Things that shit you about the NBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
1. Shooting sleeves. You don't need them. Don't put racing stripes or whatever on them Dwight, you don't even shoot. If they invent a left-hand-cannonball-off-the-top-of-the-backboard sleeve, you can wear that. I have seen centers who don't average 3ppg sporting the arm sleeves. The scorers might have a reason if they wore them o their shooting arm, but they don't.

2. The Lakers. Just in a very general sense.

3. Refereeing. Leaving biased cheating and rigging aside, I was watching the Houston-Jizz 97 game 7 on One the other week and the refereeing was fantastic. They were letting them play. Watching Barley and Malone play each other straight up was fantastic. You basically had to get molested to get a call. Now even championship games come down to whichever player is best at hurling themselves into defenders to get the cheap call.

4. NBA Cares...no they don't. Seeing Noah or JR Smith or Shawne Williams in a chef hat dishing out soup doesn't convince me these are good guys.

5. The lack of radical movement in team quality. The league isnt the EPL where the same 3 teams win everything, but its not the AFL where its routine for bottom teams to get to the top the next year. I'd like to see a hard cap where the figure is established and nobody can go above it. No MLEs, Bird rights, luxury tax, etc.

3. Refereeing. Leaving biased cheating and rigging aside, I was watching the Houston-Jizz 97 game 7 on One the other week and the refereeing was fantastic. They were letting them play. Watching Barley and Malone play each other straight up was fantastic. You basically had to get molested to get a call. Now even championship games come down to whichever player is best at hurling themselves into defenders to get the cheap call.

THat might have been one game but in the 90s the refs were still there calling soft calls. OneHD showed a Utah vs Chicago game that was just as soft as today.

- The death of back-to-the-basket players, mainly due to improved team defenses. There are currently 2.5 left in the league - Al Jefferson, Andrew Bynum and Craig Smith (who counts as 0.5). Every other low block player is basically a face-up forward with the ability to throw in a hook-shot occasionally.

- Commentary. I understand that they have to do it from the broadcasting city's perspective, but I don't see the need for over-the-top bias. This is why NBA fans are far more biased than AFL fans, for example. Shit commentators breed shit fans.

- The coaching carousel. **** off Saunders, **** off Jordan, **** off O'Brien, **** off any other twice-failed coach who gets hired a third time in lieu of a promising young coach who deserves an opportunity.

- Charging. They call it in a way that blatantly encourages flopping. Stop calling the idiotic charge-after-the-pass and start calling the push-offs against the ball handler (watch Kobe or Wade's off hand when they dribble).

- The fact that there's so much excellent basketball writing around, yet ESPN continues to employ knob-jockeys like Marc Stein, Chris Broussard and J.A.Adande.

1. My team sucks so incredibly that it makes me very sad
Agreed. Although you do get to look at Devin Sex.

THat might have been one game but in the 90s the refs were still there calling soft calls. OneHD showed a Utah vs Chicago game that was just as soft as today.
That's interesting. I really can't remember clearly back to the 90s, I just have this sense it was more physical and this physicality was allowed. Can anyone else remember?

- The death of back-to-the-basket players, mainly due to improved team defenses. There are currently 2.5 left in the league - Al Jefferson, Andrew Bynum and Craig Smith (who counts as 0.5). Every other low block player is basically a face-up forward with the ability to throw in a hook-shot occasionally.
good one. really dissapointed that Duncan has become an entirely faceup player.

And Dirk and Kobe may be the best post scorers in the league.

- Commentary. I understand that they have to do it from the broadcasting city's perspective, but I don't see the need for over-the-top bias. This is why NBA fans are far more biased than AFL fans, for example. Shit commentators breed shit fans.
Biased yes, but I prefer it to the generic national stuff (JVG excluded). Tirico/Breen/Harlon etc are sychophants who give me the impression they are just NBA star publicists. I love hearing the hurt in the voice of a comm. team that has their team beaten on the buzzer.

- Charging. They call it in a way that blatantly encourages flopping. Stop calling the idiotic charge-after-the-pass and start calling the push-offs against the ball handler (watch Kobe or Wade's off hand when they dribble).
Great call

That's interesting. I really can't remember clearly back to the 90s, I just have this sense it was more physical and this physicality was allowed. Can anyone else remember?

