Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting a player of Barras’ quality would be a 10% chance.
And if it was a 24 year old Barrass I wouldn’t think twice about paying a first.

As it stands we will only get a few years out of Barrass and will have to hope they are close to his best. If our list was 2-3 years older it would make a lot more sense.

Getting a player of Barras’ quality would be a 10% chance.
Maybe but it doesn't have to be his quality to be perhaps worth it. You get

A) More years out of them

B) Get them on a rookie contract not the better part of a million per year

Every list decision is a rick but i think going to the draft as a young list only just starting to push up the ladder is a much smaller risk than offering 800+ and 4+ years as well as multiple draft assets.

Every list decision is a rick but i think going to the draft as a young list only just starting to push up the ladder is a much smaller risk than offering 800+ and 4+ years as well as multiple draft assets.

Not just four years, it should be 100 games at top level performance.

Odds are very long on getting that at all out of even multiple draft picks.

Trading is always taking the known quantity to set and forget that position.

For the most clarity, 100 games at top level performance spread over 2025, 2026, 2027 and 2028. I would hope that first round picks play 100 games across their entire career - but I don't think you'll get borderline/AA form out of them for 100 games in the next four years even with a couple/multiple of guys cumulatively contributing at once.

For the most clarity, 100 games at top level performance spread over 2025, 2026, 2027 and 2028. I would hope that first round picks play 100 games across their entire career - but I don't think you'll get borderline/AA form out of them for 100 games in the next four years even with a couple/multiple of guys cumulatively contributing at once.
Barrass hasn’t played 20 games in a season yet. If he plays two more games this year it would be the first season he’s done that.

So I can’t see him playing 25 games a year over the next four years. There’s also the likelihood of him dropping off very quickly past 30.

He’s also only made the AA squad once and never made the team. It’s a big leap to say he’s going to perform at AA level.

I’m just not certain we get 100 games of that quality from Barrass. It’s possible sure, but I think that’s close to best case scenario.

On your last point my argument would be if those draft picks just end up as solid best 22 contributors for our upcoming window that’s far from a disaster. Nothing is certain with draft picks but in a really even and strong looking draft I am not sure I like the idea of trading out of it for a 29 year old who has had back issues.

The flexibility of the picks plus the cap space is more enticing to me I think. I’d live with parting with a first but I wouldn’t want to throw anything else in. Not suggesting West Coast should accept it, just think from our perspective the cost becomes too much.

The upside is far greater though and the time you get out of them potentially a lot more as well.

Barrass makes sense for a team at the end of their window.

Doesn’t make nearly as much sense for a team like Hawthorn who have a very young list and whose best doesn’t align with Barrass.
Barrass allows you to be a premiership contender instantly, and covers then gap until Mccabe or whoever is ready.
Sicily is 29, ideally hes still around when youre pushing finals. He would be a hard loss to cover.

The Barrass trade could set you up for 7+ years near the top.

You realistically have all the young talent a club could need to go far, especially mids as this is a mid heavy draft in the first round.

The upside is far greater though and the time you get out of them potentially a lot more as well.

Barrass makes sense for a team at the end of their window.

Doesn’t make nearly as much sense for a team like Hawthorn who have a very young list and whose best doesn’t align with Barrass.

If you get any upside at all.

Why do you think the Hawks may be willing to take this risk?

Could have something to do with a failed pick 6 pick Digby-Granger-Barrass who may be delisted this year. They got nothing from that risk taken with pick 6.

Given his ongoing back issues and what he could fetch WCE in trade value, this is a big step in the right direction for West Coast. 2x Firsts.

Waterman trade doesn’t make sense. Allen/Waterman looks dangerous once Oscar is back to full fitness.
Won't be 2 firsts from us.

Last edited:
Barrass hasn’t played 20 games in a season yet. If he plays two more games this year it would be the first season he’s done that.

So I can’t see him playing 25 games a year over the next four years. There’s also the likelihood of him dropping off very quickly past 30.

He’s also only made the AA squad once and never made the team. It’s a big leap to say he’s going to perform at AA level.

DGB pick 6.

How many quality games has he and pick 6 delivered for the Hawks?

Given his ongoing back issues and what he could fetch WCE in trade value, this is a big step in the right direction for West Coast. 2x Firsts.

Waterman trade doesn’t make sense. Allen/Waterman looks dangerous once Oscar is back to full fitness.
There's no 'ongoing' back issues.

It won't affect his playing ability at all, that's already been clarified.

It's something he'll need to deal with after he retires, like all footballers do.

What's the chances more clubs start making offers for Barrass now everybody knows he's on the market?

Any other clubs need a KPD?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DGB pick 6.

How many quality games has he and pick 6 delivered for the Hawks?
In one of the worst drafts of all time that was compromised because of Covid. Day, Watson, Weddle, Mackenzie all look quality players for the next 10 years. Ward will be AFL standard as well just a matter of what level.

Nothing is guaranteed with the draft but I think our recent track record wouldn’t have us scared to go back to the draft.

