Analysis This is the worst start in our 116-year VFL/AFL history

Remove this Banner Ad

Really good!

But the only difference was that our rebuild pretty much already finished then. We had Rance, Cotchin, Dusty, Grimes, Edwards, Riewoldt, and Astbury already on the list.

This time though, I feel like our rebuild has barely started. I’ll be honest and say that I don’t think our recent draftees are the level of that group of youngsters we had.
We're probs 1 year behind 2009...we can't discount Hopper, Taranto, Bolton, Floss, Balta
I'm sure some of our young guys will come on too. People hated Edwards for years as well

you thought it was bad now... our next two games will have Richmond saying ...
Watch This GIF

But how can you run around like headless chooks at a professional level?
When WCE were starting the start of their horror run, they had a ton of injuries as well. Not quite as bad as us, but it was quite bad. Everyone said that they won't be as bad once they get players back.

Players came back and they didn't get any better. They have had 2-3 years of being terrible and no where near the level they need to be. It's taken a once in a lifetime superstar number 1 draft pick to raise them from the grave.

100 point losses happen. I understand that. But for 2 weeks in a row? And the 2nd loss was worse than the first? No. That's purely effort and not buying into wanting to work hard.

Work hard and the loss is 40 points. Not 119.
I think you're discounting how important executing a gameplan is at AFL level. Watch oppo just running rings around us it's not because we've given up, they know where to run, when to spread, who the outlets are. They know where players are going to be and where supports going to come from because they've trained and played with a group of people over a span of time. Our midfield. Just look at it. Prestia came back after a long injury lay off and dropped weight, he's not going to immediately impact. We're relying on Dow, a kid most had written off to carry our midfield.
Could we go harder at times? Yeah but I think there's a perceived lack of effort that comes from us getting cut up when it's more of a product of us having no connection, no leadership and relying on players that should be developing in the 2's to stand brownlow medallists.

The teams in survival mode, nows not the time to be questioning their effort imo.

the board are still patting themselves on the back and championing other things now, weve moved on from football
A surprisingly measured and insightful comment :p
And yes, a fish does always rot from the head.

I still feel it's a bit early to say we are having a disaster.
But if it does eventually prove to be, it will 100% be the responsibility of the board...as it always is...and should be.
Yet you'll find most boards/shareholders...the overwhelming majority...doing everything in their power to avoid that responsibility...water it down...but not the perks of course.

This board lost me, when their first response to being challenged (and at that time they deserved to be questioned), was to change the rules, and make it harder in future for anyone to challenge again...very BAD form...imo.
Very corporate...like most of the AFL these days.

Awful seasons like the 2004, 2007, 2009, and 2010 seasons had better starts. We even had a better start in the 80s and 90s when we were a rabble.
In 2007 Richmond was 0–9–1 after ten rounds and 1–12–1 after fourteen (where we are today). So this season is not Richmond’s worst start on record. In 2007 Richmond was 0–10–1 before its first win, and 1–16–1 before its second.

Despite the record 157-point loss to Geelong in Round 6, however, Richmond’s percentage after ten rounds in 2007 was 71.6 and after fourteen rounds 78.3, because their one win has been by eight goals against Melbourne, and they had not lost any game except the Geelong debacle by over forty points.

I think you're discounting how important executing a gameplan is at AFL level. Watch oppo just running rings around us it's not because we've given up, they know where to run, when to spread, who the outlets are. They know where players are going to be and where supports going to come from because they've trained and played with a group of people over a span of time. Our midfield. Just look at it. Prestia came back after a long injury lay off and dropped weight, he's not going to immediately impact. We're relying on Dow, a kid most had written off to carry our midfield.
Could we go harder at times? Yeah but I think there's a perceived lack of effort that comes from us getting cut up when it's more of a product of us having no connection, no leadership and relying on players that should be developing in the 2's to stand brownlow medallists.

The teams in survival mode, nows not the time to be questioning their effort imo.
THIS...

In 2007 Richmond was 0–9–1 after ten rounds and 1–12–1 after fourteen (where we are today). So this season is not Richmond’s worst start on record. In 2007 Richmond was 0–10–1 before its first win, and 1–16–1 before its second.

Despite the record 157-point loss to Geelong in Round 6, however, Richmond’s percentage after ten rounds in 2007 was 71.6 and after fourteen rounds 78.3, because their one win has been by eight goals against Melbourne, and they had not lost any game except the Geelong debacle by over forty points.
Oh wow, you’re right. I don’t know how I missed the W/L record in 2007. Thank you for the clarification.

If I researched correctly though, it still would be either second-lowest or bottom 5 in W/L record and lowest in percentage. It’s still sad to see that so quickly after one of our best eras ever.

But I definitely wouldn’t trade the Premierships for a better 2024 season though, that’s for sure

It’s official. We have now slipped below our 2007 season to record our worst win-loss record in VFL/AFL history after 19 games (or the last round if the season was shorter than 19 games). I’m not sure where our percentage ranks after 19 games, but I believe it’s one of the lowest on record too (if not the lowest).

