Time to get something clear...

Remove this Banner Ad

Like talking to like then...wheres your problem? I think it might be the fact that it's more like a simpleton trying trying to turn everything into nice black/white shades so he can understand (apparently failing though) it. :D

Maybe you can construct a sentance properly before critisizing others:rolleyes:

Mickdog - you are a jonny come lately supporter and have every right to support the Swans however you see fit - unfortunately you fail to see the reasons why so many are arguing with you -

This game is an emotional one on so many levels and what you fail to grasp is that there are people who have been supporting teams here in Melbourne for 60 , 70 or even 80 years and still go to games and who took their children who now take theirs. This is where the tradition of most Victorian clubs is built from. You cannot simply take this away without a second thought. You will find of the thousands who supported both Sth Melb and Fitzroy a small percentage now follow the Lions and Swans as most having had their club taken from them have given up following the game. By the way both these clubs were bankrupt at the time and the then VFL did not have the funds to bail them out which is a far cry from the position of all 16 current teams.

With the governing body having sufficient funds available there is no reason why all Melbourne teams cannot survive. In fact if you do your research and as has been pointed out previously the AFL want all teams to survive and preferably in their current form. Demetriou even said as much following the recent meeting with the Kangaroos board.

What you need to do is go and delve into the history of Sth Melb and see what they stood for as they have as much to do with how the tradition at Sydney is today. I think you will be surprised what you will find and maybe feel about your argument if you do this.

As a final point - let me provide an example of how emotional this game is - I have a 5 year old Daughter who has just started coming to Kangaroos games with me - she does not know the history yet but when shes old enough I'm going to tell her how I went to the MCG in 1975 with my dad and saw our team win its first ever flag. It still sends a shiver down the spine. I hope one day she will experience the same thing. I could list hundreds of other incidents from games I have been to over the last 35 years - and that is what the game is about.

One day there MAY be teams on the GC or West of Sydney - but you will not see any Victorian team supporters just give up so it can happen.

If any team that relocates or merges can provide the same emotional attachment I have yet to see it - and yes it requires money as well but as I said there is sufficient money in the competition that no club needs to fall over.

Stop sipping chardonnay or what ever else you are on - for a newbie you have cheek - but unfortunately you lack any substance.

I think the best solution to all this is for the AFL to give all teams 10 years to become financially stable in their own right at which point they should then scrap the CBF for good.

If we moved to the Gold Coast then i couldnt see them either. Is someone a little touchy because we gave you a touch up last saturday.

i didn't start the thread about you blokes moving anywhere, although you've gotta suspect there's serious plans in place to move them to the gold coast.....i only joined in coz, as a swans fan who's from nsw, i am absolutely sick and tired of being labelled a five-minute fan who knows nothing about footy, AND of hearing fans of the vic teams whine and sook about interstate dominance and how they wanna go back to a vfl....i grew up in a rugby league household but have barely followed the code for almost 20 years, and i am absolutely certain there's a whole lot of "five-minute" league fans here in melbourne, either storm fans or not, who know a helluva lot more about league than i ever did...
as for last saturday night, i'll say again, grow up....it was one game, in fact it was one quarter, you guys deserved to win, but it was round six, let's see where the roos and swans are, respectively, after round 22...

Mickdog - you are a jonny come lately supporter and have every right to support the Swans however you see fit - unfortunately you fail to see the reasons why so many are arguing with you -

This game is an emotional one on so many levels and what you fail to grasp is that there are people who have been supporting teams here in Melbourne for 60 , 70 or even 80 years and still go to games and who took their children who now take theirs. This is where the tradition of most Victorian clubs is built from. You cannot simply take this away without a second thought. You will find of the thousands who supported both Sth Melb and Fitzroy a small percentage now follow the Lions and Swans as most having had their club taken from them have given up following the game. By the way both these clubs were bankrupt at the time and the then VFL did not have the funds to bail them out which is a far cry from the position of all 16 current teams.

With the governing body having sufficient funds available there is no reason why all Melbourne teams cannot survive. In fact if you do your research and as has been pointed out previously the AFL want all teams to survive and preferably in their current form. Demetriou even said as much following the recent meeting with the Kangaroos board.

What you need to do is go and delve into the history of Sth Melb and see what they stood for as they have as much to do with how the tradition at Sydney is today. I think you will be surprised what you will find and maybe feel about your argument if you do this.

As a final point - let me provide an example of how emotional this game is - I have a 5 year old Daughter who has just started coming to Kangaroos games with me - she does not know the history yet but when shes old enough I'm going to tell her how I went to the MCG in 1975 with my dad and saw our team win its first ever flag. It still sends a shiver down the spine. I hope one day she will experience the same thing. I could list hundreds of other incidents from games I have been to over the last 35 years - and that is what the game is about.

One day there MAY be teams on the GC or West of Sydney - but you will not see any Victorian team supporters just give up so it can happen.

If any team that relocates or merges can provide the same emotional attachment I have yet to see it - and yes it requires money as well but as I said there is sufficient money in the competition that no club needs to fall over.

