Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not hindsight. We saw games like this year and all told you that with an extra pre season he was going to become a genuine gun of the competition with better stamina. You didnt listen.

You lost big time. Could of had him for 5 years on 600 thousand and for unders trade wise. You stuffed it up. Now instead of having the best midfield of the decade and clear top of the ladder you are going to be facing off against the team tim kelly plays for.
Yes there were glimpses but the price Geelong were asking was bordering on top 10 players in the comp, of which he wasn’t even close on last years form.. he’s close this year I agree but that’s not the point. Geelong intentionally set it that high knowing we wouldn’t take it, which there’s no problem with and why I made the comment about both teams making the right call for themselves.

Tom Mitchell “showed glimpses” and was traded for pick 14. Shiel and Treloar, who had both done a lot more up to that point in their careers than Kelly’s single year in the AFL, were traded for 2 first rounders (Essendon getting a second back for Shiel too), effectively what Geelong were asking for TK.

Duursma has had a great year, around where Kelly was picked and will be one year into his AFL career. Hypothetically if Port were willing to trade fairly what would you be giving up for him? Something slightly better than where he was drafted at.. No ones giving up a top 10 pick for him, that’s leaving out the fact Kelly was overlooked for the last 5 years so there’s obviously questions as to why that is. Hindsight is great because he’s smashing it this year.. but it could have just as easily gone the other way and been found out.

Look at the game he was tagged in earlier this season. He is stoppable if someone wanted to stop him which is why I’m happy we didn’t give up the asking price, as I’m sure Geelong are happy they get to keep him on base salary for another year. Both sides did what they needed to. We’re going to end up with 5 solid picks from not doing that deal so I’m excited to see what they bring. Can’t say I’m not disappointed we don’t have TK as I really liked him for a couple of years before he was drafted, but it is what it is.

What did the Cats want? Can't give what you don't have.
Didn’t they want 2 picks from memory? Would have to go and investigate it.

Eagles offered two picks in the 20s and their 2019 future 2nd round pick. At the death of trade period it was revealed Geelong were haggling for it to be the two picks in the 20s and a future 1st round rather than a 2nd.

So really if I'm reading it right it would have been 23 and 25 from the 2018 draft, + their 2nd round pick in the 2019 draft. That's disgustingly low for a player of Kelly's quality. Had they bumped the 2019 pick up to a 1st round pick, they'd have him locked in their side for just $600k for the rest of his career.

Eagles offered two picks in the 20s and their 2019 future 2nd round pick. At the death of trade period it was revealed Geelong were haggling for it to be the two picks in the 20s and a future 1st round rather than a 2nd.
Bargain based on this years form

We are talking about this year right? Not sure too many would take Sheed over Kelly. But each to their own..

Didn't say they would, but then there's not many claiming Sheed will win the Brownlow and is in the best 5 players in the comp. Sheed is judged on his whole career, not just a 6 week run at the end of 2018 and the first 8 weeks of 2019. He also hasn't requested a trade so there's no reason to talk him up (or down).

This year Sheed is #1 for disposals, #1 for goals by a mid, #2 for clearances, #3 for inside 50s, #2 in contested possessions at his club. If there was a Dom Sheed trade thread you can guarantee there would be people talking him up as our best mid, even though he isn't.

Dont forget Joel, Hawkins and Hary dont have many years left not to mention Ablett.

Its for that reason Geelong should go pedal to the metal to keep him... The first three on good coin and GA is just average money for what he was used to but certainly above draftee wage. I suspect that if it come to him wanting to stay we would encourage another player to move if we had to.. its just not acceptable to say.. we cant afford him if he is willing to stay.

Yes there were glimpses but the price Geelong were asking was bordering on top 10 players in the comp, of which he wasn’t even close on last years form.. he’s close this year I agree but that’s not the point. Geelong intentionally set it that high knowing we wouldn’t take it, which there’s no problem with and why I made the comment about both teams making the right call for themselves.

Tom Mitchell “showed glimpses” and was traded for pick 14. Shiel and Treloar, who had both done a lot more up to that point in their careers than Kelly’s single year in the AFL, were traded for 2 first rounders (Essendon getting a second back for Shiel too), effectively what Geelong were asking for TK.

Duursma has had a great year, around where Kelly was picked and will be one year into his AFL career. Hypothetically if Port were willing to trade fairly what would you be giving up for him? Something slightly better than where he was drafted at.. No ones giving up a top 10 pick for him, that’s leaving out the fact Kelly was overlooked for the last 5 years so there’s obviously questions as to why that is. Hindsight is great because he’s smashing it this year.. but it could have just as easily gone the other way and been found out.

