Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Read between the lines on what McGovern has said. Wce sold him down the river, what was promised by wce he got at hawthorn. Wce don't want him, if they did they do the agreed handshake and he stays.

It's that simple.
So you're making shit up? Got it.

People conveniently, or deliberately, choose to forget, that TB and his management instigated the whole " I am looking elsewhere, to get more money antics" last year when THEY approached Sydney.

Just maybe!, West Coast has got pissed off and tiresome, of another round of the same dance and have called him on his shit, if you want out - then OK let's see if we can accomodate a deal that mutually suits both parties.

You are ignoring the steps prior to that.

Eagles sounded out Dogs to take him over. He was interested.

Hawks jumped in and said we would like to talk. None of this head hunted business.

Eagles are the ones who put him on the market, no different to Hawks putting Tom Mitchell on the market & listening to offers.

Lets hope outcomes are similar :cool:
When did that happen?

It has been a privilege to watch a high ball (so many) float into the Eagles D50 and know that Barrass would be there to gobble it up.

He is a gun, however moving to a team that travels less, concedes less inside 50s and actually applies pressure in the midfield is a good move for him.

I suspect the deal may end up being pick 12 (or so) and F2, which would probably have both sets of fans feeling a little meh so might be somewhat fair

It has been a privilege to watch a high ball (so many) float into the Eagles D50 and know that Barrass would be there to gobble it up.

He is a gun, however moving to a team that travels less, concedes less inside 50s and actually applies pressure in the midfield is a good move for him.

I suspect the deal may end up being pick 12 (or so) and F2, which would probably have both sets of fans feeling a little meh so might be somewhat fair
Hawks fans may not admit it here, but they will be over the moon with that

I'll never understand. Fans are OK with players getting shafted by the club and say good on the club. Players shafts club, he is a money grabber.

Wce fc are doing both, shafted barrass on a handshake agreement and playing victim and fans being ohhhhh he wants the money no loyalty but we want the world.

Very confused club and fan base

Can't wait for reid to leave
Not Confusd at all and everybody knows what happened, but supporters support their club and not players after they leave

Eagles admin promised their vice C extra's to keep him an sign and his manager advised against it but TB trusted his club and the people that were incharge - as you do similar to treloar constantly pushing back salary to help the pies

New admin comes along and realises the place is a shed show and needs draft picks and low balls TB to push him out to get picks. The eagles shafted him plain and simple
They have a stupid amount of cap space to give him $100k-$150k extra and make things right but they are stuffed and no draft picks so they dont.

In the meanwhile offering a short ass richmond runt $850k x 5 year contract out bidding freo and richmond
Baffling

But of course we will always support our club even though we all know they did the wrong thing and burnt a VC clubman

Not Confusd at all and everybody knows what happened, but supporters support their club and not players after they leave

Eagles admin promised their vice C extra's to keep him an sign and his manager advised against it but TB trusted his club and the people that were incharge - as you do similar to treloar constantly pushing back salary to help the pies

New admin comes along and realises the place is a shed show and needs draft picks and low balls TB to push him out to get picks. The eagles shafted him plain and simple
They have a stupid amount of cap space to give him $100k-$150k extra and make things right but they are stuffed and no draft picks so they dont.

In the meanwhile offering a short ass richmond runt $850k x 5 year contract out bidding freo and richmond
Baffling

But of course we will always support our club even though we all know they did the wrong thing and burnt a VC clubman
Bullshit

Last edited:
Eh it seems about right but i wouldn't be celebrating the cost.

+ We get a quality player

- It is a lot to give up for a 29 year old who has had some serious back issues.

Ultimately seems about fair.

Personally I'm not interested in trading a first and a second for Barrass. That's just too much.

Not that anything we post in here had any bearing on the potential deal, but I'm interesting to know what people think WCE have to gain by playing hardball and potentially keeping him?

Barrass clearly wants out, WCE aren't going to hold him hostage now he's made that clear. Given his age he would not be part of WCE's next push for a flag. Barrass moving on would make room for Edwards to take up a more significant role in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that McGovern is now a 5-time All Australian and Barrass has never made a single team is absurd and not at all representative of Barrass'' sustained quality as a key defender.
Barrass has been unfortunate that his best years have been the clubs poorest years, they tend to try to not give many AAs to the poorer clubs outside exceptional circumstances. Gov being out so much really helped him shine too

Personally I'm not interested in trading a first and a second for Barrass. That's just too much.

