Tippett's Gone - READ RULES BEFORE POSTING

Which AFC deserter were/are you most salty towards?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im sorry arent we the club that sticks the high morale ground?.

Trigg set a standard with the sacking of Rendell.

Regardless of context the AFC will sack someone if they bring the club into question, Trigg has done that, and has caused us to lose any ability to trade out Tippett.

If he stays, i wont be renewing my membership I am not supporting a club with double standards that big.

This is what I don't understand, why hasn't he been asked to step down or sacked? Could we have done nothing wrong? I can not wait for the AFL to hand down their findings

Games played had nothing, or very little, to do with it, it was contract size and length, plus player age. The theory being you get a hell of a lot more service from someone who's 20, than someone who's 30, hence they're worth more.
What about doughty we had already got plenty of service from him and he's forever young :p

The AFL hadn't actually outlined what the compensation was to be that early in the picture, we had no idea what we were going to get which why everyone was shitting their pants and there was such pressure on the AFC to sign him. No one trusted the AFL. Hell the AFL were still changing their mind regarding compo about a month before it was all announced. You are right that Geelong lobbied the AFL, but that was after the bands were released much later in the picture, with band 1 initially being simply a first round draft pick. Geelong believed that there should be a higher band for if they were to lose Ablett, as clearly the initial compo wasn't adequate.

Wrong

The AFL 's first press release was on 15 May 2009 and included the following;

"As part of the entry rules for the Gold Coast side, the AFL Commission resolved that any club that lost a player to the expansion side would be eligible for a compensation pick (after the entry of both Gold Coast and the second club to be based in Sydney).

Compensation picks will be tradeable and can be used by clubs at any time within five years. First round compensation picks cannot be used until the end of the first round in the 2010 and 2011 drafts. Clubs will be required to nominate the year in which they plan to use the compensation pick before the first round of the Toyota AFL Premiership Season in that particular year.

The compensatory pick would be assessed around the player’s age (greater weighting for younger players), club contract ranking (greater weighting for club key players), onfield performance (greater weighting for strong club best and fairest performance) and draft position if less than four years experience.

This ranking system will then determine if a club is eligible for a compensatory pick in one of five spots - first-round pick, end-of-first-round pick, second-round pick, end-of-second-round pick or third-round pick. Under the model, the round-one, round-two or round-three picks would be taken immediately after the pick the club already has in that round in the draft that year."
It was not clear what a player like Tippett would be worth but given the expectation that Ablett would be a round 1 pick then Tippett was expected to attract an end of round one at best and possibly a round two pick. This was the only information available when the "agreement" was made with Tippett. The improvement in compensation was announced in June 2010.

Games played had nothing, or very little, to do with it, it was contract size and length, plus player age. The theory being you get a hell of a lot more service from someone who's 20, than someone who's 30, hence they're worth more.

Which is my point. Arguing that Tippett would have been worth a 2nd round pick because he only played 43 games, isn't valid. 3 of the 5 uncontracted signings to GWS were very inexperienced, and all warranted 1st round picks in compensation (2 in Scullys case). He was a massive talent even back in 2009 (Garry Lyon predicted him to win the coleman in 2010). 2009 final against Collingwood is case in point.

It would have been a large contract, and was probably going to be their 2nd marquee behind Ablett.

Davis 18 games for Adelaide = 1st round compensation pick following the clubs 1st selection in draft
Scully 31 games for Melbourne = 2 1st round compensation picks, one following the clubs 1st pick, the 2nd in the middle of the 1st round.
Ward 60 games for Bulldogs = 1st round compensation pick following the clubs 1st selection in draft

Tippo would have warranted at least a 1st round pick if he had gone to the suns, I have no doubt about this. Age was a factor in the compensation, and Tippett only being 22 at the time would have worked in our favour.
Would we still have Bock if Tippett was the one that went?

I believe this was all outlined in some detail about 15,000 posts earlier in this thread:rolleyes:

3riuni.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wrong

The AFL 's first press release was on 15 May 2009 and included the following;

"As part of the entry rules for the Gold Coast side, the AFL Commission resolved that any club that lost a player to the expansion side would be eligible for a compensation pick (after the entry of both Gold Coast and the second club to be based in Sydney).