I think it was more when refs did let it go where Malone could slam into the defender and refs let it go, but there were still games where the touchy fouls were constantly called.

But yeah, I can't remember a lot of 90s ball either.

When a game is clearly decided and the refs need a 2 min meeting to ensure that the clock is accurate despite the result being unable to be affected.

Tim Duncan's pause before he releases his free throws. Stop hatching an egg big fella!

Teams like Charlotte, etc who are currently on a hot streak get no coverage.

Kenyon Martin's head.

Teams like Charlotte, etc who are currently on a hot streak get no coverage.

Kenyon Martin's head.

1. Kenyon Martin's lips tat!

2. Gotta agree with this point LTMFG. So many teams that go under the radar, shits me everytime I go to ESPN.com, Yahoo etc and its always headlines of Kobe this, LeBron that, Lakers this, Cavs,Celts that. So many underated teams/players...

3. The All Star Game. Players who dont deserve to be playing are, and players in form are overlooked because they're not flashy/popular etc. Glorified popularity contest. Give the players/coaches the say (or at least the majority) of who gets to play, making it mean more to be selected.

They'll be more....I'll keep thinking

1. Shooting sleeves. You don't need them. Don't put racing stripes or whatever on them Dwight, you don't even shoot. If they invent a left-hand-cannonball-off-the-top-of-the-backboard sleeve, you can wear that. I have seen centers who don't average 3ppg sporting the arm sleeves. The scorers might have a reason if they wore them o their shooting arm, but they don't.

1. They look cool.
2. Things called fingernails hurt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- 6'7 centers.
- Superstars allowed to travel on fast breaks.
- Coach interviews during timeouts.
- Every player and their shit tattoo's.
- 8 year old kids in courtside seats.
- Kenyon Martin
- Pre-game introductions that go overboard. E.g - Cavs
- Stan Van Gundy nearly having a coronary every time Orlando give up a bucket.
- Every second player wearing a head band.
- No Anthony Mason.

-

- The coaching carousel. **** off Saunders, **** off Jordan, **** off O'Brien, **** off any other twice-failed coach who gets hired a third time in lieu of a promising young coach who deserves an opportunity.
Coaches make no sense, Eddie Jordan is worse than having Marbury in charge yet he'll keep getting jobs because he has experience, GMs get the same treatment for some reason. I'm half expecting Isiah to get another gig.

Superstar calls shit me to tears, mostly because my team is a generation away from having one I guess but jsut seeing guys crash into the key and shouting/squeeling, grunting their way into a bailout makes me cry.

Crazy shit owners. It's not like the AFL where you can eventually vote out Gutnick our whoever, you are stuck with your batshit insane owner until he dies or gets bored of ****ing with your fandom. For as long as they live Herb Kohl, Donald Sterling and co will destroy your team regardless of lottery or free agent luck. You are ****ed and there is no way out.

Guarenteed contracts. Some pothead puts in some effort for 3 months and gets a 5 year contract only to revert to being a lazy cancerous shithead for the duration of his deal. See Boris Diaw, Josh Howard, Tim Thomas, Erick Dampier, Emeka Okafor, Captain Kirk, Jamaal Magloire etc.

Guarenteed contracts. Some pothead puts in some effort for 3 months and gets a 5 year contract only to revert to being a lazy cancerous shithead for the duration of his deal. See Boris Diaw, Josh Howard, Tim Thomas, Erick Dampier, Emeka Okafor, Captain Kirk, Jamaal Magloire etc.
Hmmm, I see a pattern emerging.

But yeah you're right.

Like I said, the NBA should employ a hard cap with a minimum close-ish to the cap like the AFL. This essentially negates the huge advantage that big market teams have.

Crazy shit owners. It's not like the AFL where you can eventually vote out Gutnick our whoever, you are stuck with your batshit insane owner until he dies or gets bored of ****ing with your fandom. For as long as they live Herb Kohl, Donald Sterling and co will destroy your team regardless of lottery or free agent luck. You are ****ed and there is no way out.

It is, after all, their money. I certainly think it is cheeky when they expect municipalities to build their stadia for them though.

It's the length, not the guarantee that is the issue I'd say.

Non-guaranteed deals also mean less protection for pro athletes who are injured while in their place of employment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Things that shit you about the NBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back