Toast Tom Harley Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Quality player, quality captain and above all, a quality person. Thanks for all your dedicated work both on and off the ground. You bought joy and happiness to the long suffering faithful in many ways and most importantly you made us believe again.... Thanks Tommy .... you are a superstar!!!:thumbsu:

Top notch bloke/player/captain with a great pair of hands.
Saddened to see him go...
Congrats on a great career Tom... :thumbsu:

Fair dinkum if they dont name something after this bloke - a stand, a street, a public holiday I'll vomit. Thanks Tom Harley for leading the club and your career.

I quite like the idea of September 26 being Tom Harley Day each year. Especially if we get the day off work.

Isn't Tom still mayor of Geelong? He can make it happen!

Well done Tom!

Not really surprised to hear the news today, but a sad day anyway.

You can go out with your head held high. :thumbsu:

There is not much I can add really to what has already been said.

One of the more influential figures in our club's recent history and make no mistake he will leave a massive hole and it will be very interesting to see how it can be filled. Hearing Tom announce his retirement made me think of how important it is to enjoy the good times, as this is the first of quite a few momentous goodbyes we will be saying over the coming few years.

Thanks for everything Tommy. It has been a privelege to have enjoyed the spoils that you have helped bring to our club.

What more can we say. Great bloke, great player and awesome captain. The way Tom helped changed this team and club into the setup it is today has been fantastic and the envy of many. Best of luck to him. Think it's the right time to do it. I thank him for his commitment to the Cats and wish him all the best.

congratulations on a great career tom. commiserations to you boys on losing such a fantastic leader, held in the highest esteem by opposition supporters. courageous, humble, articulate and a real composed and quality individual. gave your club respect and credibilty and the ultimate professional. well done:thumbsu:

Well done to him on a great career. There was no point in him playing on next year. He's a dual premiership captain, whatever bonuses or extra incentives he would have got for playing 200 he will get anyway.
Not many players, let alone captains, get to enjoy a premiership as the perfect send off. And as he said in his press conference, he's had his fair share of injuries. It would have been pretty tough for him to get through another pre-season, and lead a side as good as geelong into another finals series.

He's obviously an incredibly well spoken guy, if he doesn't land a coaching role he'll have a long list of media gigs to choose from next year up in Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the king is dead. long live the king

dual premiership captain and the guy who finally broke the 'captains curse' at geelong by stringing together his two best seasons at the club while in the top job.

hopefully he's not lost to the club. he's an intelligent man and could definitely slot onto the board in the near future if nothining happens for him at west sydney

The decision to appoint Tom as captain at the end of 2006 was one of the best in the club's history. Without him we probably wouldn't have won a premiership, let alone two. Sure our players had plenty of talent but it was his leadership by example both on and off the field that helped bring out the best in our players. I am even more proud that under Tom's captaincy, Geelong has become respected as much for its conduct as its achievement.

Thank you Tom. You will forever be remembered as one of our greatest captains.

Congrats to Tom and all the best to him.:thumbsu:

A quality leader. An individual that deserves huge respect for the example he set.:thumbsu:

Thank you Tom for all that you have given to not just the club but to all of the supporters of the Cats and the wider community with your work through the Just Think promotion.
You have instilled into the club what it means to be a leader both on and off of the field.
All the best for the next phase of you life Tom

Fair dinkum if they dont name something after this bloke - a stand, a street, a public holiday I'll vomit. Thanks Tom Harley for leading the club and your career.

IMO, it would be only fitting if they renamed the Best Clubman Award the Tom Harley Award. :thumbsu:

HERO - plain and simple

Took over at a time many where questioning if we had any leaders and even any stars.....a few years on he is one of the most respected players in the game, loved by cats fans , led us to 2 premierships that seemed impossible and helped develop a ton a champions.- all whilst being so humble and respectful which has made me so proud to be geelong fan

Tom - you are a hero and will always be remembered by me as one of the great Geelong people.

Thanks for providing me with memories I though would never come - especially letting Bobby take a little of your glory in holding the premiership cup up...but thats just the bloke you are.:thumbsu:

I think we need another parade - just for tom - or a least let he go around and help unviel the flag next year. Agree with naming something after him - or getting all future captains to play in his number?

well done tom

awesome effort

this guy will not coach, but will be a football director, or ceo

ps he could be our best mature age rookie ever
-> plays his 2 games and provides requisite energy around the club

What more can I add that hasn't already been said so well previously.

He arrived when the club was on it's knees, he captained the club to football heaven, he rides off into the sunset with football immortality.

Thankyou Tom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Tom Harley Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back