Thoughts on Saints going into finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

St. Kilda are not the 4th or even 5th best team heading into the finals. They are the 6th best team, just look at the ladder and you will see why. Will beat Sydney, but won't defeat Cats/Hawks in the semi finals (in fact Geelong/Hawthorn will beat the Saints comfortably IMO). Are very good when things fall their way and when they can apply and impose pressure and intensity the way they did tonight against Carlton, but I believe many are overrating the Saints a little.
Intersting. So we have no chance of (IF we beat sydney) beating ur mob or the hawks?

2008 my friend, 2008. Finals are something else

Intersting. So we have no chance of (IF we beat sydney) beating ur mob or the hawks?

2008 my friend, 2008. Finals are something else

Geelong and Hawthorn are both a class above the Saints and Sydney. If the Saints should face a switched on Cats/Hawks outfit in the semis, they will be thrashed IMO. Also, not exactly sure what you are trying to point out when you mention finals are something different (you are essentially claiming that history is irrelevant in finals, which leads into my next little bit here), yet you bring up a historical example of 2008.

If we play like we did for the last 2.5 quarters last week against North, we're a slight chance, but if we play like we did for much of last night, we'll be out very quickly.
Our use of the ball into the forward line needs to improve dramatically and if Roo's knee stays as bad as it apparently was last night, it's going to be very tough for us to go far.

Thats the problem, we rarely string together 4 quarters.

We 'held' collingwood but constantly turned it over, even last night our field kicking was embarrassing in the first half.

Sydney have found a rich vein of form atm, goodes is tearing it apart.

Whats positive for us is, its at ducklands on saturday night. The rest is about the same and they have to travel.

I am not taking anything for granted.

I believed we could knock off the swannies a couple of weeks ago but they kept us in the game only through shoddy goal shooting.

In our defence the rumour was 10 players had injections prior to the game for food poisoning, with 2 sitting out.

In favour of Sydney, they beat geelong (albeit again through poor goal shooting by geelong)

sydney are in the right orm at the right time.
they have very right to believe they are more likely.
and we can't use gastro as an excuse as it belittles their effort.

but we will win and win well - we are a class above when finals hit.
and would beat anyone sat night at etihad.
great to get a home final at home!

the following week is a toss of the coin atm.

Could cause some trouble in the semi if we make it, but I think the more likely outcome is a comfortable loss.

That said I reckon I'd be right in saying Hawthorn and Geelong (despite their recent loss) would rather face Sydney than us.

We 'held' collingwood but constantly turned it over, even last night our field kicking was embarrassing in the first half.

Whats positive for us is, its at ducklands on saturday night. The rest is about the same and they have to travel.

I believed we could knock off the swannies a couple of weeks ago but they kept us in the game only through shoddy goal shooting.

In our defence the rumour was 10 players had injections prior to the game for food poisoning, with 2 sitting out.

In favour of Sydney, they beat geelong (albeit again through poor goal shooting by geelong)

What kind of revisionist history is this? We beat Geelong all over the ground.

Playing your lot who rely soooo heavily on the umpires friend Adam Goodes will be a breeze and then we will get back to you.
Make your you stay up to watch and learn. ;)

With the addition of Rohan and Spangher to the forward line Swans don't have too many weaknesses at the moment.

A very complete team. Goodes is just the icing on the cake.

Thats what tends to happen when a side take their least amount of marks inside 50 for seven years.

Swans played a fantastic game. Weather Geelong were a little off is a facto for Geelong no doubt but the way we played was top notch football and if we play like that Saturday night.... We'll win.

St Kilda have the worst record of all the finalists in matches against the other 2011 finalists: 2 wins from 10 matches. (0-5 first half of the season - 2-3 second half of the season.)

Next worst: West Coast 3 wins from 8 matches against the other finalists.

Only Collingwood (9-2), Geelong (8-3) and Hawthorn (5-3) have won more matches than they have lost against the other 2011 finalists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda have the worst record of all the finalists in matches against the other 2011 finalists: 2 wins from 10 matches. (0-5 first half of the season - 2-3 second half of the season.)

Next worst: West Coast 3 wins from 8 matches against the other finalists.

Only Collingwood (9-2), Geelong (8-3) and Hawthorn (5-3) have won more matches than they have lost against the other 2011 finalists.

Everyone is trumpeting these stats, which are of course entirely valid, but they don't tell the whole story.

• Lost to Geelong by 1 point, unluckily
  • Comprehensively beaten by Essendon (52 points), who have had the wood over St Kilda for some time now
  • Lost to Carlton by 3 points, unluckily (again)
  • Lost to Hawthorn by 30 points
  • Lost to Collingwood by 57 points
  • Lost to Geelong by 28 points
  • Defeated West Coast by 21 points
  • Lost to Collingwood by 19 points
  • Lost to Sydney by 15 points (allegedly plagued by Gastro)
  • Defeated Carlton by 20 points
All results highlighted in bold took place during St Kilda's horrible run of form in the earlier part of the year. Hardly worthy of the doomsday messages being dished out regarding their finals campaign.

