Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

The entitlement of the WCE fans is absurd. Recently we've already given them Brockman for basically nothing and we even gave them a lend of Sammy. Get what your given.

I think Brockman can certainly make an impact for us in the future, however he's had a false start with off field issues and barely made a dent in the WAFL side this season let alone AFL. If West Coast wanted to bend Hawthorn over last year they'd have walked him to the PSD given he was uncontracted. Instead they worked out a pretty reasonable trade where Hawthorn were happy enough and Tyler had certainty.

Sam Mitchell is etched into history at our footy club after 2018 - he will always be a very well respected player/coach over here. My respect for Hawthorn has grown hugely after what he's been able to achieve so far.

We also don't owe Hawthorn anything for either transaction. Neither club is out to bend one another over and it's rare that happens at all, PSD part included. West Coast do have the leverage but no doubt they will factor in doing the right thing by Barrass and his family.

Sad thing is these nuffs crying over wanting 2 firsts will probably get their way because we bend over very easily.

What's he worth? Anything other than outrageous speculation is impossible given the rarity of a player like Barrass hitting the market. Eagles fan or not, he's a star KPD that would make an impact on the performance and leadership group of any club. I think it's pretty set that there will be a first rounder involved at the very least, who knows what sort of complexities they will work out to solve the rest. Admittedly I would laugh all the way to the draft if we ended up with two firsts, however as we know it's far more likely it'll land somewhere in between.

As mentioned above, we saw with McKay that the established KPD market is literally whatever a club is willing to pay at that point in time. Two firsts is certainly a bit of a stretch, but how desperate are Hawthorn to sign a blue chip key position player who's already under long term contract in his home state? Amazingly, Hawthorn could well be in a premiership window and in the position to throw the kitchen sink at a couple of these guys to seal it. Particularly when the acquisition of a player like Barrass just allows more freedom for your best? player Sicily to continue dominating.

**** me, the tin rattlers ended up with Pick 3 in compensation for McKay who made $1.5mil this year? Not for one second am I saying that Hawthorn will need to pull a top 3 pick out of their backsides for Barrass, but objectively I think we all know what player we'd prefer in a premiership run.

I'm waiting on Brockman, new club + off field stuff, showed signs and I think come next year will take the next step.

The entitlement of the WCE fans is absurd. .
Ah yes, the entitlement of fans expecting a decent return for our vice captain and top 5 KPD(who's contracted for 3 years) after Hawks 'graciously' let us have an uncontracted Brockman we could've walked to the PSD for a pick in the 40s.

The audacity!

Get a few wins and the real entitlement of some Hawks fans has apparently reared its head.

Ah yes, the entitlement of fans expecting a decent return for our vice captain and top 5 KPD(who's contracted for 3 years) after Hawks 'graciously' let us have an uncontracted Brockman we could've walked to the PSD for a pick in the 40s.

The audacity!

Get a few wins and the real entitlement of some Hawks fans has apparently reared its head.
Decent return is fine, most are demanding extreme overs 'because he is contracted' despite knowing it is in the best interest of the club to move on from him.

Decent return is fine, most are demanding extreme overs 'because he is contracted' despite knowing it is in the best interest of the club to move on from him.
Ah but that's where the difference lies.

'extreme overs' means vastly different things to Hawks and WCE supporters.

I mean, some of you are suggesting your first and DGB, for instance

That is a laughably bad offer on par with 4 + Brockman and F1st for Reid last year.

You need to understand that the more you win, the more your first gets pushed back and Hawthorn will need to stump up something extra to satisfy WCE to release a contracted and required player.

Hawks have zero leverage in this situation and they're the ones heavily pursuing Barrass but they're not the only club to do so.

Ah but that's where the difference lies.

'extreme overs' means vastly different things to Hawks and WCE supporters.

I mean, some of you are suggesting your first and DGB, for instance

That is a laughably bad offer on par with 4 + Brockman and F1st for Reid last year.

You need to understand that the more you win, the more your first gets pushed back and Hawthorn will need to stump up something extra to satisfy WCE to release a contracted and required player.

Hawks have zero leverage in this situation and they're the ones heavily pursuing Barrass but they're not the only club to do so.
Nah i am not even talking about hypotheticals. I am legit talking about the West Coast fans legit demanding 'way overs'.

The leverage thing is overplayed in my opinion. West Coast can hold him, absolutely. They need to be fairly compensated.

But this is a team that promised him a pay increase and went back on it, yes new management but it is average way to go about business.

