Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027] - Reportedly headed to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Being smacked in finals is still a whole lot better than whatever the Eagles are doing at the moment.

Calm your farm though. The deal will get done. Nothing surer.

Eagles didn't like what we offered. Fair enough. We've gone out and tried to piece together something different.
As much as we suck im still happier to be us then say St Kilda in that mid table mediocrity patch

Nisbett made a 'handshake' deal.

That's not a club promise and it wasn't smart of Barrass to go against his manager's advice and not get it in writing.
I agree it wasn’t smart I’ve never argued that, but he clearly won’t want to return. At the end of the day a deal almost certainly gets done. I just think the dick measuring contest over who has more leverage is so silly.

4D chess move. Galaxy brain by Sleepy Mark McKenzie.

Hawks amassing picks to make a play at Harley next year ;)

It was all a smoke screen.

I'm not going to pretend to know what is going on behind closed doors but I imagine WC said they needed more than pick 14 and their request for more was more than Hawthorn were keen to pay so they talked to some other clubs (i.e. Carlton) to sound out what more they can get with what they have and ran that by West Coast, who agreed.

Now they're executing those deal(s) to satisfy West Coast. I have no idea exactly what hat looks like (and neither does anyone else).

Usually the most one-eyed supporters on both sides will be dissatisfied with the final deal (suggesting it is probably about right)
If the Hawks are trying to find another way to satisfy the Eagles, trading out of this years draft probably isnt the way to get it done

Nisbett made a 'handshake' deal.

That's not a club promise and it wasn't smart of Barrass to go against his manager's advice and not get it in writing.
More than one way to skin a cat.

Offloading one of your best players for pittance isn't a smart list management strategy, especially when it says to other clubs you're happy to be bent over.

More than one way to skin a cat.

Offloading one of your best players for pittance isn't a smart list management strategy, especially when it says to other clubs you're happy to be bent over.

I would hardly call Pick 14 and a second a pittance for a 29 year old with some health concerns (There is a very small but real risk that he won't play much footy - I'm sure both clubs have done plenty of due diligence and back their medical teams to get him running but there's no guarantees in his body staying healthy).

I agree it wasn’t smart I’ve never argued that, but he clearly won’t want to return. At the end of the day a deal almost certainly gets done. I just think the dick measuring contest over who has more leverage is so silly.
He will easily return, according to one of his closest mates(Schofield).

He's likely to be far more pissed with Hawthorn if they can't get a deal done.

I would hardly call Pick 14 and a second a pittance for a 29 year old with some health concerns (There is a very small but real risk that he won't play much footy - I'm sure both clubs have done plenty of due diligence and back their medical teams to get him running but there's no guarantees).
Anyone could get a head knock next game and their career over in a heartbeat.

If you're going to worry about that stuff, no player is worth much in a trade.

There isn't much to look forward to next year for the Eagles.

Why don't you add some excitement by death riding Carlton in 2025.

They've had a couple of decent years so they're due a stint at the bottom for rebuild #100.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are missing the point altogether

We are not losing out on Pick 14. We are missing out on Liam Baker.

This is a win to most Eagles fans. We call that being saved from ourselves

He will easily return, according to one of his closest mates(Schofield).

He's likely to be far more pissed with Hawthorn if they can't get a deal done.
I am sure Schofield is totally impartial here as well.

Again it’s in no one’s best interest for a trade not to happen. The leverage argument is stupid.

Being smacked in finals is still a whole lot better than whatever the Eagles are doing at the moment.

Calm your farm though. The deal will get done. Nothing surer.

Eagles didn't like what we offered. Fair enough. We've gone out and tried to piece together something different.

Is it? Getting smacked is better than eagles chasing value on contracted player? Hmm

I am calm. Perfectly calm. Enjoying that list manager is going harder as we suspected he was weak. Love it.

Anyone could get a head knock next game and their career over in a heartbeat.

If you're going to worry about that stuff, no player is worth much in a trade.

Sure but let's not be ridiculous. Not every player has medically verifiable back concerns. Barrass does.

Like I said, it's a very small but real risk. Our team would not have courted him nor would the Dogs/Swans if they didn't back our medical team to keep him right.

Sure but let's not be ridiculous. Not every player has medically verifiable back concerns. Barrass does.

Like I said, it's a very small but real risk. Our team would not have courted him nor would the Dogs/Swans if they didn't back our medical team to keep him right.
He also played nearly the entire year with zero issues, other than a hamstring, which he could've returned from.

His injury isn't one that gets worse over time.

Why would we take a f1 and f2, when thats basically the same value as the pick 14 we turned down?

I don't understand this thinking? Will your premiership window have closed in 12 months? Will you no longer want/need draft picks?

Why would a first be worth the same as a better first and a decent 2nd?

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027] - Reportedly headed to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back