tom hawkins is the best key forward in the afl

Remove this Banner Ad

he is the best KPF right now. noone has said last year or of all time. this year. i know your still living in your prelim years of 97-98 and 08-10 but please come back to 2012
5 rounds in, jump the gun a little. By your logic Aaron Edwards is the 2nd best KPF in the game right now...:p

Buddy Franklin (2008) had the best individual season in AFL history. That is a fact.

Better than Peter Hudson? Tony Lockett? Jason Dunstall? Gary Ablett Snr? All the other members of the '1000 career goals' or 'Century in a Season' club?

Don't get me wrong, Buddy had a FANTASTIC 2008. Career-best season for him and your best forward by far since Piggy Dunstall was swilling at the goalsquare trough.

Best individual season of anyone of any era in AFL history? I'd be happy to be proven wrong, so how is it so?

Better than Peter Hudson? Tony Lockett? Jason Dunstall? Gary Ablett Snr? All the other members of the '1000 career goals' or 'Century in a Season' club?

Don't get me wrong, Buddy had a FANTASTIC 2008. Career-best season for him and your best forward by far since Piggy Dunstall was swilling at the goalsquare trough.

Best individual season of anyone of any era in AFL history? I'd be happy to be proven wrong, so how is it so?

I have passionately followed footy for 28 years, yep even when I was a baby my parents said I loved the sound of it on the tv.

In that time I cannot think of any better individual seasons that were better.

Help me out, let's try and get a top 5 from the last 20 years or so???

best player in 2008, 2008 only year that matters...

am i doing this right?

I have passionately followed footy for 28 years, yep even when I was a baby my parents said I loved the sound of it on the tv.

That doesn't make it a fact it makes it an opinion and you know what they say about those

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett Jnr - 2008
Ablett snr - 1993
Dunstall - 1992
Koutafides - 2000

off the top of my head, and also...

Franklin 2011

You would be a better judge of a contested mark than Champion Data...

p.s. your spelling as improved a little, but your punctuation is still about 4th grade standard.

lol not every contested mark is the same, your just playing with words, champion data is just going to define any contested mark as physical contact being present

there is a big difference between someone having his arm tapped lightly and someone jumping over the top of a pack

chris scott summed up lance franklin perfectly last year, he talked about how franklin uses his height to his advantage really well against opponents and that it was his biggest strength, what we did to stuff him up was put franklin on him and he struggled to take marks on him, he had to start throwing himself and diving for frees instead

franklin doesnt take true strong contested marks, the only marks which franklin takes which would be classified as contested are marks where he runs back with the flight of the ball and hyperextends with a little extra reach, he is incapable of splitting a pack and holding a strong grab like hawkins does

Well, it is a pretty good argument 6 goals for a key forward in monsoon on paper looks amazing, but in reality what I saw Hawk was just very lucky (I did give him credit for a good grab in the wet from one of his goals)

You really haven't improved on BF... Failed at picking a username... and failing at posting

every time i read posts like this from a hawthorn supporter i cant help but laugh a little, i doubt there is a bigger cherry picker then lance franklin out there

Last I heard, Franklin was a half forward flanker, so don't quite get the comparison :confused:

Must agree that Hawkins is currently the best KPF in the game.

Thus, Rance is currently the best KPD :thumbsu:

still their number one go to forward, going back to what chris scott said about franklins number one assett being the way he uses his height advantage, he is going to struggle to play deep inside 50 leading out because teams now get too many numbers back so he wont be able to use his height advantage playing deep and leading up anymore, and he cant take a pack mark against several opponents like a hawkins can, so what they do is push him up the ground then double him back and kick to a position where he can utilize his extra height and hyperextend for a easy grab making the most of his strength

the reality is if you used lance as a stay at home 4wd 50 he would struggle badly these days, he needs to be doubling back into the 50 against his defender with the flight of the ball to utilize his height and positioning ability to have any chance in the modern defensive game

we should make a youtube video called the best of the 6ft6 cherry picker, the highlight reel would be pushing 20 minutes of footage of goals kicked over the back uncontested, cherry picking at its best

The absolute greatest players of all time each share a very unique and profound trait.

