Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep,
The club seems to be in a hurry all of a sudden. Do they want/need a flag before Tassie hits to try and shore up Melbourne sponsorship? Gotta be a huge hole in the budget when the Tassie deal ends.

Short cutting a rebuild never ends badly.

Nah they are flying as a club. Building the best facilities in the league.

I just dont think its a need to go this hard at two key defenders.

If you get any upside at all.

Why do you think the Hawks may be willing to take this risk?

Could have something to do with a failed pick 6 pick Digby-Granger-Barrass who may be delisted this year. They got nothing from that risk taken with pick 6.
The reason for the trade is a key defender for a couple of years.

Our club seems determined to overpay for one.

I just don’t see the sense in going for someone whose going to cost a lot that doesn’t line up with our best footy.

We should be aiming for younger players.

Saints will be filthy if that happens.

I agree Hawthorn will land both.

St Kilda list management in 2022, James Gallagher, signing Battle to a two year extension until 2024 but not making sure that the second year was paid enough to land him in the top 25% of the squad so he is a restricted free agent (roughly 9 guys paid higher than him currently) is who St Kilda should be filthy at.

No Barrass doesn’t. As I’ve said earlier Barrass will make very little difference to us competing for a flag next year.

It’s all about the younger guys upfield being able to back up from the end of this year and go again.

Our club seems determined to go for a KPD having chased McKay and Esava.

So will likely overpay for Barrass. I just don’t see as much value in it.
What are the biggest holes in your list?
A good KPD and a KPF would be the 2 for me.
Barrass shores up the KPD for next year, your midfield has been reasonably good, ruck is good, most of your smaller runners are good.

Barrass is a significant upgrade on what you have

Battle is getting 950k to trigger the compo. This has been widely reported.
For years figures in the media regarding Hawthorn player contract have been inflated. I've seen the reports will wait with baited breath to see if these ones are finally true.

What are the biggest holes in your list?
A good KPD and a KPF would be the 2 for me.
Barrass shores up the KPD for next year, your midfield has been reasonably good, ruck is good, most of your smaller runners are good.

Barrass is a significant upgrade on what you have
Some speed around the middle would be good as well.

Frost has been really good this year and while Barrass is better he’s not going to last much longer than Frost.

It’s not that Barrass isn’t a good player. It’s that he’s close to the end while our list is close to the start.

We’d just get Barrass then already have to start looking at replacing him. If it was our last chance at a flag in the next two years it would make sense. But that’s not where our list is at.

Feel free to explain how is it slander if it's factually correct at the time?

Pretty salty comment.
I'm not salty at all 🤣 I want us to keep DGB. It will just be funny that the same supporters bagging him could end up with the bloke playing for their club.

If DGB stays and does nothing, so be it. If he goes and becomes a gun at another club well done to him because I like him.

Some speed around the middle would be good as well.

Frost has been really good this year and while Barrass is better he’s not going to last much longer than Frost.

It’s not that Barrass isn’t a good player. It’s that he’s close to the end while our list is close to the start.

We’d just get Barrass then already have to start looking at replacing him. If it was our last chance at a flag in the next two years it would make sense. But that’s not where our list is at.
You have your Barrass replacement on the list in McCabe. Barrass has 3-4 years minimum which is enough time for McCabe to be ready, Frost doesn't have that long.

What you guys messed up in the rebuild was leaving KPPs till so late. It's either trade in a KPD or delay your push for a premiership by 2-3 years waiting for one to develop.

If you wait you also lose most of whats remaining of Sicily, it'd be less than likely that whoever you draft with pick 10ish will be better than Barrass or Sicily, and your mids are all into their 20s now with Day and Newcombe being 23 at the start of next year.

If I had your list I'd be 100% for getting in an elite KPP of some description to make a go of it next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Tom Barrass is too old then the argument can be made that James Sicily should be traded for more first round picks.

The reason for the trade is a key defender for a couple of years.

Our club seems determined to overpay for one.

I just don’t see the sense in going for someone whose going to cost a lot that doesn’t line up with our best footy.

We should be aiming for younger players.

Coach out of contract next season maybe a factor?

