Toast Tim O'Brien re-signs until 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, that's awesome. I remember him talking up how happy he was to be recruited by the Hawks, but in the back of my mind I thought at the time that's a typical response from a recruit who has just been drafted and may get homesick real quick, especially with his hometown club of Adelaide interested in him.

So well done, Tim. I wish you all the success in the world with the Brown and Gold. Also, loving this bit from the article:

O'Brien, 19, has been a shining light in the VFL with Box Hill and could make his AFL debut later this year. "At the moment I'm just really enjoying refining my game," said O'Brien, whose Hawks play the Crows at AAMI Stadium tomorrow.

Don't you just love the emotive headline" "lost to Crows"

FFS he's a Hawthorn player. The assumption that he's a Crow's player in waiting is a bit much.

Great that he's re-signed. Let's hope he has a long and fruitful career at Hawthorn now.

It's great that Timmy has enjoyed his time at the club enough already to extend for a further 2 years, but I can't help but feel a bit uneasy about this in regards to Franklin staying.
But excellent list management in the event that franklin goes keeping o'Brien out of reach. Well done Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Forced to give up the pick 24 hours before ..."

Didn't they voluntarily give it up in the hope they would escape too big a penalty?

'Cheats never prosper' we used to say in primary school.

From box hill match reports
Hawthorn listed players Tim O’Brien and Jonathon Ceglar kicked three and two respectively,
40. Tim O’Brien
Stats: 4 kicks, 4 handballs, 2 marks
40. Tim O’Brien - 3 kicks, 4 handballs, 2 marks
Didn’t get much of the ball but generally used it well when he got it.
40. Tim O’Brien
Stats: 1 kick, 3 handballs, 1 goal

Quiet for the majority of the day but his goal was the result of a nice mark and composed finish from 50.

Great news. I shared a similar feeling initially about this not boding well for the retainment of Buddy. Though after a short think it's not unusual. Good KPFs are gold and ACL injuries seem to be a dime a dozen of late. If we hadn't drafted O'Brien and Brand and then we lost someone like Buddy or Roughead to a season ending injury then we'd be F'd in the A.

Then at the other end of the ground we've already lost Schoey to an ACL. Thankfully we managed to pick up Lake and Spangher in the off season as well. If we lost Lake or Gibbo down back to a long term injury now (and the coaching staff didn't feel Spangher was in good enough form to hold a KPD role) then we may have to make a move like Roughy down back and bring in O'Brien up forward.

If we manage to keep Buddy and don't suffer any more serious LTIs over the next few years and essentially "don't need" guys like O'Brien and Brand, yet they're ready to play then we'd have a very valuable commodity to trade for very early picks or talented young midfield players.

O'Brien and Brand are insurance and investments for the future. Smart drafting.

Clubs like Carlton, Dogs etc have been crying out for key forwards for a long time. Hanging on to our promising ones is great work from the club.

It has long been a Hawks strategy. It is not by accident that we have had so many great forwards. We usually take the best KPPs available and pick up midfielders when we can as they are in a much deeper pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Tim O'Brien re-signs until 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back