Things that please me - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

The dog turned 1 about a month ago and finally seems to have grasped the concept of tug 'o' war. Before now he only did it when he had things he knew he shouldn't have.
I had a mastiff who would excitedly bring you toys then look completely baffled if you threw it away for fetch or just gave it to you when trying to play tug o war. He never figured out any of those games

Between trying to chew his lead on a walk, not understanding games, lying down midwalk expecting you to carry him home, splash his water bowl rather than drink it, it's a wonder he was smart enough to live as long as he did. He was the best dog though, just dumb as a bag of rocks

A new addition to my life. Been an absolute pleasure so far. My 14 week Pup Socks.

DSC-1951-2.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tell ya what G, I will never get a puppy again after this horsedog has ruined half my house. It's strictly dogs aged 2+ for me in the future!

Like this one of my boys
View attachment 2089088

Our daughter’s GSP is 4 years old and still destructive. Not as bad as he was but you still wonder what he has done everytime you come home.

That picture resembled the couch cushions with the lounge itself ending up in the middle of the room.
Eats or chews anything and everything - cannot leave food anywhere

Spent thousands training him to no avail

Our daughter’s GSP is 4 years old and still destructive. Not as bad as he was but you still wonder what he has done everytime you come home.

That picture resembled the couch cushions with the lounge itself ending up in the middle of the room.
Eats or chews anything and everything - cannot leave food anywhere

Spent thousands training him to no avail
Sounds like separation anxiety.

Crate training is the answer here - "its cruel to lock them up in a cage" - it gives them their own quiet safe space where they don't feel they have to be hypervigilant protecting the entire house from bad things when you're gone.

My experience is dogs object to it far less than humans do on their behalf, but do it properly at the dogs own pace. Might be worth looking into if you haven't already.

And here's a couple of fosters of mine from a few years ago:

nelly4.jpg

angry-birds.jpg

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding this but you can't just pay someone to train your dog. You still need to do the work as the owner.

We do the work and he was going ok, but he has regressed since my daughter has had a baby - needs to be the centre of attention and destroys something when he isn’t.

The counter surfing is the one thing we can’t break him of and it could be because our dog is a Labradoodle and both are food centric - who knows but the last 4 months have been insane

We are going to get the trainer to come out so that they can work with both and hopefully that helps

He is crate trained Over The Post but it’s just difficult now that she’s living with us and we don’t like one in and the other out and I’m not crating ours because he’s great

It’s just frustration from us more than anything

Last edited:
He is crate trained Over The Post but it’s just difficult now that she’s living with us and we don’t like one in and the other out and I’m not creating ours because he’s great

OK

We do the work and he was going ok, but he has regressed since my daughter has had a baby - needs to be the centre of attention and destroys something when he isn’t.

The counter surfing is the one thing we can’t break him of and it could be because our dog is a Labradoodle and both are food centric - who knows but the last 4 months have been insane

We are going to get the trainer to come out so that they can work with both and hopefully that helps

He is crate trained Over The Post but it’s just difficult now that she’s living with us and we don’t like one in and the other out and I’m not crating ours because he’s great

Nevertheless the destructive one should go into the crate, when you can’t supervise him. You are the one suffering from his bad behaviour.

Counter surfing? Does that mean jumping up on the kitchen bench looking for food? Sorry but I am aghast.

Nevertheless the destructive one should go into the crate, when you can’t supervise him. You are the one suffering from his bad behaviour.

Counter surfing? Does that mean jumping up on the kitchen bench looking for food? Sorry but I am aghast.

It’s easy to say that but it just triggers different behaviours. I do need to say that since he has come to live with us he is not as destructive - think our dog calms him but still has behaviours that aren’t acceptable

And yes - we can’t leave any food on the counter - GSP’s are renowned for their leap and it is a nightmare and we need to get it sorted

It’s easy to say that but it just triggers different behaviours. I do need to say that since he has come to live with us he is not as destructive - think our dog calms him but still has behaviours that aren’t acceptable

And yes - we can’t leave any food on the counter - GSP’s are renowned for their leap and it is a nightmare and we need to get it sorted
I’ve only had outdoor dogs. Cats will also do it if allowed 😉

7CF26595-F645-4884-85E2-0DA5B3534A70.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Things that please me - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back