Look at the game he was tagged in earlier this season. He is stoppable if someone wanted to stop him which is why I’m happy we didn’t give up the asking price, as I’m sure Geelong are happy they get to keep him on base salary for another year. Both sides did what they needed to. We’re going to end up with 5 solid picks from not doing that deal so I’m excited to see what they bring. Can’t say I’m not disappointed we don’t have TK as I really liked him for a couple of years before he was drafted, but it is what it is.
Top 10 players in the comp is worth two top 10 picks or a top 3 pick. Geelong was asking for one pick 10. Kelly is now going to be a top 10 player in the comp. its going to cost more than what geelong asked last year even though kelly is a year older.

Joel and Hawkins are on long term contracts done years ago so well and truly factored into our TPP. Harry and Ablett will go on 1 year deals or retire wont cost a heap.

He is right in that they are nearer the end than the start . If Harry stays I doubt he is on big money. If Kelly stays that would probably seen Henderson, Smith gone and maybe a couple of hard choices on a couple of players on 400 ish dollars.. How much is cockatoo on ? How much is Guthrie on ? there would be others as well.. Losing him due to cap space would not be acceptable..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well this is shaping up to be a very interesting scenario.
Trading an Uncontracted player who has become a superstar in his first 2 years of footy..

I can see Tim rejecting the Trade. Geelong will ask for a trade that will be that of a contracted player.
Just like his manager said Tim will walk. Why would he want to see the club he wanted to play all along ripped off.

Adding to Tim Kellys case is he doesnt qualify for Free Agency.
If he walks he can bypass both drafts then go and train with a club if they invite him.

I like this new mid season draft too where clubs will retire players to make room on their lists to draft.

So really if I'm reading it right it would have been 23 and 25 from the 2018 draft, + their 2nd round pick in the 2019 draft. That's disgustingly low for a player of Kelly's quality. Had they bumped the 2019 pick up to a 1st round pick, they'd have him locked in their side for just $600k for the rest of his career.

& the Eagles chose not to do that, open & shut case, the negotiations between the two parties failed.

He is right in that they are nearer the end than the start . If Harry stays I doubt he is on big money. If Kelly stays that would probably seen Henderson, Smith gone and maybe a couple of hard choices on a couple of players on 400 ish dollars.. How much is cockatoo on ? How much is Guthrie on ? there would be others as well.. Losing him due to cap space would not be acceptable..

How long was H's contract when it was signed post free agency when his manager shopped him about.

Geelong has been a master of player contracts IMHO, players stay for unders, team is the overarching sentiment.

Didn't say they would, but then there's not many claiming Sheed will win the Brownlow and is in the best 5 players in the comp. Sheed is judged on his whole career, not just a 6 week run at the end of 2018 and the first 8 weeks of 2019. He also hasn't requested a trade so there's no reason to talk him up (or down).

This year Sheed is #1 for disposals, #1 for goals by a mid, #2 for clearances, #3 for inside 50s, #2 in contested possessions at his club. If there was a Dom Sheed trade thread you can guarantee there would be people talking him up as our best mid, even though he isn't.

Nor they should. Because he isn't and he won't. Whereas Kelly is currently playing as a top 5 player and is currently a legitimate chance for the Brownlow. That't not just me saying it but just about every footy commentator!!

The point is that the Cats can back end his contract significantly in a couple of years when J Selwood, Hawkins, Ablett and Taylor are all retired. 2021 >.

Cats have some aging stars still on pretty decent coin.

Will be interesting to see the Geelong best 22 in a couple of years.

Its hard to really gauge where any club will be ..as there is so much more to than just individual talent. Geelong could easily fall out of contention for a while or quickly find a couple of replacements. After the finals last year Geelong were heading for middle of the ladder according to many. It may be something that kelly may take into account that the next couple of years look good at geelong and then after that is less known..

Or maybe WCE should have traded with another club to get a top 10 pick?

& maybe couldnt get a deal done, i.e didnt choose to flick a premiership player (s), not difficult to understand why for me, you? Loyalty is as valued by the Eagles as any other club including the Cats.

Its hard to really gauge where any club will be ..as there is so much more to than just individual talent. Geelong could easily fall out of contention for a while or quickly find a couple of replacements. After the finals last year Geelong were heading for middle of the ladder according to many. It may be something that kelly may take into account that the next couple of years look good at geelong and then after that is less known..

Wouldn't that just say that footy moves fast? He's 25 this year and might play until 32/33. That's enough time for a team to win a spoon and a flag. If he wants to return to Perth I doubt he will be put off by the current prospects of WC or Freo. If he wants to stay he'll stay, moving to a club in Melbourne isn't on the radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back