm tomorrow night :D

pizza hut hong kong.jpg

Bonz what say you, brother?

Chinese trolling foreign leaders by welcoming them with the deputy assistant airport manager.

Now they have taken it to the next level after the Italian fencing coach spat the dummy when they lost to Hong Kong.
View attachment 2064639

Pizza Hut in Hong Kong responded by offering free pineapple on pizza until 6pm tomorrow night :D

View attachment 2064640

Bonz what say you, brother?

I am actually legally not allowed to speak out on refereeing at FIE Grade events after an incident in my poule at a competition this year 😅

But can say this, in fencing a lot of calls are based on the referees interpretation, and fencers from different areas do fence different to each other. So sometimes things can get lost in transition.

Generally at FIE level events (Olympics included) the video referee is from a different region, so if you review calls can be changed.

Whatever happened to the good old British stiff upper lip, spirit of the Blitz and all that? My family has never been particularly good at emoting so that mindset suited me down to a tee, then the country lost it's collective mind when Diana died and it's never quite been the same again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Things that please me - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back