Tom Boyd given leave for clinical depression

Remove this Banner Ad

Medication and counselling simultaneously is the most efficacious approach according to a wealth of research, however it's not perfect and it's not for everybody.

I have had my own issues with mental illness and was under extreme pressure to accept a pharmacological approach, which I repeatedly resisted. In hindsight it was the correct choice for me.

Everybody's different.

Me too Dannnnn.

Is your mum a Psychiatrist or a Psychologist?

Psychologists aren't allowed to administer medications, it's pretty much all vocal therapy they do, getting you to open up and stuff and come up with strategies in order to help improve your quality of life such as helping overcome your fears or help implementing good routine into your life. Psychiatrists can administer medications though to work along with that patients therapy/counselling. What you described sounds pretty interventional and what a Psychiatrist would do.

GPs can administer medications such as antidepressants though if their patients are in a bad way. Through my ordeal with my back issues I rejected antidepressants any time my GP brought it up, but when I was in severe pain/had bad sciatica I took antiinflammatories and strong pain relievers though, but once the inflammation/majority of pain came down I went off them as quick as I could.

I'm a strong believer in good routine, good health/diet/exercise and being around positive influences helps significantly with rehabilitation.
I would guess that a very small percentage of people with depression would actually see a phsyciatrist. Most would bendiagnosed by their GP and given medication and / or referal to a phsycoligist.

True a psychologist can not prescribe medication but they would have a pretty good understanding of pharmacutical treatment.

Medication and counselling simultaneously is the most efficacious approach according to a wealth of research, however it's not perfect and it's not for everybody.

I have had my own issues with mental illness and was under extreme pressure to accept a pharmacological approach, which I repeatedly resisted. In hindsight it was the correct choice for me.

Everybody's different.
Dan, when you say in hidsight, do you mean you should have accepted the medication earlier?

Dan, when you say in hidsight, do you mean you should have accepted the medication earlier?
Sorry, no - I mean that looking back, I made the right decision to try non-pharmacological intervention first. It may seem counter-intuitive, but the idea of medication actually heightened my own issues with anxiety. I was repeatedly told that medication was the best choice for me by a number of health professionals but at the end of the day I went with what I felt most comfortable with. The results I experienced without drugs were outstanding and I'm very glad in hindsight that I resisted.

Of course, as I was suggesting, this isn't the way forward for everybody. At the end of the day, though, while clinical trials tell us that the combination of some form of therapy and medication is most likely to be effective, you have to be comfortable with whatever action you take - and that's the most important part of it.

Sorry, no - I mean that looking back, I made the right decision to try non-pharmacological intervention first. It may seem counter-intuitive, but the idea of medication actually heightened my own issues with anxiety. I was repeatedly told that medication was the best choice for me by a number of health professionals but at the end of the day I went with what I felt most comfortable with. The results I experienced without drugs were outstanding and I'm very glad in hindsight that I resisted.

Of course, as I was suggesting, this isn't the way forward for everybody. At the end of the day, though, while clinical trials tell us that the combination of some form of therapy and medication is most likely to be effective, you have to be comfortable with whatever action you take - and that's the most important part of it.
Good outcome for you.

I went down the other path. I was on 3 different meds at one point. i then by choice turned my life upside down and followed a dream. Stopped the meds soon after and have had no need for them since.

I had a similar thing, I was having awful trouble sleeping due to my depression & anxiety and I adamantly refused sleeping medication because it just freaked me out even more.

Is your mum a Psychiatrist or a Psychologist?

Psychologists aren't allowed to administer medications, it's pretty much all vocal therapy they do, getting you to open up and stuff and come up with strategies in order to help improve your quality of life such as helping overcome your fears or help implementing good routine into your life. Psychiatrists can administer medications though to work along with that patients therapy/counselling. What you described sounds pretty interventional and what a Psychiatrist would do.

GPs can administer medications such as antidepressants though if their patients are in a bad way. Through my ordeal with my back issues I rejected antidepressants any time my GP brought it up, but when I was in severe pain/had bad sciatica I took antiinflammatories and strong pain relievers though, but once the inflammation/majority of pain came down I went off them as quick as I could.

I'm a strong believer in good routine, good health/diet/exercise and being around positive influences helps significantly with rehabilitation.

She's a Psychologist. I wasn't trying to big note or come across as a know-it-all but wanted to share, in a bit more detail, ways in which people deal with this. Yes you are right about who can and can't prescribe meds but it doesn't mean she is not an expert in the field - over 50 years experience she has seen it all.
I totally agree with you - my mental health is directly linked to how fit, healthy and active I am but everyone is different and meds are an option that can work. Personally I would be afraid that i would become addicted to them but that's just me. If I was in a really bad state then I'd rather the meds option than continue to be tortured by my own mind.

She's a Psychologist. I wasn't trying to big note or come across as a know-it-all but wanted to share, in a bit more detail, ways in which people deal with this. Yes you are right about who can and can't prescribe meds but it doesn't mean she is not an expert in the field - over 50 years experience she has seen it all.
Fair enough, everyone's practices are different I guess, different institutions etc, the bloke I see is in his 60s has 40 years exp himself.
I totally agree with you - my mental health is directly linked to how fit, healthy and active I am but everyone is different and meds are an option that can work. Personally I would be afraid that i would become addicted to them but that's just me. If I was in a really bad state then I'd rather the meds option than continue to be tortured by my own mind.
Yeah that was my biggest fear being addicted to whatever, took the painkillers/antiinflammatories for 3-4 months, but once some improvement was shown I jumped off them as quick as I could due to that addiction fear.

