Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got a weird fascination with heights where it's a love / hate thing

I've learnt to enjoy observation decks, glass floors where you can look straight down etc - where there's something of a safety barrier type feeling

And for something different, when I was in Adelaide in March I did the Adelaide Oval twilight roof climb and that was fun - also great to watch the sun setting from up there even though we didn't get to take our own photos

What I struggle with & have always struggled with is things like external observation decks like when out hiking - as I kid I remember going to the Grampians and Halls Gap with my parents, my dad was happy to walk close to the edge, but not for me

The other is walking over bridges & piers - I'm getting better with piers, though it's not really comfortable. Bridges I totally struggle with though - my first visit to San Fran I cycled over the Golden Gate Bridge and that was ok, on my second visit I wanted to test myself by walking over it. Even with being on the inside & no direct view over the edge, as soon as the land beneath dropped away & it was only water below, my legs went to jelly and I had to force myself to the first pylon - I got there & back which I was proud of

I've thought about both the Sydney Harbour Bridge climb & Story Bridge climb on recent trips to those cities, but not sure I could do them

Being ghosted.

Grow a ****ing spine and communicate like the adult you are. Your frontal lobe is fully developed, it’s 2024, BE BETTER.

****s sake.

Edited to add: this situation is particularly displeasing because we both outlined in the beginning that being open, honest and communicative is important to both of us.

I was thinking on the weekend that I've been lucky to get through all of June without getting sick, and now I'm sick.

Went to Uluru with 12 other people. Four of us only climbed partway 😔. I did climb and walk all the way around King’s Canyon though. With a heavy cold 😮‍💨🤧🤒

I climbed it when I was a kid. Perfect day but was windy AF up there. Went to the part where the chain ended and that was enough for me.

I hate heights and with my ear problems it’s 10x worse!

Also hate crossing bridges and going up elevators. Seeing our work elevator break down 3-4 times and at least one time with someone in it, I decided my fear of elevators is very rational!!!

Stayed on the 27th floor this year for a week and hated it, even worse we were on the express elevator to level 25 so it just shot up every time!

I hate heights, even climbing onto the stack of lucerne bales to throw some to the bottom gives me the willies sometimes.

There’s a particular bridge I have to drive over quite often in the breeding season for work (thoroughbreds) and I can’t stand it, I shiver and white knuckle the steering wheel every time!

I'm a bit iffy with heights.

Some flights of stairs I hang on to the support rail for dear life. Others I can manage.

I admire the views from balconies etc but I'm standing multiple steps (more than 5!!) away from the edge lol.

I can do indoor rock climbing, but I tend to poop my shorts a few steps into the start. Yet when I reach the top I go into James Cameron "King of the world" mode

Thought noone was allowed on there anymore.
I never been there, unsure.
We went a few years ago and it was just before the permanently closed it for cultural reasons. It was closed to climb due to wind for the week.

I spoke with a ranger about it and he explained why it was disrespectful. I ran around the base everyday at sunrise and was lucky enough to see the water streaming off it in the rain.

Massive involuntary pucker watching those idiots free climbing tower cranes, radio masts etc.

And then I saw some videos of guys installing aircons in high rise buildings... no harness, just a rope tied around the middle, carrying the compressor unit out of a window and stepping over a big gap to stand on someone elses compressor to fit it... argh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being ghosted.

Grow a ****ing spine and communicate like the adult you are. Your frontal lobe is fully developed, it’s 2024, BE BETTER.

****s sake.

Edited to add: this situation is particularly displeasing because we both outlined in the beginning that being open, honest and communicative is important to both of us.
A couple of years ago I had a "mate" ghost me twice. The first time he re-connected after about six weeks ago and I was happy enough to re-connect. The second time he sent me a SMS a couple of months later to re-connect. I replied, "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me." and blocked him.

I hate heights and with my ear problems it’s 10x worse!

Also hate crossing bridges and going up elevators. Seeing our work elevator break down 3-4 times and at least one time with someone in it, I decided my fear of elevators is very rational!!!

Stayed on the 27th floor this year for a week and hated it, even worse we were on the express elevator to level 25 so it just shot up every time!
I got stuck in a lift once, at work. There were only three floors, basement, ground and first, I was stuck between basement and ground. After about an hour they forced the door open and I was helped to climb out out of a gap.

My eldest is very scared of heights but asked me to take him indoor rock climbing yesterday to face his fear. He got about halfway up the wall and was chanting to himself "choose courage over fear". I thought it was very emotionally intelligent for a six year old!
This is amazing. What a legend. I was lucky enough to help a close friend in her 40s overcome her fear of water. Genuinely one of the most emotional experiences of my life. I’m not sure I’ve ever been prouder of another human being than I was of her that day

I lived in an aparment on the 20th floor when I lived in Taiwan in 2002. One day I was on the toilet and it started swaying side to side. I thought it must be coming loose or something. Then it hit me that it was an earthquake. There's not much more terrifying as being on the 20th floor during an earthquake. Complete feeling of helplessness. I just lay on the floor of the bathroom and waited for it to be over. A number of people were injured or died in that earthquake.

I lived in an aparment on the 20th floor when I lived in Taiwan in 2002. One day I was on the toilet and it started swaying side to side. I thought it must be coming loose or something. Then it hit me that it was an earthquake. There's not much more terrifying as being on the 20th floor during an earthquake. Complete feeling of helplessness. I just lay on the floor of the bathroom and waited for it to be over. A number of people were injured or died in that earthquake.

Well at least you were in the right place to be shitting bricks!

We went a few years ago and it was just before the permanently closed it for cultural reasons. It was closed to climb due to wind for the week.

I spoke with a ranger about it and he explained why it was disrespectful. I ran around the base everyday at sunrise and was lucky enough to see the water streaming off it in the rain.
So in normal circumstances you could go up if you wanna be disrespectful..for a selfish and a few pics 📸..?

I'm a bit iffy with heights.

Some flights of stairs I hang on to the support rail for dear life. Others I can manage.

I admire the views from balconies etc but I'm standing multiple steps (more than 5!!) away from the edge lol.

I can do indoor rock climbing, but I tend to poop my shorts a few steps into the start. Yet when I reach the top I go into James Cameron "King of the world" mode
Were do you sit at the G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back