Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 12 + future 2nd is basically going to be it. We might give F4th back or some crap so they got 3 picks next year
Context on this post which people often over look
A first is a ✅
Then a swap of our 2nd rdr ( pick 30-35 pending pick shuffled ) for say eagles 4th rdr ( 55-57 ) is not an unreasonable slide back in the draft .
Add to that the absorption of picks late 55-57 could easily become pick 48-50
The trade will be an easy one and a fair one

I'm finding it hard to get a sense of fair trade value from this thread (thought I suppose taking our views and the WCE supporters views and landing somewhere in the middle will be the best bet).

However can someone tell me how many contracted players aged 29 or over have been traded for a first round pick or better in recent years? It's highly likely Barrass will only have a couple of good seasons left. So I'm a bit cautious about us overpaying even if we have a good record recruiting older guys like Lake and Burgers in the past.
Probably bugger all because at that age decent players are usually settled and they just don’t get traded. From my club Fev and Gibbs would’ve been around that age. Beams probably similar.
All ended terribly

No, based on the above logic a fair compromise would be made and a first rounder would get the deal done.

Barrass has made it more than clear he wants to leave.

WCE needs picks to help accelerate their rebuild.

Barrass is a depreciating asset that doesn't offer a rebuilding club anything long-term, and would merely be holding the fort at best for a few years and could possibly even be blocking the path of an Edwards over that period.

There's no chance the club overpays for a 29 year old. Look at the price players of a similar age have gone for over the last several years.

Yep and they don't normally go for first round picks.

Context on this post which people often over look
A first is a ✅
Then a swap of our 2nd rdr ( pick 30-35 pending pick shuffled ) for say eagles 4th rdr ( 55-57 ) is not an unreasonable slide back in the draft .
Add to that the absorption of picks late 55-57 could easily become pick 48-50
The trade will be an easy one and a fair one
That all works and very acceptable

The issue arises if #12 becomes 18 for the eagles
what are their options

First and second at this stage does feel like the mid point. But even with that there’s so much to consider.

That first (currently 12) after finals could start at pick 11 or 18.

With battle compo, it could then move to 19. Then there’s the academies etc which doesn’t affect the live draft per se but from a points perspective pushes it out another 3-4 picks by that stage. Hawks “first rounder” this year could end up anything from 13 (Ashcroft and Leo basically 100% by then) to 23.

A similar thing will happen with any second pick, depending if it’s future or now. Both teams will value the second rounder in this draft higher, but you can certainly see how if it’s 23 and a F2, Wce would rightly laugh hawthorn out the door.

Ignoring the fact there are other suitors in WBD and Collingwood, WCE would just hold him to his contract at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The positive side it's a flat even draft pool sliding back a few picks within reason shouldn't have the same impact as some other years, you're not going to see any F2nd to move from 11 to 10 this draft.

Imo any trade should include Serong. Deep draft this year but you're better off not throwing all chips in draft night unless you're a team on a come down like tigers who have very little talent in the bottom agers. Eagles have the last 2 years of bottom age talent with Barnett, Reid, Ginbey, etc... They need to balance the age profile a bit. Serong comes in at 21yrs, Baker 27, Graham 26. Bonus is Pickett at 24.

What I think will happen:

Hawks out in an EF or SF = straight swap for their first rounder.

Hawks out in a PF = first round pick plus a swap of one of their second rounders for our third rounder.

Hawks make the GF (or win it) = first round pick plus one of their second rounders, preferably Collingwood's pick.

Gotta think that given Hawthorn has secured Battle that Barrass' importance and value to Hawthorn has been reduced. Hawthorn should make a fair offer early in the piece and walk away; leaving a WC desperate for trade picks to come to theire senses.
He is a contracted player for three more years. If a fair trade doesn't happen he will be a Eagle next year.

He is a contracted player for three more years. If a fair trade doesn't happen he will be a Eagle next year.
He will never wear the eagles jumper again , Has walked out on the club and gave a mouthful on the way out
the relationship is ded and there is no coming back and the eagles wont have him back
Its done and anything more than a 1st rounder is a bonus

I hope you guys get more but not looking likely but good luck

He will never wear the eagles jumper again , Has walked out on the club and gave a mouthful on the way out
the relationship is ded and there is no coming back and the eagles wont have him back

Any evidence to this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it your plan to be like this for the entirety of the trade period, or will you get bored?

So much fan-fiction from Hawks fans(and a certain Richmond poster) in here about Barrass' relationship with the club, lmao.

You're not getting him for a discount because you made up some weird fantasies in your head.

Is it your plan to be like this for the entirety of the trade period, or will you get bored?

I rest my case...

Many have said it will be done in good faith which I agree and hope for. That said we also need to play the game. We have Battle which is a better negotiating point for us. I don’t understand why our first doesn’t get it done as it stands pick 12 seems entirely reasonable. If we progress a minor future swap to balance that is fine. Something like f2 for eagles f3 for example. The deal gets done anyway and I expect we pay a bit more than that because Battle costs no draft capital and you view them holistically.

Understand why there’d be Eagles supporters still clinging to the idea that it can be patched up with Barrass if the trade offer isn’t quite good enough. Been there.

But he’s gone. He wants to go and the Eagles aren’t trying to keep him. They and the Hawks both know the Hawks just have to make a fair offer and the Eagles have to take it. It doesn’t have to be “overs” to prise him out.

The Eagles will argue something on top of 12 is fair and maybe the Hawks will agree and that’ll be that. Maybe the Hawks disagree and it gets dragged out. Either way, as long as 12 is offered he’s gone.

What I think will happen:

Hawks out in an EF or SF = straight swap for their first rounder.

Hawks out in a PF = first round pick plus a swap of one of their second rounders for our third rounder.

Hawks make the GF (or win it) = first round pick plus one of their second rounders, preferably Collingwood's pick.
And once again I have to say thank **** you are not on our negotiation team.

I think it will be pretty straightforward, both clubs seem to have the incentive to get the deal hashed out at least in principle so they can move onto other deals.

Might be done on day one, might be added to a bigger trade later on so clubs have access to more pieces. At least that's what makes sense to me.

I understand why WC fans have argued the case I remember feeling pretty pissed when we lost Titch for jack shit. But in the end it facilitated landing Weddle and the development of the Day/Newk/Worpel/Nash midfield combination.

You don't need to "Win" trades you just need the list build strategies to be good. Leave winning trades to the Dodoro's of the world.

So much fan-fiction from Hawks fans(and a certain Richmond poster) in here about Barrass' relationship with the club, lmao.

You're not getting him for a discount because you made up some weird fantasies in your head.

Because you are getting a 1st and still have a 2nd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back