Time to scrap all Vic clubs and create 3-4 mega Vic franchises

Remove this Banner Ad

And even if I’m wrong about QLD and NSW, it doesn’t mean Canberra or the NT shouldn’t eventually get a team. I think you’ll find both those territories do care about footy.

And if we’re going to hopefully have teams there, a 22nd would do nicely to make it 22 teams 22 rounds for a much more balanced fixture. Expansion still has more legs.

Hey ChatGPT,
Post the most batsh!t-crazy piece of lunatic garbage you can think of, to the BigFooty AFL forum.

I think the time is right for the AFL to scrap all 10 existing Vic clubs and create 3-4 mega franchised Vic clubs. The existing Vic clubs are a massive drain on the system - several only survive by selling home games (Haw, NM, Rich and Melb). Cricket benefited enormously from abolishing the state T20 teams and franchising, and I think the AFL could benefit in the same way.

I think the following works:
  • a Central/North Melbourne team.
  • a South/East Melbourne team.
  • a West Melbourne team

Maybe split Central and North to make four Vic teams?

Thanks, GPT
You're the best :thumbsu:

And even if I’m wrong about QLD and NSW, it doesn’t mean Canberra or the NT shouldn’t eventually get a team. I think you’ll find both those territories do care about footy.

And if we’re going to hopefully have teams there, a 22nd would do nicely to make it 22 teams 22 rounds for a much more balanced fixture. Expansion still has more legs.
Interested to know how you think playing in June in the NT would go...their top league is playing now for a reason

We already have enough interstate sooking about Vic dominance.

If the clubs in Victoria are consolidated down to 3, there'd never be another interstate Grand Final winner ever again.

St Kilda, Melbourne, North, and the Bulldogs have been in the VFL from the very beginning. Why aren’t they big clubs? Please explain how this growth will magically start to happen?
They aren’t big? Define big club?

We already have enough interstate sooking about Vic dominance.

If the clubs in Victoria are consolidated down to 3, there'd never be another interstate Grand Final winner ever again.
The salary cap and draft would prevent those clubs from having all the best players, though. Also, Victoria didn’t always win SOO games so I’m not sure what you’re getting at?

Anyway it’ll never happen. The 80s was the chance to start entirely from scratch with the whole comp consisting of new franchise clubs.

They aren’t big? Define big club?
The clubs that have baseline or minimal financial assistance from the AFL.

If you’re going to go by members then all clubs are big clubs except the Suns, Giants, and the Lions. And we have 43k members so even that’s debatable.

How many people are still watching the VFL or the SANFL? Who gives a s**t? People will naturally gravitate towards the top league of that sport.

So why haven’t people naturally gravitated to football in NSW &. QLD? I guess if viewer averages doesn’t convince you, how about looking at the ratings for some individual games.

Sydney played Geelong in Sydney on a Friday night in Round 2. Buddy Franklin looked set to break the 1,000 goal mark. Only 71k Sydney TV viewers for the match.https://tvtonight.com.au/2022/03/friday-25-march-2022.html

Played Richmond in Sydney Friday night in Round 11. Against a team that has won 3 out of the last 6 premierships, only 53k watched. The post game show accurately outdrew the match in Sydney. Friday 27 May 2022 | TV Tonight

Played us on a Friday night in Round 17. Not great rivals, but we did beat them in the 16 GF, and only 45k watched. Friday 8 July 2022 | TV Tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So why haven’t people naturally gravitated to football in NSW &. QLD? I guess if viewer averages doesn’t convince you, how about looking at the ratings for some individual games.

Sydney played Geelong in Sydney on a Friday night in Round 2. Buddy Franklin looked set to break the 1,000 goal mark. Only 71k Sydney TV viewers for the match.https://tvtonight.com.au/2022/03/friday-25-march-2022.html

Played Richmond in Sydney Friday night in Round 11. Against a team that has won 3 out of the last 6 premierships, only 53k watched. The post game show accurately outdrew the match in Sydney. Friday 27 May 2022 | TV Tonight

Played us on a Friday night in Round 17. Not great rivals, but we did beat them in the 16 GF, and only 45k watched. Friday 8 July 2022 | TV Tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does Gold Coast have any TV viewership measures? Sydney and Brisbane still get decent enough crowds; Sydney has a decent number of members, Brissy lagging a bit but not too far behind the 8 ball. Suns and Giants still too early to write off, kinda sounds like you are, though.

The clubs that have baseline or minimal financial assistance from the AFL.
so going off your definition in the EPL Norwich City and Watford are the big clubs as they receive minimal money from the league and Manchester city and Liverpool are the small clubs because they receive the most money from the league?

6722599B-88C7-4F4A-9D43-4E278F4CB89C.jpeg

so going off your definition in the EPL Norwich City and Watford are the big clubs as they receive minimal money from the league and Manchester city and Liverpool are the small clubs because they receive the most money from the league?

View attachment 1613740
Really? The Premier League? Ridiculous, apples and oranges, false equivalence argument. The EPL doesn't give a **** about equalisation.

Really? The Premier League? Ridiculous, apples and oranges, false equivalence argument. The EPL doesn't give a * about equalisation.
Im after the definition of a big club. I’m just using your definition.

The AFL clubs you say aren’t big lead the way in TV viewerships bringing in the TV dollars, they paid off the AFL’s biggest asset marvel stadium. I’d say those clubs are pretty big for the AFL

Im after the definition of a big club. I’m just using your definition.

The AFL clubs you say aren’t big lead the way in TV viewerships bringing in the TV dollars, they paid off the AFL’s biggest asset marvel stadium. I’d say those clubs are pretty big for the AFL
How come the AFL have to keep propping up financial duds like the Gold Coast, GWS, (and yes Brisbane), North Melbourne and St Kilda then? Now, I'm not saying they shouldn't, but for supposed big clubs they aren't doing a very good job of standing on their own two feet. P.S. Yes North's financial position is fine now but they didn't do it on their own, that Tassie money certainly helped, for one.

Remember, the AFL isn't the EPL, the funding model is designed to help the clubs that need it the most (and that's a good thing). I'm just not sure that clubs that need help are "big."

I would define the clubs who have the least funding as big. Keep in mind, I think this can and will fluctuate. Clubs that are big now might not be big in 20 years time and so on.

You can say what you want about how you'd be better off financially if the AFL gave you better fixturing but they don't because... you're not big enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to scrap all Vic clubs and create 3-4 mega Vic franchises

Remove this Banner Ad

Back