Thommo for Captain - VB give it away mate

Remove this Banner Ad

When i think leadership I think about the ability to inspire others to perform better than their average. Better than their perceived best.

To quote the great Colin Powell, "Leadership is the art of acheiving what the science of management says is impossible."

I'm slowly filing VB into the non-inspiring bucket with Craigy. (for me) i.e. not the type of leader I prefer.

VB inspired me more as a rookie player throwing himself on loose balls. He just doesn't seem to even have that impact anymore for me. Maybe I'm too used to him but he just doesn't inspire me often enough.

Bicks was twice the player VB is btw... and always found a way to inspire. Maybe the game was so different back then and there were more chances to inspire?

Not inspiring you may be the most vacuous criticism ive seen yet.

I think VB is feeling the pressures of being Captain a bit and is a tad unsure of himself on the field. I suppose this is natural as he is a young first year Captain in a side that is going very well, so i will give him time to get better.

At the moment, if a neutral observer watched an AFC game they wouldn't know that VB was captain, or even part of the leadership group if not previously told so. I don't think you could say that about any other captain.

A captain does not have to be the best player, but he needs to be an exceptional reader of play. He does need to lead by example by executing and making the right decision when under pressure and being relied on to not make mistakes.

This is a tough situation for VB but I think he will improve and I hope he develops into a great captain.

The one thing I want from VB at the moment is to show some real passion/aggression when we are down.

Everytime the club's in a crisis, I ask myself "What would Roo have done?"

More often than not VB comes up short.

Call this a vacuous criticism if you like. I like VB but he's far from an inspirational leader. Still, he's been selected and deserves a lot more than four games to prove himself.

You can't compare oranges with apples. Roo was made coach at age 25. He'd played 194 games - and played in two premiership teams. VB is a year younger and has played only 116 games. He hasn't had the luxury of playing through two premiership years.

Besides which they are nothing alike. So why expect the same out of VB. He is our Captain, and he will find his feet given time. Can't stand the criticism after only 4 frickin games!

You can't compare oranges with apples. Roo was made coach at age 25. He'd played 194 games - and played in two premiership teams. VB is a year younger and has played only 116 games. He hasn't had the luxury of playing through two premiership years.

Besides which they are nothing alike. So why expect the same out of VB. He is our Captain, and he will find his feet given time. Can't stand the criticism after only 4 frickin games!

Ricciuto was an All Australian at 18/19, a spritiual leader at 21, and the club's best player at 22. At 24, he was named the club's best player of the decade.

You're right about apples and oranges, but it has nothing to do with age or premierships. One is simply far superior to the other.

Ricciuto was an All Australian at 18/19, a spritiual leader at 21, and the club's best player at 22. At 24, he was named the club's best player of the decade.

You're right about apples and oranges, but it has nothing to do with age or premierships. One is simply far superior to the other.

Which is why you can't ****ing compare them! :rolleyes: Name me one other player that fits that description. VB is our current captain. He has been so for a grand total of 4 games. It is absolutely ridiculous to be expecting Roo like behaviour OR decisions. Give him time to develop FFS.

Ricciuto is possibly the greatest South Australian footballer of all time. If you're going to use him as the pass/fail measure then you're going to be very very disappointed.

Dont want to harp on this (because I rate Thompson) but he has on occasions been undisiplined on field, particulary when frustrated or overawed by occassion (showdowns usually), and has struggled when the pressure is on. Who can forget the wayward kick in the final agaist Hawthorn.

So was Mark Ricciuto...

Which is why you can't ****ing compare them! :rolleyes: Name me one other player that fits that description. VB is our current captain. He has been so for a grand total of 4 games. It is absolutely ridiculous to be expecting Roo like behaviour OR decisions. Give him time to develop FFS.

What I'm saying is that Ricciuto (much like Dangefield) displayed leadership qualities, and outstanding performance, almost from day 1. So don't use age as an excuse. VB just isn't is as good, and never will be.

And SouthernTakeover, I agree. It's difficult though, he has big shoes to fill. As did Goodwin.

VB is DIFFERENT. Accept it and move on. Clearly VB has demonstrated leadership to the people that matter. It may not be as overt and obvious to you as Roo was, but it's there none-the-less. Just give him some time. Dangerfield isn't ready yet. But he will be. Until then we need to give VB time to develop. Not ridicule him every waking moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comparing apples with oranges doesn't allow you to conclude that apples suck.

NEW EVIDENCE ARRIVES

e6eb698cecf8fe2142640d5647028c0f71ac7d6e.gif

In terms of on field leadership Im not seeing much from VB. Rutten and Thommo miles ahead.

What Im disappointed in is VBs lack of physicality on the field this year. I thought he would be more in and under. He is playing as an outside player really and given he is neither exceptional in terms of speed or kicking he is just ok as an outside player

There must be a lot more to captaincy than on field stuff these days because he neither inspires nor is in our best 10 players. There may be some improvement yet I guess.

If the players could have stepped in a time machine and have seen the 2011 season to the present when voting last year it would might have been a different outcome. Thompson is up there with the best this year. Absolute gun, career best form, hard as f*** - Captain material.

VB is not Ricciuto (but then, who is?), nor is he Ricciuto-Lite. He's not trying to be Ricciuto, that's just not who he is. His leadership style is not the same as Ricciuto's leadership style.

Comparing apples with oranges doesn't allow you to conclude that apples suck.

Comparisons to previous captains are inevitable I'm afraid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thommo for Captain - VB give it away mate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back