Not that anything we post in here had any bearing on the potential deal, but I'm interesting to know what people think WCE have to gain by playing hardball and potentially keeping him?

Barrass clearly wants out, WCE aren't going to hold him hostage now he's made that clear. Given his age he would not be part of WCE's next push for a flag. Barrass moving on would make room for Edwards to take up a more significant role in the side.
Based on the above logic we should just trade Barrass for a 2nd rounder cos whats the point of playing hardball and not holding him hostage?

I kind of feel its also the opposite question to be asked too. Why spend all this time meeting a guy, offering him contracts and offering a 2nd rounder... or believing that a dislike of you giving pick in the 30s should be what 100% means you walk away

When you chase a contracted player, you tend to know the price at the trade table and have accepted where things stand. There isnt going to be too much hard ball being played here. Trade gets done as its already understood what each side wants. In this situation its more or less how do Hawthorn manufacturer another pick in this years draft for us

I think WC supporters would be thrilled with that.

I've read on the WC board that some of your supporters think they will be picking up a 23 year old Pickett with what you will be receiving in the Barrass trade from Hawthorn - seems a bit unrealistic to me.

I've read on the WC board that some of your supporters think they will be picking up a 23 year old Pickett with what you will be receiving in the Barrass trade from Hawthorn - seems a bit unrealistic to me.
Supporters usually understate what they would have to give up for certain players, this isn't club exclusive. At the moment we also badly need to keep draft picks and don't have a lot of player capital to sell so this issue is magnified.

Nobody thinks it's a 1 for 1 swap.
Bassass would form the bulk of it though

Based on the above logic we should just trade Barrass for a 2nd rounder cos whats the point of playing hardball and not holding him hostage?

I kind of feel its also the opposite question to be asked too. Why spend all this time meeting a guy, offering him contracts and offering a 2nd rounder... or believing that a dislike of you giving pick in the 30s should be what 100% means you walk away

When you chase a contracted player, you tend to know the price at the trade table and have accepted where things stand. There isnt going to be too much hard ball being played here. Trade gets done as its already understood what each side wants. In this situation its more or less how do Hawthorn manufacturer another pick in this years draft for us

No, based on the above logic a fair compromise would be made and a first rounder would get the deal done.

Barrass has made it more than clear he wants to leave.

WCE needs picks to help accelerate their rebuild.

Barrass is a depreciating asset that doesn't offer a rebuilding club anything long-term, and would merely be holding the fort at best for a few years and could possibly even be blocking the path of an Edwards over that period.

There's no chance the club overpays for a 29 year old. Look at the price players of a similar age have gone for over the last several years.

No, based on the above logic a fair compromise would be made and a first rounder would get the deal done.

Barrass has made it more than clear he wants to leave.

WCE needs picks to help accelerate their rebuild.

Barrass is a depreciating asset that doesn't offer a rebuilding club anything long-term, and would merely be holding the fort at best for a few years and could possibly even be blocking the path of an Edwards over that period.

There's no chance the club overpays for a 29 year old. Look at the price players of a similar age have gone for over the last several years.
You said it. We need PICKS, not a pick. Replacing a A grade footballer with 1 pick isnt a great way to go. All our eggs in one basket isnt much of a way to be

Eagles stated a long time ago it will require more then a 1st rounder. Its a bit disingenious to keep talking to the guy and leading him on if you were not going to meet the price?

You guys would have accepted the price that it was more then 1 1st rounder 4+ months ago now. If you didnt you wouldnt have wasted your time

You said it. We need PICKS, not a pick. Replacing a A grade footballer with 1 pick isnt a great way to go. All our eggs in one basket isnt much of a way to be

Eagles stated a long time ago it will require more then a 1st rounder. Its a bit disingenious to keep talking to the guy and leading him on if you were not going to meet the price?

You guys would have accepted the price that it was more then 1 1st rounder 4+ months ago now. If you didnt you wouldnt have wasted your time
Fine you can have a future 4th as well.

And you get no picks if you keep him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back