Time for Shane Harvey this week?

Remove this Banner Ad

NthMelbourneFC

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2004
Langy
Other Teams
North Melbourne
I think this weeks game, vs WCE... is the perfect opportunity for him to show his real potential in the AFL scene...

I saw him on Sunday for Port Melbourne, and i was impressed with what I saw from him....

And with the game being in Canberra, he will more than likely, be out of the spotlight and he can have a free reign to show his class...

Your thoughts?

NthMFC

re-S.Harvey

Geez NM FC-i saw him 2 weeks ago and
sure he looks good with the ball in his hands
BUT his defensive side does not exist-
{surely it is a bad example to the rest of the list}

Not convinced he and Harding can be in the one
side and Harding finally hit his staps against THE CATS!
Anyway i believe we are wasting Sansbury
as a backman anyway surely he should be in the
forward half for he did kick 6 against Cooney
in a GF-last year!

thoughts!!

over + out
Digby

Assuming Sinclair and Jones are first cabs off the rank NthMFC, and that two will have to come out for them, I don't see an obvious third player to demote for S.Harvey. Some have been keen to see Junior Motlop drop back to find some form, but I don't subscribe to that at all.

I agree that Harvs Junior was pretty good on Sunday morning, but WHAT THE HELL has he done to his bloody hair?????????? (seeing it clarified to me why many people here's opinions of him are perpetuated....................it reeks of "I'm an individual", which is how he often has played). It annoyed me so much, his multi coloured leopard style, that it completely distracted my attention away from his good play.

He'll get a chance at some stage, as I'm sure JYD would love him in the 1's, but will his chance come due to the unavailability of a regular due to injury/ suspension, or would JYD stick his neck out and drop someone for him? I'm not sure which, but ATM I think he's a little way down the pecking order.

T'toes

A cheat is someone who runs forward of the ball, won;t chase, tackle etc. You can carry one or two if you have a dominant in form side, but if you don't hey are a waste of space.

Originally posted by Pres
On this basis how are you seeing Junior's contribution recently?

On that basis, how are you seeing Well's contribution recently?

There's simply not enough spots in the eniors to give all the kids a go at the moment.

Some are going to have to wait for Kingy, Stevo and Arch etc to give it away.

I don't like Harvey's chances of getting game just to give him a run.

these cheats are what you need in a forward line a player who can find space "cheats" gives you easy goals im sick of hearing how people rate our forwards on there defencive skills what we need in the forward line are players who willwork to find space you can call it sheating if you like. the reasons we just bomb it in to no one is becouse we dont have enough cheats wo can finds some space in the forward line.

try you can't have too many of these players but the trouble is we are playing them in the midfield or the backline were you should man up instead of the forwad line

Originally posted by stevo10
A cheat is someone who runs forward of the ball, won;t chase, tackle etc. You can carry one or two if you have a dominant in form side, but if you don't hey are a waste of space.
And thats being nice to Harvey. ;) :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Accountability ?? Pffft !

Originally posted by digby
Not convinced he and Harding can be in the one
side and Harding finally hit his staps against THE CATS!
Anyway i believe we are wasting Sansbury
as a backman anyway surely he should be in the
forward half for he did kick 6 against Cooney
in a GF-last year!

thoughts!!

over + out
Digby

I agree entirely. For Zoomer to get a gig, he'd have to show accountability first...then on the otherhand...there are a couple already in our team who seem to be automatic selections with NO ACCOUNTABILITY whatsoever. Go figure.

Thursday Night Lotto is only hours away.

In answer to what you have said envelopes I would like to point out a few things.
1. Finding space
Space is created by hard running, not by failing to chase your man. For example if Luke Power chases his opponentout of Brisbanes forward line to the wing, puts pressure on and the ball is coughed up, he will turn and run back flat out, while all the other forward line players (except Lynch who will stay on the goal line) lead up the ground to towards the ball carrier. Some will lead very wide knowing they will NOT get the ball. But they keep running to open up the space. Then they turn and bolt back to get fron and square to Lynch and Brown. They do not half lead, ala some of our forwards, and block the space for others to lead into. There are many other examples of how creating space is generated through hard running.
2. Bombing it long
On another post it was said about the players in our team not kicking the ball to our talls advantage. I agree totally. We often bomb long under pressure, or after we've frigged around with the ball for so long that opposition teams have had time to get numbers back. If forward line players are not cheating they will lead and lead and create space so that when the ball comes in long they have the space and can run and get front and square to the contest. These players must also support the ball carrier so as they have time to make good decisions and if they do kick it long it is to the forwards advantage.
3. Easy goals
The easy goals you are talking about when you are in a country or junior comp. and one side outclasses the other so much that their backline or midfield just win the ball, say one player vs two or three at every contest and then just get it back in the zone. Easy goals that you see from great afl sides look easy with someone alone by themselves, but 99 times out of 100 its because of hard running. Have a look at the Lions next goal where someone recieves the ball by hand over the top in the goal square. More likely than not that player probably ran from half back or centre from the second last contest.

In answer to what you have said envelopes I would like to point out a few things.
1. Finding space
Space is created by hard running, not by failing to chase your man. For example if Luke Power chases his opponentout of Brisbanes forward line to the wing, puts pressure on and the ball is coughed up, he will turn and run back flat out, while all the other forward line players (except Lynch who will stay on the goal line) lead up the ground to towards the ball carrier. Some will lead very wide knowing they will NOT get the ball. But they keep running to open up the space. Then they turn and bolt back to get fron and square to Lynch and Brown. They do not half lead, ala some of our forwards, and block the space for others to lead into. There are many other examples of how creating space is generated through hard running.
2. Bombing it long
On another post it was said about the players in our team not kicking the ball to our talls advantage. I agree totally. We often bomb long under pressure, or after we've frigged around with the ball for so long that opposition teams have had time to get numbers back. If forward line players are not cheating they will lead and lead and create space so that when the ball comes in long they have the space and can run and get front and square to the contest. These players must also support the ball carrier so as they have time to make good decisions and if they do kick it long it is to the forwards advantage.
3. Easy goals
The easy goals you are talking about when you are in a country or junior comp. and one side outclasses the other so much that their backline or midfield just win the ball, say one player vs two or three at every contest and then just get it back in the zone. Easy goals that you see from great afl sides look easy with someone alone by themselves, but 99 times out of 100 its because of hard running. Have a look at the Lions next goal where someone recieves the ball by hand over the top in the goal square. More likely than not that player probably ran from half back or centre from the second last contest.

Send this excellent 'basic fundementals of footy' description to JYD to read to the team every week. Surely some of this will sink into some players heads.

Woodson, does this mean that when bible says we followed the game plan and we win they do these things, and when we don't win they aren't doing them?

Woodson, does this mean that when bible says we followed the game plan and we win they do these things, and when we don't win they aren't doing them?

more or less. The opponents lack of interest in stages plays a big part as our BIG wins have proved. Hopefully WC will snooze abit this weekend. ;)

Interestingly, during the richmond game we set up with Rocca on the goal line and 4 other forwards lined up the middle.(pretty standard set up if you are a follower of footy tactics) Not seeing a lot of games live, does this happen often, as this allowed Rocca to be one out and able to lead into space most of the night. As stated before the others lead hard and got out of the big mans way. Didn't see enough front and square to him as I would have liked, but he didn't drop many!

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for Shane Harvey this week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back