Stop sipping chardonnay or what ever else you are on - for a newbie you have cheek - but unfortunately you lack any substance.

i was all set to acknowledge every point you made until you HAD to slip in that last crud about the chardonnay....i'm sure like so many other swans fans, the shivers went up my spine after Leo Barry You Star took his mark and held on to our first flag in 72 years, and then we spent last season enduring the f**king garbage, mostly from vic fans and vic media, telling us it was a fluke, we were lucky, we didn't deserve it and there should be an asterisk in the recods books next to the 2005 premiers....you don't need 35 years of history, or even 100 years, to feel passionate about your club, you don't need to have lived within a fair drop punt of your old-time vfl ground to feel shivers up your spine when one of the lads in your club's colours does something special, or you're there to witness a momentous victory, etc etc....you victorian don't own the spirit of the game, or the spirit of the supporters of the game

It simply is the words. The Sydney Swans are called the Sydney Swans not South Melbourne anymore. Just like the Knagaroos will be the Gold Coast Kagaroos. The Western Bulldogs will be the Western Sydney Bulldogs. Call them by there name. Simple as that:rolleyes:

How many threads have you started on this topic, you can't give up can you. How many times do i have to say it WE ARE STAYING IN THE WESTERN SUBURBS OF MELBOURNE. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Very well said. But you lack the understanding that the game is changing just as the world is. Money from TV runs the game. The TV will have enough viewers from Melbourne forever. But for them to get new viewers they have to expeand to different areas. Gold Coast and West Sydney are the largerst with the most money of any of those areas.

Basically TV will lose little money by moving teams to the Gold Coast and West Sydney. But they will gain a lot. The AFL will make money by doing this. Why would they continue to fund a club with no value (money wise) where it currently is? Move it is the easy answer.

Now you can think what you want, i'm sure as most others are that 2 Vic teams maybe more won't last in Melbourne. I understand how much it means to you. But the AFL looks at figures not a couple of loyal fans.

Good luck mate, you will need it to keep your team in Melbourne. Would you consider moving to the Gold Coast if they moved there?

i was all set to acknowledge every point you made until you HAD to slip in that last crud about the chardonnay....i'm sure like so many other swans fans, the shivers went up my spine after Leo Barry You Star took his mark and held on to our first flag in 72 years, and then we spent last season enduring the f**king garbage, mostly from vic fans and vic media, telling us it was a fluke, we were lucky, we didn't deserve it and there should be an asterisk in the recods books next to the 2005 premiers....you don't need 35 years of history, or even 100 years, to feel passionate about your club, you don't need to have lived within a fair drop punt of your old-time vfl ground to feel shivers up your spine when one of the lads in your club's colours does something special, or you're there to witness a momentous victory, etc etc....you victorian don't own the spirit of the game, or the spirit of the supporters of the game

You don't get the point do you.:thumbsdown:

Very well said. But you lack the understanding that the game is changing just as the world is. Money from TV runs the game. The TV will have enough viewers from Melbourne forever. But for them to get new viewers they have to expeand to different areas. Gold Coast and West Sydney are the largerst with the most money of any of those areas.

Basically TV will lose little money by moving teams to the Gold Coast and West Sydney. But they will gain a lot. The AFL will make money by doing this. Why would they continue to fund a club with no value (money wise) where it currently is? Move it is the easy answer.

Now you can think what you want, i'm sure as most others are that 2 Vic teams maybe more won't last in Melbourne. I understand how much it means to you. But the AFL looks at figures not a couple of loyal fans.

Good luck mate, you will need it to keep your team in Melbourne. Would you consider moving to the Gold Coast if they moved there?

But do the supporters of Kangaroos want the AFL to make money so they can buy them out? Do the kangaroos want to move so the AFL can pull in more money. Do you think any AFL club gives a s*** about how much money the AFL pulls in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make a good point. New fans of the game can be just as loyal as the older ones. Maybe even better seeing as they chose to go to the game and wren't forced by there parents.

Thats what the AFL needs. More fans like us:p

But do the supporters of Kangaroos want the AFL to make money so they can buy them out? Do the kangaroos want to move so the AFL can pull in more money. Do you think any AFL club gives a s*** about how much money the AFL pulls in?

No they are typical selfish fans of a small nothing club that would prefer to see there club in the dark ages of the VFL then see the AFL prosper in this new age of Australian Footy:rolleyes:

No they are typical selfish fans of a small nothing club that would prefer to see there club in the dark ages of the VFL then see the AFL prosper in this new age of Australian Footy:rolleyes:

But the kangaroos supporters dont live in the dark ages of the VFL. not so long ago they were the best lot going around. Posts like these make me think the VFL shouldve stayed as the VFL

SAo you decided to support the team and it wasn't something your family pushed you into? It seems like thats the story for everyone else here

Good on him. Rather get pushed into supporting a club than trying to start out at a new one. Starting a new club is pretty hard to do for the AFL. Imagine a rich bitch trying to start a premier league club. Wouldn't work would it.

I think the best solution to all this is for the AFL to give all teams 10 years to become financially stable in their own right at which point they should then scrap the CBF for good.

For that to happen, a lot of things would have to change:

1. Rigged Draw, must change and be more equitable - Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Richmond won't play each other twice, same as the WA and SA teams. Draw may have to be " Luck of the draw" from a barrel or some other method that is not rigged by the AFL
2. No more staged blockbusters, no more ANZAC day for Collingwood, Essendon, Queens birthday, WA Derby etc
3. Equal TV exposure, especially Friday nights
4. Interstate travel for VIC teams like Collingwoods, Carltons etc ie all teams have the same travel
4. Staduim rights to be the same for the clubs sharing the ground, not the bullshit that happens now.

What you don't understand is the current system, although generates alot of money and is spread amongst every one, its also at the same time contributing to killing off the smaller clubs. All the exposure from Friday night TV, Blockbusters, etc etc, contribute to the Collingwoods and Essendons coffers and expand their brand which leads to more membership and makes them even more powerful.

I think 10 clubs can survive in Victoria. Like Eddie said the other week, when all the interstate clubs joined they got massive advantages in order to get them off the ground and make them competitive. These advantages take a long time to even out. So we should see an even, competitive competition in the near future.

Like to tell me what advantages PAFC got?

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to get something clear...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back