Analysis This is the worst start in our 116-year VFL/AFL history

Remove this Banner Ad

Officially our worst season ever with two wins after 20 games. Sadly early in May it was obvious to me when I posted I’d never seen a RFC team in my 51 years as bad as this. Poorly prepared, undisciplined and low standards were the primary ingredients to this outcome with no pressure to succeed from the top and to even correct mistakes.
This is not a WOAT list though, nowhere near our worst, IMO.

Performing well below standard, so leadership has to be looked at.

It’s official, 2024 is now our worst season on record.

I think that also means we join GWS as the only teams in history to lose 21 games in a H&A season. Granted, the last two seasons had more games than the seasons before them, but it’s nevertheless a disaster record.

Hmm, it feels pretty crap tbh. Will cherish those three Premierships in recent years though. More than what some other clubs have seen in their entire existence.

It’s official, 2024 is now our worst season on record.

I think that also means we join GWS as the only teams in history to lose 21 games in a H&A season. Granted, the last two seasons had more games than the seasons before them, but it’s nevertheless a disaster record.

Hmm, it feels pretty crap tbh. Will cherish those three Premierships in recent years though. More than what some other clubs have seen in their entire existence.

I wouldn't feel too bad

we'd still be winning flags if it wasn't for steve, gil and the umps

If I had the choice of losing 3 flags and this season, I'm happily taking this season, it's over now into the next.
100%. If given the choice between 0-1 Premierships and 3 Premierships with the worst season ever coming shortly after, most AFL supporters would choose the 3 Premierships.

North had seasons like this for 5 straight years without a Premiership in sight

100%. If given the choice between 0-1 Premierships and 3 Premierships with the worst season ever coming shortly after, most AFL supporters would choose the 3 Premierships.

North had seasons like this for 5 straight years without a Premiership in sight

some clubs only ever won 0-1 flags

well its now the worst year in our 116 year history.

Lowest ladder points in our history.

First WINLESS season against Victorian Clubs.

Lowest wins in our history at the MCG.

Wooden Spoon, with all our best core age players appearing to be out the door, while the 2 slightly older blokes we overpaid 2 years of draft picks for emain at our club, depreciating faster than your Trump NFT's.

Yze is a schlep. Even the winning coach said he wont bother re-watching this chunk of a turd this match was. Take that in for a second, even the guy who won doesn't want to take credit for this match.

Without doubt the worst Richmond season I have witnessed & the club is a serious chance of having the first winless season of my lifetime in 2025 if Baker, Bolton, Rioli & Graham leave.

I said it was the worst Richmond side ever last week that I’ve seen in 51 years. We struggle do anything right now.
Yze started his career all wrong by not setting standards and being bum chums with the senior players. Now the seasons shot and the rot has set in he can’t pass his message to them to lift their standards and the results are worsening. He will hopefully just have to ride the season out and hope most of them retire or leave, but I think his bar is set low and he will continue patting guys on the back for mediocre performances.
A week before this post it was obvious how bad we were. I actually said on the 12th of May we wouldn’t win another game and we were gifted that one bc Adelaide had most of their stars injured and Rankine was suspended I think. It was a horrible viewing game and we can only improve next year as the bar starts from the ground atm.

A week before this post it was obvious how bad we were. I actually said on the 12th of May we wouldn’t win another game and we were gifted that one bc Adelaide had most of their stars injured and Rankine was suspended I think. It was a horrible viewing game and we can only improve next year as the bar starts from the ground atm.
1724590581024.png

Don't forget four players will be returning from ACL

well its now the worst year in our 116 year history.

Lowest ladder points in our history.

First WINLESS season against Victorian Clubs.

Lowest wins in our history at the MCG.

Wooden Spoon, with all our best core age players appearing to be out the door, while the 2 slightly older blokes we overpaid 2 years of draft picks for emain at our club, depreciating faster than your Trump NFT's.

Yze is a schlep. Even the winning coach said he wont bother re-watching this chunk of a turd this match was. Take that in for a second, even the guy who won doesn't want to take credit for this match.

Without doubt the worst Richmond season I have witnessed & the club is a serious chance of having the first winless season of my lifetime in 2025 if Baker, Bolton, Rioli & Graham leave.