We have to beat at least one of North Melbourne, St Kilda, Hawthorn, and Gold Coast over the next 4 weeks. Stuff pick 1 because we’re staring at the barrel of finishing 2-21. That’s unbelievably embarrassing even for a club that won the Premiership only 4 years ago.

I’ve personally only seen expansion side GWS with a loss record of 21 in a season (2013). North and West Coast finished on 20 losses in their worst years (albeit were playing a game less than us this season). Still, we must not stoop that low if we have any standards left

1960 we won two games and had two draws from a total of 18 games. So we’ve worsened that record as we’ve only had two wins from 19 games.

In 1897 when were in the VFA it was historically our worst season as a club where we had two wins and a draw from 20 games. If we lose to North then we will fall behind that record

Last edited:
Here's a sad and sobering stat:

If you were to gather all Richmond Round 10 win-loss + percentage records from our very first season in 1908 until now, our Round 10 record in 2024 would rank last. Yep, in 116 years, we just witnessed our worst start to the season ever by seeing us go 1-9 with a percentage of 59.6%.

Awful seasons like the 2004, 2007, 2009, and 2010 seasons had better starts. We even had a better start in the 80s and 90s when we were a rabble.

How does that make you feel? For me, it kinda makes me sad given that this came 3 years after one of our most dominant eras ever. I'll be honest and say that I was nowhere near prepared to see us slump to our worst start in history only 4 years after our Premiership. I obviously understand why given our injury list, but still. Does this stat mean much? Not really. It is only 10 rounds into a 24-round season, but it's still a bit sad.

Having said that, if someone asked me whether I would go through our worst season ever just to see Richmond win a Premiership, then I would have said yes in a heartbeat. We've won three of them. Yes, many people around my age and younger have only lived through 6 seasons in which Richmond won a final, but those 4 seasons from 2017-2020 were top-tier. I hope we're back there soon.

For now though, we gotta get through this trough. I hope Yze survives this period, but I know that the industry can be rough on new coaches that start like this. Surely he gets at least a couple of seasons that aren't injury-marred.

Starts are irrelevant, We are in the business of winning premierships.

We are in a far better position than we where in the 30 year plus drought and we have the ability to hit the draft hard to propel us forward

We are in a far better position than we where in the 30 year plus drought and we have the ability to hit the draft hard to propel us forward
We had one of the best draft hands for years just a couple years ago and we know how that went. Same people still in charge apart from one so not holding my breath.

As soon as Lynch went down we were screwed.

We are gaming the system, it's the only way to return to contention quickly while still having a core who know how to win.

I don't think anyone really cares about ladder position right now. We have been in "play the kids" mode all year.

We might win the flag in 3 years time on the back of this shit season.

We are gaming the system, it's the only way to return to contention quickly while still having a core who know how to win.

I don't think anyone really cares about ladder position right now. We have been in "play the kids" mode all year.

No way mate. We are double that in the development. 10,000 hours into the senior core plus a revamped high performance and coaching bubble around them. Probably closer to 7-8 years if we’re lucky

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had one of the best draft hands for years just a couple years ago and we know how that went. Same people still in charge apart from one so not holding my breath.
we had a ok draft hand but we have not had a great draft hand for years. This year is a better draft hand.

I think this is a good year.

We did not win a premiership but we have only done that in 2017, 2019, and 2020 since 1980 so after those years this has been a pretty good year I say. If your not first your last and we get to develop for the future to become first

Last edited:
Oh wow, you’re right. I don’t know how I missed the W/L record in 2007. Thank you for the clarification.

If I researched correctly though, it still would be either second-lowest or bottom 5 in W/L record and lowest in percentage. It’s still sad to see that so quickly after one of our best eras ever.

But I definitely wouldn’t trade the Premierships for a better 2024 season though, that’s for sure
To be fair he is an Aints supporter and they study that part of the ladder given their 27 spoons

I don’t care about ladder position either, but I do care if we finish the year with a record-breaking 116-year low. If we are 5-18 or even 4-19 and finish 18th, then I’d be fine. But I won’t be OK with a record of 2-21. It would show that our standards as a club hit a new low, and I’m not OK with that. A record of 2-21 is never necessary for future success. Finishing bottom 2 might be, but not this.

That’s why I want us to win at least 2/4 next games. Would put back standards in our club even if it’s a little bit.

It turns out it was actually not irrelevant because we’re still tracking for a record-breaking low after 19 games. Dunno if you guys love this season or not but I certainly don’t.

It turns out it was actually not irrelevant because we’re still tracking for a record-breaking low after 19 games. Dunno if you guys love this season or not but I certainly don’t.
I love this season, why would I not. I said I am proud of the Richmond team, created a thread. Why would I lie?

