Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Feels like a lot of angst in here around what will be pretty simple in the end. All parties are happy for the trade. It's pretty much the same as Bolton. West Coast want the picks, Hawks want the player, Barrass wants da money. Everyone wins

I'm finding it hard to get a sense of fair trade value from this thread (thought I suppose taking our views and the WCE supporters views and landing somewhere in the middle will be the best bet).

However can someone tell me how many contracted players aged 29 or over have been traded for a first round pick or better in recent years? It's highly likely Barrass will only have a couple of good seasons left. So I'm a bit cautious about us overpaying even if we have a good record recruiting older guys like Lake and Burgers in the past.

I'm finding it hard to get a sense of fair trade value from this thread (thought I suppose taking our views and the WCE supporters views and landing somewhere in the middle will be the best bet).

However can someone tell me how many contracted players aged 29 or over have been traded for a first round pick or better in recent years? It's highly likely Barrass will only have a couple of good seasons left. So I'm a bit cautious about us overpaying even if we have a good record recruiting older guys like Lake and Burgers in the past.
Least amount of disagreement so far appears to be 12 + R2/F2. I would hope WCE are asking for 12 + F1 with something going back. Hawks will obviously want to try to push the price down to 12 with a lower pick or even 12 on its own.

Least amount of disagreement so far appears to be 12 + R2/F2. I would hope WCE are asking for 12 + F1 with something going back. Hawks will obviously want to try to push the price down to 12 with a lower pick or even 12 on its own.
Yeah 12 + anything would be an overpay for me in considering the probable return in terms of quality and longevity. Even 12 I'd probably rather take it to the draft all things being equal.

But if we take an optimistic view - We are hopefully on the cusp of big things and best case he could make the difference between making the finals and winning a flag so maybe it's worth the risk of 12 and a R2 if the Eagles dig in.

One of those decisions that could go either way.

I really don't see Hawks giving up an F1 short of basically making a GF. If they go straight out, the 12 and a 2nd seems pretty spot on. That's s lot for a 29 year old

Yeah 12 + anything would be an overpay for me in considering the probable return in terms of quality and longevity. Even 12 I'd probably rather take it to the draft all things being equal.

But if we take an optimistic view - We are hopefully on the cusp of big things and best case he could make the difference between making the finals and winning a flag so maybe it's worth the risk of 12 and a R2 if the Eagles dig in.

I really don't see Hawks giving up an F1 short of basically making a GF. If they go straight out, the 12 and a 2nd seems pretty spot on. That's s lot for a 29 year old
There is certainly risk with giving up an extra first but it wouldn't happen without something going back the other way. For us, I think it is worth asking for because I think Hawthorn is in a great position with their list and we do need to be aggressive with our list build. I am conscious that Hawthorn basically won't have a draft hand this year so whatever the package is, it likely won't involve pick 30 unless we were able to give them something back in this year's draft.

WC might have a few targets in mind and moving Barrass on will provide the currency plus change. Might be why this one could be done pretty early on as both clubs motivated to get it done before getting to work in other deals.

My only question mark is: I can't see how Hawthorn can involve both firsts in any way, if they have other dealings todo. Even with stuff coming back that could make it fair, you need at least one 1st Rd when in negotiations. On the flipside if it's Barrass and done why wouldn't they just drag it out for the best deal, which could work against the WC if they do have other deals.

There is certainly risk with giving up an extra first but it wouldn't happen without something going back the other way. For us, I think it is worth asking for because I think Hawthorn is in a great position with their list and we do need to be aggressive with our list build. I am conscious that Hawthorn basically won't have a draft hand this year so whatever the package is, it likely won't involve pick 30 unless we were able to give them something back in this year's draft.
I mean, WC can ask, the same way Richmond can ask for 3 1sts but I reckon Hawks are laughing and hanging up, doesn't matter what goes back.

Feels like a lot of angst in here around what will be pretty simple in the end. All parties are happy for the trade. It's pretty much the same as Bolton. West Coast want the picks, Hawks want the player, Barrass wants da money. Everyone wins
I'd argue this one would benefit West Coast more if he stayed. He'd be good to keep the backline somewhat settled for a couple of years and postpone the need to bring in a kid. Not so much like Bolton where he's wasted in a bad team

I mean, WC can ask, the same way Richmond can ask for 3 1sts but I reckon Hawks are laughing and hanging up, doesn't matter what goes back.
Quite possibly but the foundations of their list are already in place. Barrass is arguably more important to their structure than what pick 12 or their F1 will bring. That doesn't mean they should overpay but it means that they're in a better position than most clubs to be able to afford to give up valuable assets to bring in a more valuable asset without shooting themselves in the foot.