In one of the worst drafts of all time that was compromised because of Covid. Day, Watson, Weddle, Mackenzie all look quality players for the next 10 years. Ward will be AFL standard as well just a matter of what level.

Nothing is guaranteed with the draft but I think our recent track record wouldn’t have us scared to go back to the draft.
Mitchell has clearly honed in on getting a KPD last year and this year so obviously sees it as an area of need. By all means go to the draft, but the chances of you getting a Weitering who is ready to play and catches up to the development of your mids age profile as a KPD is pretty slim. Clarko getting Buddy and Rough day dot so their age profile is right when the mids come through then trading in Lake and Gibson was brilliant for a rookie coach. To me it’s pretty clear Mitchell is following a similar model when you look at who he targeted last year and this year. I’d expect a big play for players like Waterman and Oscar Allen too.

There is ongoing back issues. That comes straight from the man himself.
There was absolutely no comment about it affecting his football you’re talking absolute shit. Tell me your understanding of Tom’s injuries, likely prognosis and how specifically they affect his footy?

If you can’t then shut up.

There was absolutely no comment about it affecting his football you’re talking absolute shit. Tell me your understanding of Tom’s injuries, likely prognosis and how specifically they affect his footy?

Not sure why you’re taking this so personally. I’m just passing on what he said.

Not sure why you’re taking this so personally. I’m just passing on what he said.
No you’re making statements to suit your narrative that are far from what he said in that interview. So, tell me your understanding of Tom’s injuries, likely prognosis and how specifically they affect his footy?

There's no 'ongoing' back issues.

It won't affect his playing ability at all, that's already been clarified.

It's something he'll need to deal with after he retires, like all footballers do.

The other poster just said he has ongoing issues. This is what Tom Barrass said himself:

“It still gives me a bit of trouble in my everyday life. It’s OK when I’m moving but as soon as I’m static I feel like I’ve got a broken back again,” Barrass said.

“It’s a permanent thing and it’s something that I work on from the second I wake up I’ve got to do my mobility and get moving and find a way to come to work.

“But with the physiotherapy and some of the other medical treatments that are available to me, I’m able to get out of bed and get moving and get on with my life mostly,” he said.

“If I do it again I’m certainly in trouble but mate, I’m like you, I’ve got a mortgage, this is my job and I’ve got a family and I’ve got to go to work everyday.

“There’s a point at which I’ll certainly stop trying or have to completely prioritise things (at home) but I’ve got a job.

“I’ve got a role to play and I’m going to do my very best to balance all the balls while I can and if that becomes unmanageable I’ll have to say goodbye.”

How is that not an ongoing issue?

Mitchell has clearly honed in on getting a KPD last year and this year so obviously sees it as an area of need. By all means go to the draft, but the chances of you getting a Weitering who is ready to play and catches up to the development of your mids age profile as a KPD is pretty slim. Clarko getting Buddy and Rough day dot so their age profile is right when the mids come through then trading in Lake and Gibson was brilliant for a rookie coach. To me it’s pretty clear Mitchell is following a similar model when you look at who he targeted last year and this year. I’d expect a big play for players like Waterman and Oscar Allen too.
I am not arguing we are chasing one. I just think we are not in a position to over pay for one towards the end of his career. If the Eagles agree to move him on at a decent price for both sure, if they are trying to extract maximum value I hope we pass.

The other poster just said he has ongoing issues. This is what Tom Barrass said himself:

“It still gives me a bit of trouble in my everyday life. It’s OK when I’m moving but as soon as I’m static I feel like I’ve got a broken back again,” Barrass said.

“It’s a permanent thing and it’s something that I work on from the second I wake up I’ve got to do my mobility and get moving and find a way to come to work.

“But with the physiotherapy and some of the other medical treatments that are available to me, I’m able to get out of bed and get moving and get on with my life mostly,” he said.

“If I do it again I’m certainly in trouble but mate, I’m like you, I’ve got a mortgage, this is my job and I’ve got a family and I’ve got to go to work everyday.

“There’s a point at which I’ll certainly stop trying or have to completely prioritise things (at home) but I’ve got a job.

“I’ve got a role to play and I’m going to do my very best to balance all the balls while I can and if that becomes unmanageable I’ll have to say goodbye.”

It's not an ongoing issue that will affect his ability to play football, because what wasn't quoted in that article is where he said in the interview he feels fine when playing.

TiAn_ appreciate this. Clearly as a Freo supporter on here I should stay in my lane and not pass on what said player has mentioned away from a media presser or interview 🤷‍♂️ eaglevision knows his flock well through WCE medical statements and his word alone should be enough to sway others on this forum.

It's not an ongoing issue that will affect his ability to play football, because what wasn't quoted in that article is where he said in the interview he feels fine when playing.

No, he doesn’t say that in the Ch 7 interview. I’ve watched it. The closest he comes to that is in one of the quotes I posted “it’s ok when I’m moving”.

Something he says in the interview that isn’t quoted in the article is that he’s asked if it could shorten his career at all and he says:

“I think there’s certainly a risk of that, yeah”

That then leads into the bit about physio I quoted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back