Tom Hawkins 350 games - What is his standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

He's looked cooked at some stage of every season since about 2017. It's usually early in the season too that he can look that way.

I've written him off too many times to do it again
I never usually do and would still like to see him for another bunch of weeks. He seemed to be playing a decoy role today but was not strong when it did head his way. Anyway, there's a long way to go yet. You can't stop all of the Geelong forwards.

Tom Hawkins is 198cm tall when standing.

End thread

53rd time in his career that Tom Hawkins has gone goalless and the first time since 2019 that he has gone goalless 3 games in a row.

Is Tom carrying an injury?? Some sort of niggle?

Probably should have retired last year. But if he wants to keep playing he might be better served in the VFL teaching the younger players how to play forward and what NOT to do as a defender.

He looks to be nearly done.
Ironically, it was around this very same time back in 2011 when Cam Mooney looked to be finished and was hoping a young Tom (playing in the reserves) would force his way into the starting 22 before the finals kicked off.

Many hope Shannon Neale could do something similar.
Shannon Neale coming of age in a grand final this year?
I'm getting excited just thinking about it. :D

I never usually do and would still like to see him for another bunch of weeks. He seemed to be playing a decoy role today but was not strong when it did head his way. Anyway, there's a long way to go yet. You can't stop all of the Geelong forwards.
💯 He was a decoy today

53rd time in his career that Tom Hawkins has gone goalless and the first time since 2019 that he has gone goalless 3 games in a row.

Is Tom carrying an injury?? Some sort of niggle?

Goalless again (54th time in career), & the first time in his career that he has been goalless 4 games in a row. Carrying an injury? Old age catching up? Bit of both?? Out of form?

Is he a chance of heading back to the VFL to regain some form etc?

Goalless again (54th time in career), & the first time in his career that he has been goalless 4 games in a row. Carrying an injury? Old age catching up? Bit of both?? Out of form?

Is he a chance of heading back to the VFL to regain some form etc?

Don't worry, we'll get him back in some form. Will kick at least 4 against us

Father time comes for everyone in the end. Oddly enough for a lot of players the drop off is fairly slow, happens over a few seasons, which is what happened to Buddy actually, but for Hawkins the drop off seems to have happened fairly rapidly as his form is way down on his 2023 form.

Not a surprise though as he is almost 36 which is super old for an AFL player. He just can't do what he was able to do only a year or two ago.

Father time comes for everyone in the end. Oddly enough for a lot of players the drop off is fairly slow, happens over a few seasons, which is what happened to Buddy actually, but for Hawkins the drop off seems to have happened fairly rapidly as his form is way down on his 2023 form.

Not a surprise though as he is almost 36 which is super old for an AFL player. He just can't do what he was able to do only a year or two ago.

Happened to Jack Riewoldt too, his form dropped off although his final season (2023) he did kick 32 goals. Might be a similar output goals wise for Tom too which is still serviceable I reckon. We wait and see.

Happened to Jack Riewoldt too, his form dropped off although his final season (2023) he did kick 32 goals. Might be a similar output goals wise for Tom too which is still serviceable I reckon. We wait and see.
Did Jack Riewoldt ever have a stretch of 4 games goalless? i'll have to check but very surprised by this drop off from Hawkins.

EDIT: JR was goalless last year twice in a row but never 4x in row & that was probably one Jack's worse years but still serviceable like you said these guys are hard to replace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Jack Riewoldt ever have a stretch of 4 games goalless? i'll have to check but very surprised by this drop off from Hawkins.

EDIT: JR was goalless last year twice in a row but never 4x in row & that was probably one Jack's worse years but still serviceable like you said these guys are hard to replace.

Jack Riewoldt was goalless 4 games in a row once in his career - 2008

Jack was a bit younger than Tom when his drop off happened though. If Riewoldt did not retire and was playing in 2024 he likely would be getting similar results to what Hawkins is getting now.
I think Jack's played his best footy 2010-2018.

2019,2020-2023 he was still good & played but not his best but still played a role & was a great leader as 2nd fiddle to Lynch.

I feel like Hawkins has played his best latter in his career the opposite of Jack so, so this might be where he is vastly on the slide if it's happening now.

2019,2020-2023 he was still good & played but not his best but still played a role & was a great leader as 2nd fiddle to Lynch.

I feel like Hawkins has played his best latter in his career the opposite of Jack so, so this might be where he is vastly on the slide if it's happening now.

Would actually be interesting to see a goal distribution comparison between Hawkins and Riewoldt.

Riewoldt only played 13 games in 2019 too. He had that hand/wrist injury.

Jack was a bit younger than Tom when his drop off happened though. If Riewoldt did not retire and was playing in 2024 he likely would be getting similar results to what Hawkins is getting now.

Thanks.

So

2008 to 2011 - Riewoldt better
2012 to 2018 - The same
2019 to 2023 - Hawkins better

Yep, and again it makes the case so much more easier to define...very hard to split. Tom Hawkins so far has kicked 790 goals, Riewoldt kicked 787 goals, but Tom went past Jack by default, Tom has played 7 more games.

Again, very hard to split then, in my opinion of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Hawkins 350 games - What is his standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back