Compensation picks will be tradeable and can be used by clubs at any time within five years. First round compensation picks cannot be used until the end of the first round in the 2010 and 2011 drafts. Clubs will be required to nominate the year in which they plan to use the compensation pick before the first round of the Toyota AFL Premiership Season in that particular year.

The compensatory pick would be assessed around the player’s age (greater weighting for younger players), club contract ranking (greater weighting for club key players), onfield performance (greater weighting for strong club best and fairest performance) and draft position if less than four years experience.

This ranking system will then determine if a club is eligible for a compensatory pick in one of five spots - first-round pick, end-of-first-round pick, second-round pick, end-of-second-round pick or third-round pick. Under the model, the round-one, round-two or round-three picks would be taken immediately after the pick the club already has in that round in the draft that year."
It was not clear what a player like Tippett would be worth but given the expectation that Ablett would be a round 1 pick then Tippett was expected to attract an end of round one at best and possibly a round two pick. This was the only information available when the "agreement" was made with Tippett. The improvement in compensation was announced in June 2010.

Huh, there you go. However the point still stands that to rate Tippett at a 2nd round draft pick was clearly below market value.

Understand how you could say that. In the field I work in substantive and procedural fairness must apply. And in this case if it is applied justly and mitigation is considered and the court of public opinion doesn't prevail (it shouldn't IMO), then judging by the little we know, severe sanctions should apply but probably not termination IMO.

But happy to agree to disagree. :)

Yep.....but there is also the future to consider.

But if we don't have any slots in the draft, can we upgrade rookies? I thought you had to use your draft picks to do that?
I thought that it was mandatory for every club to have at least three picks which can all be upgrades? Can we upgrade rookies without using picks in the ND? Could be wrong.

Reports we've lost all picks this year?

Throw in the two first rounders we SHOULD HAVE got for Tippett, and Trigg can **** off.

If that sanction is true, he needs to resign, immediately.

I doubt that will happen, more than likely we'd lose our first rounder or something, the AFL forces all clubs to participate in the draft as it is the only way to get a player onto our list. They'll just remove us of picks with any sort of value.

All this bagging of Trigg. Was this Reid's deal?

Trigg would have had to have signed off on it as CEO, also with Reid retiring, what good would the deal have been if no one knew about it?

I would be interested regarding your statement here as I have personal ties in the family to Reid, He left for his own reasons.

I'm sure that's what he'd tell his family. :cool: I am not giving the reasons other than it wasn't to do with the Tippett contract (he was already going before that).

I doubt that will happen, more than likely we'd lose our first rounder or something, the AFL forces all clubs to participate in the draft as it is the only way to get a player onto our list. They'll just remove us of picks with any sort of value.

Trigg would have had to have signed off on it as CEO, also with Reid retiring, what good would the deal have been if no one knew about it?

Yes but it's a slightly different thing to say this was Reid's deal that Trigg knew about than saying it was all Trigg's idea. Reid was football operations manager yes? I assume he would have discussed it with Trigg before he agree it but who knows? And imagine he agreed it with Muppett and Co just to get the deal done and then told Trigg. Would be very hard for Trigg to then say no way Jose.

Huh, there you go. However the point still stands that to rate Tippett at a 2nd round draft pick was clearly below market value.

This will be a key factor in the AFC defence of the pre-agreed trade value for Kurt. Things were much different in late 2009 when Reid and Triggy were negotiating with Blucher. As I outlined a couple of months ago the basis of the agreement was that Adelaide would get the equivalent compensation to what would have applied if Gold Coast had picked up Kurt as an uncontracted player. In late 2009 they were expecting either a draft pick at the end of the first round or a second round draft pick. Blucher wanted to stick to the initial valuation but the AFC were arguing that the "intent" of the agreement was what actually would have happened if Kurt went to Gold Coast at the end of 2010. There is no way that we would have received two first round picks (i.e. the Ablett compensation) but we probably would have received a round one selection after our first round selection. Given our poor form in 2010 this would have been pick 15 if we used it for the 2010 draft.

This will all come out in the next couple of weeks.

Yes, which is why they might have thought that aspect of the agreement was relatively legitimate. We weren't going for overs, we weren't actually trying to position ourselves better. (As someone else said, we can't even cheat well!).
I think just the desperation to sign the Tiprat resulted in them accepting all of it.. Including the risk..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back