Wonder when we last had a percentage as low as what we finished up with. 63.7 is a shocker of a percentage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2091806

Don't forget four players will be returning from ACL
Which means they will probably take a while to room in .
Le Fau will be a slight upgrade on Kosi but no star and still a risk with history of ACLs.
Clarke has acl history also and was playing vfl when injured. I like him, but he’s still yet to prove himself.
Young is average at best and won’t improve us
Gibcus is the key, but nearly missed two seasons now .
Lynch hamstrings and soft tissues with age are all against him and again sidelined for nearly two years . He’s a big loss.

We will only improve I think if our drafts and trades can fire by mid season with a few guys like KMac2 , Smith , Green and co stepping up.
I’d love Lynch Clarke and Gibcus to get at least a dozen games in as the minimum.

Good question as it’s something I thought during our 37 year drought was often abysmal, but how this season compares would be interesting.

Our percentage when we haven’t made the finals (post-1980):

1983-1994
82.5 (wooden spoon)
70.9 (wooden spoon)

1996-2000
117.4 (our two wins over Fitzroy - by a combined margin of 243 points - increased our percentage by 12.3%)

2002-2012
69.2 (wooden spoon)
77.2 (wooden spoon)

2023-2024
63.7 (wooden spoon)

Last edited:
I would say its the worst forward structure in the 52 years I have been barracking for the club. Yet I don't think its the worst team I have seen us put on the field. I think a lot of our senior players this year were not switched on like we have been used to in the past decade. Which is why I am happy to move on players that don't want to be here anymore & bring in some new blood with extra energy, that's what we have lacked the last couple of seasons.

1983-1994
82.5 (wooden spoon)
70.9 (wooden spoon)

1996-2000
117.4 (our two wins over Fitzroy - by a combined margin of 243 points - increased our percentage by 12.3%)

2002-2012
69.2 (wooden spoon)
77.2 (wooden spoon)

2023-2024
63.7 (wooden spoon)
Yep our lowest percentage in over 40 years. Thanks

I would say its the worst forward structure in the 52 years I have been barracking for the club. Yet I don't think its the worst team I have seen us put on the field. I think a lot of our senior players this year were not switched on like we have been used to in the past decade. Which is why I am happy to move on players that don't want to be here anymore & bring in some new blood with extra energy, that's what we have lacked the last couple of seasons.
Still the question remains why weren’t they switched on as they’re well paid professional footballers and had success before?
Was it the coach?
Was it knowing Gale was leaving
Was it Livo ?
Was it having to go through a rebuild again?
Was it Meehan as once Lynch went down everything went downhill fast?
Was it Photogate ?

Anything else ?

Still the question remains why weren’t they switched on as they’re well paid professional footballers and had success before?
Was it the coach?
Was it knowing Gale was leaving
Was it Livo ?
Was it having to go through a rebuild again?
Was it Meehan as once Lynch went down everything went downhill fast?
Was it Photogate ?

Anything else ?

I thought we underperformed (relative to the quality of our list) throughout the period from 2013 to 2016 and we’ve done the same thing from 2021 to 2024. So, the way I see it, we’ve kind of underperformed in eight of the last 12 years. I don’t think this says good things about our culture or approach.

I thought we underperformed (relative to the quality of our list) throughout the period from 2013 to 2016 and we’ve done the same thing from 2021 to 2024. So, the way I see it, we’ve kind of underperformed in eight of the last 12 years. I don’t think this says good things about our culture or approach.
Definitely I think those players we had could’ve won at least another flag, but we were inexperienced at being successful and it wasn’t until we boosted the FD after 16 that we got it. Ironically when Dimma ate up the soft cap and the FD was trimmed down to a NQR one we compounded again to pre 2016 levels.

Last edited:
Definitely I think those players we had could’ve won at least another flag, but we were inexperienced at being successful and it wasn’t until we boosted the FD after 16 that we got it. Ironically when Dimma ate up the soft cap and the FD was trimmed down to a NQR one we compounded again to pre 2016 levels.

I think that’s right, that you need a well-funded football department for success, and I don’t think we got it right. I also think that, even with our recent success, our record (flags, finals appearances) is average, at best, if you look at it over a 45-year period (1980-2024).

1983-1994
82.5 (wooden spoon)
70.9 (wooden spoon)

1996-2000

2002-2012
69.2 (wooden spoon)
77.2 (wooden spoon)

2023-2024
63.7 (wooden spoon)

Cheers mate. That is a comprehensive answer to my question. We were so shit during the late eighties and early nineties that is amazing to see our percentage for those years still well above this years confirming that this may have been the worse Richmond year I have seen.

Our Average scoreline is 103 to 65. That is an average of being beaten by almost 40 points each week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis This is the worst start in our 116-year VFL/AFL history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back