My dad suffers from depression..nearly ruined my whole family structure....
But we got through it. Lucky I guess ..its fk=÷%ng miserable..

Tommy get well ..you gave me more than I could have ever hoped for, in my deepest heart of hearts, I never thought we would win a flag let alone me being a part of grand of grand final week!..tommy the dream is a reality thanks to you.....

Standing room only ..in the opposite pocket ... third term your were grabbing mark after mark and Sydney could not clear the ball ..i knew we were home then.thank you tommmmy !!!!!!! Thank you ... they can bang the nails Into my coffin and I'll be happy thanks to you!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put this is another thread but I thought I would share my story
Never was diagnosed with "Depression or Anxiety but did really go through a real rough patch starting around September/October of 2015.

I could see it coming from at least 5-6 Months out but thought it was just something I would just get over as I have had similar episodes before (Clearly the Wrong Decision). I hit a wall the night after the Bulldogs BnF night and woke the next morning feeling the worst I had ever felt mentally (I didn't drink at that point in my life)

Life had stagnated since I left High School (No Job/No Motivation to Study and was just stuck) at that point 4 Years and Home, Social and Personal life all attributed to the "Down Fall". It was a fair assumption to make that the "Zest for Life" was not there or almost completely gone and the dark thoughts started not long after with "Would anyone care if I wasn't around anymore".

The best decision I made was going to a Counselor I was with him for a good 9-10 Months through '16, He basically acted as a sounding board that I could just vent about stuff that was going on to try and get to the root issues.

But no means am I completely out of the woods but I have certainly made significant progress like re-connecting and calling a truce with my old man after we had a falling out 10 Years prior, Dropping a 33kg and was getting to a point where I thought I could play footy again (Until a bum Achilles stopped me which I'm still working on), Commenced study in Screen and Media at RMIT University and loving it and just feeling good about myself and getting that confidence in yourself back.

I guess the moral of the story is: If you need help to get it, F**k whoever judges anyone going to getting themselves right. You should never feel ashamed to go and seek the help you need.

Never was diagnosed with "Depression or Anxiety but did really go through a real rough patch starting around September/October of 2015.

I could see it coming from at least 5-6 Months out but thought it was just something I would just get over as I have had similar episodes before (Clearly the Wrong Decision). I hit a wall the night after the Bulldogs BnF night and woke the next morning feeling the worst I had ever felt mentally (I didn't drink at that point in my life)

Life had stagnated since I left High School (No Job/No Motivation to Study and was just stuck) at that point 4 Years and Home, Social and Personal life all attributed to the "Down Fall". It was a fair assumption to make that the "Zest for Life" was not there or almost completely gone and the dark thoughts started not long after with "Would anyone care if I wasn't around anymore".

The best decision I made was going to a Counselor I was with him for a good 9-10 Months through '16, He basically acted as a sounding board that I could just vent about stuff that was going on to try and get to the root issues.

But no means am I completely out of the woods but I have certainly made significant progress like re-connecting and calling a truce with my old man after we had a falling out 10 Years prior, Dropping a 33kg and was getting to a point where I thought I could play footy again (Until a bum Achilles stopped me which I'm still working on), Commenced study in Screen and Media at RMIT University and loving it and just feeling good about myself and getting that confidence in yourself back.

I guess the moral of the story is: If you need help to get it, F**k whoever judges anyone going to getting themselves right. You should never feel ashamed to go and seek the help you need.
Great post, I think it's good to share stories like this so people in similar situations don't feel like they are alone.

I had a period like this when I was 16 (ten years ago) for about three months, lucky that's all it lasted and have fully recovered and haven't looked back.

Good stuff. Good luck with the Achilles to. Dog of an injury, finished off my footy... couldn't wen get a few enjoyable years in the 2s at the end. :(

Hi everyone thanks for sharing your stories, your openess and courage in shitty situations is inspiring :thumbsu:
I am fortunate to not have had direct personal experience, but I've worked in the area and seen its impact on people I care about.
Everytime I hear or read about someone sharing their story it reminds me how many people grapple with the scourge of mental illness and helps everyone (me included) to be a bit more compassionate.
#realstrength
love our handle this year!

Great post, I think it's good to share stories like this so people in similar situations don't feel like they are alone.

I had a period like this when I was 16 (ten years ago) for about three months, lucky that's all it lasted and have fully recovered and haven't looked back.
Thanks mate, Fully the intention to hopefully get people to look after themselves

Good stuff. Good luck with the Achilles to. Dog of an injury, finished off my footy... couldn't wen get a few enjoyable years in the 2s at the end. :(
Yeah it's a bastard, Working through it slowly

Mate, I've never been in your situation but I know a few who have. Talk to your family about it, don't isolate yourself and think you'll able to handle such a burden alone. Ask someone you trust to check in on you each day. Even though the world may seem like a cruel place, there's plenty of people with empathy, none more so than your own family.
This advice is excellent. Also combine it with professional help. It does go away. Don't suffer alone. Open up and you will get better.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

Everybody's different.
Speaking from experience also, think of the medication as if it were a pair of reading glasses. It helps you read. The medication helps you to minimize the negativity in your mind. Seeking professional help is imperative.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

Genuine question. The thread title refers to "clinical " depression. What does the "clinical" mean. Is it different from depression or is clinical depression the correct term and we just shorten it to depression?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Boyd given leave for clinical depression

Remove this Banner Ad

Back