Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

it is becoming a delicate situation. After you factor in Academy picks etc., Hawthorn's first rounder is going to fall at about 21 or even 22.
that won't get the deal done.
future first? even though it's probably going to be 18 (even lower after academies etc) it is still too much to trade this year's F1 (pick 21) and next years F1 (18 + whatever) for Barrass.
I think a player might be involved.
anyway, history tells us the deal will get done.
It certainly doesnt. Many times it hasnt been. McCarthy/Papley/Kelly some good recent examples Hickey put in a trade request, we kept him a extra season and then traded him the following year for Eagles

It certainly doesnt. Many times it hasnt been. McCarthy/Papley/Kelly some good recent examples Hickey put in a trade request, we kept him a extra season and then traded him the following year for Eagles
Difference is that those sides could afford to hold onto players, as they weren’t in desperate need to get picks in before a bunch of drafts with concessions to a new side were given.

Eagles hold Barass and they slow down their attempt at a rebuild.

This didn’t happen.

Dogs thought it would happen, but it didn’t happen.
Looks like I was hooked in by trade radio once again. Those blokes really know how to milk every ounce.

Difference is that those sides could afford to hold onto players, as they weren’t in desperate need to get picks in before a bunch of drafts with concessions to a new side were given.

Why would Tassie coming into the comp in 4 years have any bearing on the Eagles drafts in 2024, 2025 and 2026? By the time Tassie comes into the competition the Eagles rebuild will be over.

Barrass also isn't our only option to trade out to generate more picks this draft.

I’d be surprised if it’s more than pick one this year.. that was too much before Hawks ascent up the ladder.. Probably more reasonable now for a player the eagles are open to leaving. The Eagles probably need the pick for the Baker trade so should happen early..Would make sense for Denver to be involved as a token gesture given he’s going to be further down the pecking order..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Any West Coast player thinking we are getting 2 1st rounders is going to be disappointed (the only caveat perhaps being if you make it to the prelims, with something coming back).

I highly doubt though that whichever 1st is involved is going for Baker when we are wanting draft picks to rebuild. I do want Baker however, would be a great get. But I think we will try to get Baker on the cheaper end (our version of cheap, not the Port Adelaide version). Possibly though the inflating of Graham's compensation..

Hmm okay but that was a situation where the selling side was very keen for the move

We are defintly not keen for this move. I think its more of a Lachie Schultz situation. Freo had him under contract, were not keen on him leaving so Collingwood paid overs

Schultz went for 2nd rounder and future 1st..... I think Barass is better then Schulz yeah ?

Schultz is hardly the guideline for ANY trade, the opposite in fact.
(as some Tigers supporters in the Baker thread need to be reminded also)

wrt the deal being done, I was talking about the two clubs involved. WCE and Hawks are reasonable, unlike Essendon and the Swans, who have a long history of the opposite.

If Hawthorn don't then have the currency for him... then trading less than they should get for him will also slow down their attempt at a rebuild.

Why would Tassie coming into the comp in 4 years have any bearing on the Eagles drafts in 2024, 2025 and 2026? By the time Tassie comes into the competition the Eagles rebuild will be over.

Barrass also isn't our only option to trade out to generate more picks this draft.
Draft will likely be impacted from 2026. You’ve got 2024 and 2025 to get your shit together.

Eagles won’t hold Barass.

I think you are inverting who the onus is on here.

West Coast aren’t pushing Barrass out. We’ve been through this the last 3 years with TB and every time we have been more than happy to keep him.

KPD’s of TB quality are becoming extremely rare on the market. Hawthorn threw the bag at Mackay, a far inferior player and by all accounts Mitchell was very flat having missed out.

Mitchell knows the list needs another KPD as it allows Weddle and Sicily to play looser and more attacking brand.

Hawks will pay up to get the deal done. Hawks will want to give up their first, West Coast would want Hawks F1 thrown in as well.

It will end up somewhere between the two.

Despite some supporters on both sides. This will be an easy trade and likely done on day 1 or 2.

Draft will likely be impacted from 2026. You’ve got 2024 and 2025 to get your shit together.

Eagles won’t hold Barass.

Likely impacted? Oh well we better get a move on and let Barrass go for unders.

Do you honestly think that side will be rebuilt in the next 3 years? Hahaha 🤣

Did you honestly think the Hawks would be already?

We're one year into our 3 year plan to be the youngest or one of the youngest teams in the comp. We've hit the draft over the last few seasons and I expect two more drafts to go before we're ready to start hitting trade targets. In the following years we'll also hit free agency. We have a stacked draft next year with NGAs and a F/S who is tracking nicely.

I don't expect at all that come Tasmania that the Eagles are still hitting the drafts to rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 12 isnt going to magically fix our club...

Its just not that important. Now if you had pick 3 and were giving it thats another story

The entitlement of the WCE fans is absurd. Recently we've already given them Brockman for basically nothing and we even gave them a lend of Sammy. Get what your given.

Regarding Brockman, you can have him back if you like

I was reliably told by Hawks supporters last year he was easily worth a 2nd rounder and probably a 1st so I'm bit wary listening to them again this year

Regarding Brockman, you can have him back if you like

I was reliably told by Hawks supporters last year he was easily worth a 2nd rounder and probably a 1st so I'm bit wary listening to them again this year

Isn’t it amazing how one eyed fans can be about their own players’ trade value.

Glad we aren’t dealing with that now with Barrass.

Hawthorn, at an important point in their rebuild, let vice captain Jaeger O'Meara and Brownlow winner Tom Mitchell (both contracted) go for not much.

I understand that A grade key position defenders are harder to find, but why is Barrass worth two first rounders when the aforementioned players were worth 2nd and 3rds?

I firmly believe this will get done for a first round draft pick, and depending on where we finish this season potentially later picks on top.
But two firsts would be negligent on our behalf and personally I hope we wouldn't do it.

A first round pick in this draft and a returning James Blanck is a great fallback option when the price could be Tom Barrass and no access to the first round of 2 consecutive drafts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back