As reported Hawks have used 4 top 10 picks over the last four drafts. Now looks like they want to fast track quality in defense.

Sicily 29 so needs to peak in the next 3 to 4 years.

You have your Barrass replacement on the list in McCabe. Barrass has 3-4 years minimum which is enough time for McCabe to be ready, Frost doesn't have that long.

What you guys messed up in the rebuild was leaving KPPs till so late. It's either trade in a KPD or delay your push for a premiership by 2-3 years waiting for one to develop.

If you wait you also lose most of whats remaining of Sicily, it'd be less than likely that whoever you draft with pick 10ish will be better than Barrass or Sicily, and your mids are all into their 20s now with Day and Newcombe being 23 at the start of next year.

If I had your list I'd be 100% for getting in an elite KPP of some description to make a go of it next year
McCabe will be more a CHB type.

Barrass hardly affects our push for a premiership at all. Will be all on our up the field work. Our defence has been rock solid since the catastrophe at the start.

I have no problems trading in a KPD. Overpaying for one who’s going to be 29 is silly given our list. If the price is at least a first it needs to be someone we will get a lot of time out of.

McCabe will be more a CHB type.

Barrass hardly affects our push for a premiership at all. Will be all on our up the field work. Our defence has been rock solid since the catastrophe at the start.

I have no problems trading in a KPD. Overpaying for one who’s going to be 29 is silly given our list. If the price is at least a first it needs to be someone we will get a lot of time out of.
From the stuff you're writing sounds like you do not value a backline at all. Of course a good defence affects whether you contend or not WTF are you on about LMAO.

You are buying 2-3 years of contention by trading in Barrass. The people running your club know this.
They have the pieces there ready to go, your mids are starting to enter their prime.

Overpaying for Barrass would be trading 2 years worth of 1st and 2nd rounders. A 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder isn't overpaying. It's just good business.

You are 3+ years away from having your own developed KPD.
Your list is great up the ground at not conceding inside 50s, but once it reaches your backline your list kinda sucks. No brainer to chase an elite defender.

That would be a terrible argument. The Eagles wouldn’t be letting him walk if they were in the Hawks position. It’s only because they’re bad and rebuilding.
No it's not.

If a 1st and 2nd rounder are worth more than an elite KPD to the Hawks list with there theyre at, why are they worth more than Sicily who is roughly the same value and age?
They have better depth in half backs than KPDs right now so argument could be made that Barrass is worth more to them, not counting captaincy.

That would be a terrible argument. The Eagles wouldn’t be letting him walk if they were in the Hawks position. It’s only because they’re bad and rebuilding.
You know what else is important when you're bad and rebuiding? Senior players with experience and leadership that build culture and set the standards for young players.

It's not like Barass is 31 / 32 - if he has 4-5 good years left in him, you keep him to help mentor and develop the kids. The issue is, I think WC know he doesn't have that in him - hence the reason they're open to moving him and his salary on..

It's like when you buy that used car....it might look great on the surface, but there might be underlying issues that the buying party can't see....

Shouldn't we be waiting until Barrass completes medicals at prospective clubs before arguing value?

Sorry to point out the elephant in the room but his injury history has some question marks around longevity....

You know what else is important when you're bad and rebuiding? Senior players with experience and leadership that build culture and set the standards for young players.

It's not like Barass is 31 / 32 - if he has 4-5 good years left in him, you keep him to help mentor and develop the kids. The issue is, I think WC know he doesn't have that in him - hence the reason they're open to moving him and his salary on..

It's like when you buy that used car....it might look great on the surface, but there might be underlying issues that the buying party can't see....
Supposedly Harry Edwards our next in line KPD is getting offers from other clubs too.

It sounds like it's a case of we can only keep one of them, and Barrass is worth significantly more plus is 5 years older.

I'd lean toward keeping Harry Edwards.

People overrate draft picks.

The average number of games across 40 drafts for pick 10 is 97.

That’s less than 4 seasons.

Even if he only gives you 75% of games across 4 years, he’s an elite back and has great off field attributes - that’s a deal you take to the bank every day.

I’m excited for what he can do, but also excited to see how he helps develop McCabe, let alone teach Dear at training for 4 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back