Recently I think the 'mid week tackle' said on the program I think before Richmond v Collingwood 'who is closer to a premiership'? Who do you think they thought is closer. Collingwood won the match but guess who I think is closer to a premiership? That is why I love this season, we are closer to a premiership and you cannot win every season, the system does not allow it

The other thing without trying to be sic is we are not that bad, we are low on the ladder but we are not that bad set-up wise meaning we are positioned perfectly to rise up rapidly when we do in future years. You have to do the hard yards prior to having real cracks at premierships, it is a fact, even Hawthorn had to do hard yards prior to 2008

It is a team game, Dusty superstar pushed us to the chocolates but a lot of pieces need to be in place to get ready for a proper tilt, West Coast have Harley Reid but they still have a lot of work to do

Last edited:
I love this season, why would I not. I said I am proud of the Richmond team, created a thread. Why would I lie.

Recently I think the 'mid week tackle' said on the program I think before Richmond v Collingwood 'who is closer to a premiership'? Who do you think they thought is closer. Collingwood won the match but guess who I think is closer to a premiership? That is why I love this season, we are closer to a premiership and you cannot win every season, the system does not allow it
OK. I don’t mind if you’re proud tbh. There is room for all kinds of views in the Richmond supporter base.

I was proud of some matches we played, but I’m seriously not proud of our team overall this year tbh. I think this season’s a joke.

I’m proud of our youth though. I think we got a good look at them.

OK. I don’t mind if you’re proud tbh. There is room for all kinds of views in the Richmond supporter base.

I was proud of some matches we played, but I’m seriously not proud of our team overall this year tbh. I think this season’s a joke.

I’m proud of our youth though. I think we got a good look at them.
season is not a joke, it is a building block to win premierships, but that does not mean we can have these type of seasons fifteen years in a row, nor should we

Whilst we all hate spoons etc, I think that if we can snag 2-3 gun mids in the next 2 years then it will be a 5-6 years turnaround.
Going off the last few games I think Brown, Green, Banks, Campbell and hopefully the injured Gibcus and Clarke can form a nucleus of a super quick team.
Add in a couple of wildcards, eg Fawcett and Blight? And snap! Back contending.

Whilst we all hate spoons etc, I think that if we can snag 2-3 gun mids in the next 2 years then it will be a 5-6 years turnaround.
Going off the last few games I think Brown, Green, Banks, Campbell and hopefully the injured Gibcus and Clarke can form a nucleus of a super quick team.
Add in a couple of wildcards, eg Fawcett and Blight? And snap! Back contending.
I think it can be quicker simply because we are running against the grain of most of the rest in terms of their cycles which puts us in good stead. So we might dip for a while but it may not be that long because the competition is fairly even without super teams like Geelong early this century

I don't even love footy anymore. It's shit and has been shit since the rolling maul about 20 years ago and it galls me that the only team that played exciting footy was us with "chaos ball" and the campaigners at the AFL brought in that stupid rule to stop it.

I used to get so worked up about things like that ****ing massive loss to the bulldogs in round 1 that time. Or that time Harmichael sank us after the siren, or finishing 9th all the time, or any other humiliation (and there have been a lot). Three flags in 4 years has made me circumspect and I just don't care. Mate i'm 51, i've seen my share of shame and if this season is a new low on one metric, I really DGAF.

If the AFL are going to corrupt the game to make it a shit spectacle, corrupt the draw to benefit Geelong and Collingwood, corrupt the draft to benefit the plastic clubs then I have absolutely no problem with treating this entire year as an extended preseason and rorting the draft with a team that due to injuries is way better than the spoon suggests.

I want to get back to winning flags and this is the way to do it without waiting another 37 years. No one is going to remember how many games we won in 2024. Barely anyone will remember who won the spoon.

Last edited:
Officially our worst season ever with two wins after 20 games. Sadly early in May it was obvious to me when I posted I’d never seen a RFC team in my 51 years as bad as this. Poorly prepared, undisciplined and low standards were the primary ingredients to this outcome with no pressure to succeed from the top and to even correct mistakes.

1960 we won two games and had two draws from a total of 18 games. So we’ve worsened that record as we’ve only had two wins from 19 games.

In 1897 when were in the VFA it was historically our worst season as a club where we had two wins and a draw from 20 games. If we lose to North then we will fall behind that record

Yes, and this goes back even further. We joined the VFA in 1885 and played under different rules with teams like Essendon, Fitzroy, and South Melbourne etc. until the breakaway league formed in 1897.

The following page compiled VFA/VFL scores throughout the years:

Back then, only goals counted and behinds did not. If we finish on 2 wins and no draws this year, then our senior team would’ve played their worst ever season in any league since their formation in 1885. The worst season we had pre-1897 was a 2-win season with 3 draws from what I’ve checked under the rules in place at the time.

But honestly, I don’t even like to include anything pre-1908 as we weren’t competing in the same league as we are today. Having our worst VFL/AFL season would be enough to fall to a new low for me

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis This is the worst start in our 116-year VFL/AFL history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back