If we bring the intensity, we can beat Sydney.

How far we go from there, (if we get over the top of the Swans, which I'm by no means underestimating, they've had another good year and to beat then we'll have to play well) depends on how we use the ball going forward, and whether we're able to play 4 quarters of footy.

Our backline does its job week in week out, think the variables on us having an impact are further up the field.

St Kilda fans the biggest whingers on bigfooty. How the **** can you justify saying that the reason Sydney won was because St Kilda players had gastro? The two players you were missing were Koschitzke and Dawson who are both extremely average players and I doubt would make the Sydney starting 22. The other players who you 'claim' had gastro were all judged fit enough to play. Besides, nearly every week teams have minor injury concerns, so your excuses mean shit all. Sydney smashed you a couple of weeks ago get over it. The only thing that slightly changes this game is the fact it is being played at Etihad. But if we play the way we have been over the last few weeks we will win, and quite comfortably I must say.

Looks like someone obviously didn't watch the game. Sydney were clearly the better side on the day, and fully deserved the victory. I'm pretty sure even Geelong fans would admit that, so don't try and discount Sydney's victory in anyway because it won't work:rolleyes:

St Kilda fans the biggest whingers on bigfooty. How the **** can you justify saying that the reason Sydney won was because St Kilda players had gastro? The two players you were missing were Koschitzke and Dawson who are both extremely average players and I doubt would make the Sydney starting 22. The other players who you 'claim' had gastro were all judged fit enough to play. Besides, nearly every week teams have minor injury concerns, so your excuses mean shit all. Sydney smashed you a couple of weeks ago get over it. The only thing that slightly changes this game is the fact it is being played at Etihad. But if we play the way we have been over the last few weeks we will win, and quite comfortably I must say.

You talk much bullshit and missed the keyword allegedly. Kosi is far from average and has kicked two goals in each of the recent games he's played. Etihad is our fortress. If we play the way we've played in the last two games Saints will win comfortably. There, I reckon that's about as convincing as your aforesaid dummyspit! On second thoughts, I'd rather we played Swans at the G where your great record this year is a convincing loss to Richmond and a draw with the wooden spooners!

You talk much bullshit and missed the keyword allegedly. Kosi is far from average and has kicked two goals in each of the recent games he's played. Etihad is our fortress. If we play the way we've played in the last two games Saints will win comfortably. There, I reckon that's about as convincing as your aforesaid dummyspit!

It's hardly a dummy spit. Even if I used the word allegedly, it essentially makes no difference. Your fellow supporters come on this thread and say how confident they are of beating the Swans, and then when a Sydney poster rebuts them by saying how comfortably we beat you only two weeks ago, they get defensive. You try and discount Sydney's victory by saying that St Kilda players allegedly had gastro. If they were deemed fit enough to play, then I don't really think you can use that as an excuse.

Koschitzke having a couple of games where he kicks 2 goals is hardly special, he is meant to be a goalkicker lol :eek:

And I agree that Etihad Stadium swings the game a little in your favour as I said in my previous post. But if we play like we have done in the last 3 weeks, I don't really think your so-called 'fortress' will make too much of a difference.

Your last two games were hardly noteworthy. You beat an insipid North Melbourne team who couldn't get themselves up for their most important game of the season, and a Carlton side who hardly looked inspiring leading into the finals. At the same time, we have beaten St Kilda and a Geelong side who hadn't lost at home in four years and came out the next week to thrash the minor premiers by 96 points. I think our form is just a little better than the Saints. Admittedly, all this means zilch when the ball is actually bounced, but your St Kilda supporters shouldn't be so confident of beating us.

You talk much bullshit and missed the keyword allegedly. Kosi is far from average and has kicked two goals in each of the recent games he's played. Etihad is our fortress. If we play the way we've played in the last two games Saints will win comfortably. There, I reckon that's about as convincing as your aforesaid dummyspit! On second thoughts, I'd rather we played Swans at the G where your great record this year is a convincing loss to Richmond and a draw with the wooden spooners!

LOL you're a fool. Since when did Melbourne win the wooden spoon? Or do you mean to tell me that the GC side we beat by 70 points have now relocated to Melbourne.

The two players you were missing were Koschitzke and Dawson who are both extremely average players and I doubt would make the Sydney starting 22.

252562_1_O.jpg

Saints '11 = Hawks '10. I was confident of doing damage in the '10 finals race and we fell flat on our faces. I predict St Kilda will do the same. granted they did enough to get a home final which was more than we did but i think they will have spent too many tickets getting there. Had to make up too much ground too late.

Swans to progress.

saintsrule;22144133 Etihad is our fortress. [/quote said:
St Kilda undefeated at Docklands on a Saturday night since losing to Collingwood round 9, 2003 - 24 consecutive wins!

Meanwhile, 6 of the longest winning streaks at one venue have been broken
by the Swans over the years, lately down in Sleepy Hollow.
(Next most - Essendon 3.)

Which means more next Saturday night if either means anything?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on Saints going into finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back