I'd argue this one would benefit West Coast more if he stayed. He'd be good to keep the backline somewhat settled for a couple of years and postpone the need to bring in a kid. Not so much like Bolton where he's wasted in a bad team
Yeah but despite some posturing in here, they've decided to move on. He'll get done for overs but not extortion

Until Harry Edwards signed, absolutely. Edwards was being courted by multiple teams. I get the impression that the Barrass deal was done before Edwards signed on.

You are ignoring the steps prior to that.

Eagles sounded out Dogs to take him over. He was interested.

Hawks jumped in and said we would like to talk. None of this head hunted business.

Eagles are the ones who put him on the market, no different to Hawks putting Tom Mitchell on the market & listening to offers.

Lets hope outcomes are similar :cool:
So, back your call up and show us your evidence that that ever happened or are you just MSU?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barrass and Battle in defense and your more than on the cusp IMO.

This is actually going to be an easy trade for the people in charge
West Coast want to cash in Barrass (only reason why they are not giving him an extra $100k to keep him) so they want him out and pick in.

Barrass has thrown the keys to the locker in the toilet and pissed on the door on the way out so HE IS NOT GOING BACK
Hawks have prime position and they will just hand over pick #13-#16 and wait for the eagles to sweat on it and come back to accept the deal and there is no shopping around its the Hawks and nobody else as barrass wont go - simple

Forced to stay i can see Barrass having major back injuries . Issue's and not giving a flying F with the way he has been treated.

This will get done and Matty Clarke is not a DoDo and try to squeeze an extra 3rd rounder but if Hawks feel generous they may just throw it at them for good will or charity

Supporters will whine but will move on and love the kid that falls from pick #8 to pick #15 when all said and done

WC might have a few targets in mind and moving Barrass on will provide the currency plus change. Might be why this one could be done pretty early on as both clubs motivated to get it done before getting to work in other deals.

My only question mark is: I can't see how Hawthorn can involve both firsts in any way, if they have other dealings todo. Even with stuff coming back that could make it fair, you need at least one 1st Rd when in negotiations. On the flipside if it's Barrass and done why wouldn't they just drag it out for the best deal, which could work against the WC if they do have other deals.
No ? mark because it won’t be 2 1st’s as Hawks aren’t stoopid and WC aren’t stoopid (with Pyke in charge).

A 1st and 2nd is fairish and will get it done.

Last edited:
Until Harry Edwards signed, absolutely. Edwards was being courted by multiple teams. I get the impression that the Barrass deal was done before Edwards signed on.

Yeah I feel this was pretty clear. Edwards got the terms he wanted because WC knew they were 100% dealing Barrass.

No ? mark because it won’t be 2 1st’s as Hawks aren’t stoopid and WC aren’t stoopid (with Pyke in charge).

A 1st and 2nd is fairish and will get it done.

First and second at this stage does feel like the mid point. But even with that there’s so much to consider.

That first (currently 12) after finals could start at pick 11 or 18.

With battle compo, it could then move to 19. Then there’s the academies etc which doesn’t affect the live draft per se but from a points perspective pushes it out another 3-4 picks by that stage. Hawks “first rounder” this year could end up anything from 13 (Ashcroft and Leo basically 100% by then) to 23.

A similar thing will happen with any second pick, depending if it’s future or now. Both teams will value the second rounder in this draft higher, but you can certainly see how if it’s 23 and a F2, Wce would rightly laugh hawthorn out the door.

Ignoring the fact there are other suitors in WBD and Collingwood, WCE would just hold him to his contract at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Eagles supporters are delusional. While he is contracted , theres no chance he walks back into the club if a deal doesn't get done. Thankfully, both clubs have common sense and the deal should be pretty straight forward being our first this year, maybe a swap of later picks. So, Eagles supporters start practising your booooos for next season, it's the only thing that club is good at.

Last edited:
Pick 12 + future 2nd is basically going to be it. We might give F4th back or some crap so they got 3 picks next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back