Thoughts on Saints going into finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it will be Elimination Final win, Semi Final loss.

Next year we pick up Fev on a behaviour clause'd contract, Cripps Sippos Walsh and Ledger become regular contributors, Lenny and Jimmy come back, and from there, who knows.

Will lose first week to the Swans. Played them two weeks ago, and should have had an 8-10 goal win if we had have kicked straight. People are overrating their performance tonight, Carlton were piss poor.

Its all about 2012 for St Kilda.

Weve tinkered with the game plan and changed the way we move the ball fwd.

Get hayes back, Gwilt back, introduce some new blood theres time.

Sorry but I can't see how the Saints will be better in 2012, if anything this is like a last gasp for air before you drown.

Will take Saints best to beat Sydney, thanks to Mumford/Goodes, Swans are (easily) winning the contested ball / midfield battle in recent weeks.

Ross has indicated he has a few things he gleaned from playing Swans couple of weeks back, I am sure he will arm the boys with the right gameplan and the rest is up to them.

Not even thinking past Saturday night at this point, they are an in form team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love to see a Geelong v St Kilda semi final, just to see how far St Kilda have come since mid way through the season.

Probably wont meet unless Saints win through to the GF

Amusing how all the negativity comes from Sydney fans.

we met a few weeks ago, you couldn't deal with Mumford. You couldn't deal with Goodes and you couldn't deal with Kennedy. you got out muscled in the arm wrestle that was the inside middle and we handled Riewoldt and shut down your small forwards. The only thing that stopped us from handing you a 12 goal goals shake up was we kicked poorly in front of goal.

what have you done in two weeks that suggests you change that.

we met a few weeks ago, you couldn't deal with Mumford. You couldn't deal with Goodes and you couldn't deal with Kennedy. you got out muscled in the arm wrestle that was the inside middle and we handled Riewoldt and shut down your small forwards. The only thing that stopped us from handing you a 12 goal goals shake up was we kicked poorly in front of goal.

what have you done in two weeks that suggests you change that.
Simple answer, our team won't have gastro before the game next week. As soon as they warmed up before the game in Syndey I knew we'd lose, was a miracle we were still in it going into the final quarter.

I know you're a decent side, but we should beat you next week.

Well all I'm saying is that so far, nobody who supports anyone besides Sydney has flat out said St Kilda will lose this Saturday. I'm right in what I said.

I love it how we are continually underrated! Even after we beat the Saints 2 weeks ago, then beat the Cats at Skilled.

St Kilda have either been the first or second best team for the past few years and couldn't win a grand final. What's going to change this year ?

They have enough stars but their bottom 5 or so players are complete spuds.

Simple answer, our team won't have gastro before the game next week. As soon as they warmed up before the game in Syndey I knew we'd lose, was a miracle we were still in it going into the final quarter.

I know you're a decent side, but we should beat you next week.

really. your starting to sound like the bulldogs.

your a decent team but that excuse is also just bollocks. It's not unfair to say we backed our win up. You guys are carrying on like your dead set certs and your not.

Im confident of winning this week.

really. your starting to sound like the bulldogs.

your a decent team but that excuse is also just bollocks. It's not unfair to say we backed our win up. You guys are carrying on like your dead set certs and your not.

Im confident of winning this week.
My confidence is based upon the following facts:

1. We finished higher than you this season
2. We've consistently won finals over the past 3 seasons
3. We're playing at our home ground
4. We haven't lost at said home ground on a Saturday night in over 8 years (24 games)

You're a chance, but I'll be putting my hard-earned money on us as I have done the past couple of weeks.

Would hate to be facing them, but luckily for us that will only happen if we (a) make the grand final or (b) defeat Collingwood next week (on order of likelihood ;))

Will they beat Sydney? Maybe - games between the two are always close as they play variations of each others style. For mine it comes down to whether or not Adam Goodes turns up to play - if Goodes has a night out, the Saints go down next week, if not then they're through. He's had two great weeks in a row, so he's probably due for a downer...so Saints might get through.

After that I don't see them getting passed either the Hawks or Cats.

The really interesting time for the Saints will be next season. Last year Adelaide crashed before recovering somewhat to finish off the year (obviously not as well as the Saints have recovered this year) - and this year hasn't been so hot for them. If Hayes can return at peak ability, and Riewoldt can return to form then they'll be okay - but if not, then they would appear to be at the beginning of their decline.

Saints fans if you can't handle negativity, don't post a thread on this. No Sydney supporter on here is trolling, they just have genuine belief. Everyone is biased towards their own team and being a swans supporter you obviously follow the team more then another and from that they've gauged that they can potentially beat you first week of finals, there's nothing wrong about that. We'll know in a weeks time. As for now, nothing is right or wrong, it just is.

It's not as if you guys have the wood over us, are in unstoppable form or are say Collingwood or Geelong and even then footy is never set in stone. As for your record at Etihad, Sydney haven't won at Skilled for 12 years, and hell, Hawthorn won at the SCG this year for the first time in ages. Records mean nothing when two teams lineup. So thus, I don't see it being unreasonable Sydney fans don't think you'll make it past week 1, just because half the other posters haven't seen us play to our full potential because we're "boring" or just not broadcasted FTA.

It'll be a cracking match, and I for one am not writing us of for a loss that easily and won't be surprised if the Swans get up. Similarly, it's not going to be a shock if we lose.

As for post-Sydney I've already stated what I thought will happen earlier.

Saints fans if you can't handle negativity, don't post a thread on this. No Sydney supporter on here is trolling, they just have genuine belief.
And no reason not to.

I expect Mumford to star in the ruck, and Goodes to have a big influence on the result. Form and home ground make the Saints the favorite, but a Swans win is by no means impossible.

The Saints are a surprisingly easy team to predict this season.

Their position on the ladder more or less indicates exactly where they are at:

middle of the road team that shapes up well against anyone but pbly lacks the class to really trouble the top3.

They played C'wood twice - embarrassed the 1st time, lost by 4 goals the 2nd after the pies took the foot off the gas

2 respectable losses to Geelong

Smashed by Hawthorn after a 5-6 goal start

They beat WCE comfortably at TD who (no disrespect intended) are a good side but a step below the other 3.

On their day, the Saints could pbly beat any of them if things went their way but a 24rd H&A season suggests that they're pbly not good enough to really match it with the big teams.

They pbly should beat Syd depending on what happens in the coaches box but it's hard to see them going much further than that... they maybe be able to steal a semi but most likely will be knocked out

Well all I'm saying is that so far, nobody who supports anyone besides Sydney has flat out said St Kilda will lose this Saturday. I'm right in what I said.
Nobody besides people who support St Kilda have flat out said Sydney will lose either. What's your point?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on Saints going into finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back