They need to get young talent in the door to accelerate the rebuild and he is one of the few on the list, open to moving, with currency that also will not be around for the next flag tilt.

West Coast really have no incentive to hold him as long as they get a fair offer.

Not suggesting West Coast should just bend over and take whatever is offered but i don't think they have some amazing leverage to demand the world.

Nah i am not even talking about hypotheticals. I am legit talking about the West Coast fans legit demanding 'way overs'.

The leverage thing is overplayed in my opinion. West Coast can hold him, absolutely. They need to be fairly compensated.

But this is a team that promised him a pay increase and went back on it, yes new management but it is average way to go about business.

They need to get young talent in the door to accelerate the rebuild and he is one of the few on the list, open to moving, with currency that also will not be around for the next flag tilt.

West Coast really have no incentive to hold him as long as they get a fair offer.

Not suggesting West Coast should just bend over and take whatever is offered but i don't think they have some amazing leverage to demand the world.
They did give him an increase, it just wasn't what he was expecting.

Barrass has a 3 year contract, that's all the leverage they need. If a club doesn't offer what they'd consider a good enough offer to help bring in enough first round talent this draft, why bother even entertaining it?

The entitlement of the WCE fans is absurd. Recently we've already given them Brockman for basically nothing and we even gave them a lend of Sammy. Get what your given.
I guess we'll deal with the Dogs then

They did give him an increase, it just wasn't what he was expecting.

Barrass has a 3 year contract, that's all the leverage they need. If a club doesn't offer what they'd consider a good enough offer to help bring in enough first round talent this draft, why bother even entertaining it?
They didn't give him what was promised is the rumour.

Again no one (almost) is saying they just take any offer, but the situation they are in makes them motivated to sell. They have the final say but the leverage is no where near as great as some West Coast fans are trying to make out.

Tom, if you're reading this, Carlton is way cooler than Hawthorn.

Would you rather wear the iconic navy blue or something that resembles poo and wee?

Easy decision IMO.
What's your offer? Genuine question. Everything so far has been Hawthorn, Hawthorn, Hawthorn. Apparently four clubs are after him and two stand out like a sore thumb. The other two I'm less certain about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's your offer? Genuine question. Everything so far has been Hawthorn, Hawthorn, Hawthorn. Apparently four clubs are after him and two stand out like a sore thumb. The other two I'm less certain about.

I suspect Saints could be one with Battle going to the Hawks.

They'll end up having...

checks notes

Pick 32.

Probably fair for Barrass

Expected to have the Cats first as well but yes with English now likely staying they don't have the currency unless they dip into next years draft.

Tom, if you're reading this, Carlton is way cooler than Hawthorn.

Would you rather wear the iconic navy blue or something that resembles poo and wee?

Easy decision IMO.
You would inj him …… wasted there .

They didn't give him what was promised is the rumour.

Again no one (almost) is saying they just take any offer, but the situation they are in makes them motivated to sell. They have the final say but the leverage is no where near as great as some West Coast fans are trying to make out.
Well, I agree with most of what you say but WCE has all the leverage as he's contracted.

Players every year get denied trade requests, so he won't be the first to be held to his contract if another club can't satisfy WCE and certainly won't be the last.

Hawthorn is under no obligation to trade for Barrass. If WCE asking price is too high then what else can the Hawks do except say sorry to Tom and then everyone gets on with their lives.

Well, I agree with most of what you say but WCE has all the leverage as he's contracted.

Players every year get denied trade requests, so he won't be the first to be held to his contract if another club can't satisfy WCE and certainly won't be the last.
Again i have never once argued they don't have the final say, my entire point is West Coast in the position they are in are motivated to make a deal.

West Coast will try to get the best deal they can, as all clubs do. However this is not an example of a club strongly wanting to keep the player no matter what they say publicly.

This is why i think the leverage thing is being overplayed. If Reid (just as an example) wanted out, it would be completely different because he is integral to what the Eagles will be doing going forward. They would rightfully ask for the entire world or just keep him. Barrass is a different situation.

Hawthorn is under no obligation to trade for Barrass. If WCE asking price is too high then what else can the Hawks do except say sorry to Tom and then everyone gets on with their lives.
If course they're not obligated. They've made massive overtures though, so I expect they'll stump up something reasonable.

I wouldn't expect WCE to go full Geelong either

Hawks aren’t desperate for TB’s services and will only do a deal if it’s a fair one.

Currently Hawks backline is doing quite well, Blanck is coming back from injury and we have high hopes with our first rounder from last year Will McCabe who looks promising as a 197cm athletic type.

1723620678986.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back