What I am talking about is surges in their careers, which can last 4 or 5 games over a finals series, periods of seasons or whole seasons themselves.

In these times absolute champions of the game surge to unfathomable heights and ultimately lead their teams into ferocious Grand Final assaults, and inevitably many premierships.

These same players create other effects that can be witnessed in up and coming teams in history. Have a look at the self belief born in teams like the Kangaroos when Carey hit the scene, Geelong when Ablett went to the midfield, Judd at the Eagles or when Buddy arrived at the Hawks.

It is no coincidence all these teams went on to win premierships in this time.

Buddy Franklin had the best individual season in AFL history. That is a fact. I am not sure any of us will ever see a player play 25 odd games like we saw, and is the real reason Hawthorn won a premiership against one of the greatest teams of all time, when no one thought we had a chance.

But back to my point, the games greats surge in their form and hit those kinds of magical heights maybe two or three times in their careers, which more often than not, happens when it counts most.

To suggest that Hawkins is in this league, or even worse in the league of Buddy Franklin, is insulting to not only Buddy, but to all of the games greats.

I have always liked Hawkins, and often wondered why he was criticised so much by Geelong fans. He is a great player who has just played 5 or 6 really good games. At best though he will be remembered in the Stewart Lowe mould, or maybe and it is a big maybe, a Scott Lucas.

Buddy Franklin is a once in a generation player who inspired Hawthorn to a premiership against one of the most formidable opponents there could be.

We have only seen one chapter of a trilogy. Stay tuned and stop this ridiculous comparison with a good, even very good player in Hawkins.

I still get goosebumps remembering round 4, round 5, round 7, round 20 of 2008. It did not matter. Buddy was unbelievable and somehow we just knew he would lead us to a premiership.

Hawkins, please.

Franklin isnt a champion of the game, he had one very good year in 08 but that is about it, too many flaws in his game which opposition now have worked out and are better at exposing him and playing against him, is a very poor mark over his head and physically has no presence in the air, lacks the strength to move or dismantle defenders near him, like chris scott said, his main assett is that he uses his extra height and reach to his advantage very well, when this doesnt go his way he struggles like against lonergan

how many last quarter goals has franklin kicked in tight matches against geelong against lonergan? hardly gets a touch let alone a goal, you talk about champion status, players like carey ablett locket dunstal would have in those 8 close tight games hawthorn lost stepped up and lavished the spotlight and delivered, franklin wasnt good enough

like i said previously he isnt in a elite bracket, more so just a good player now, a 50-75 maybe 80 goal kicker from now on, doesnt have the ability and is lacking in too many key areas to ever become a great of the game

hawkins is the complete key forward package, strong high leaping and fantastic hands, hawkins will only continue to get better then franklin and soon become globally the out and out number one key forward of the competition

like i said previously he isnt in a elite bracket, more so just a good player now, a 50-75 maybe 80 goal kicker from now on, doesnt have the ability and is lacking in too many key areas to ever become a great of the game
Franklin 25- 492 goals
Hawkins 24- 125 goals

Franklin has a great chance of becoming a great.Say if Franklin averages just 60 goals a season for say another 8 years. His kicked 972 goals give or take which would put him at 6 on the all time leaders. But as you said he is probably more 60-80 goal kicker so bump that up by 80 and he is up around 1052. Which would put him above Gary Ablett and just below Doug Wade. That in my mind has him as a great of the game, even at mid 900's you could argue a case for 'great' status.

Hawkins is at most a 50-70 goal kicker. So I will give him 70 goals a season for the next 9 years gives him a total of 685 give or take. No where near being a great. A great Geelong player maybe. League wide great no chance.

I heard Tubby Porkins snagged 6 sausage rolls against a shitty bottom 8 side today... onya Tubster!

Yeah I reckon this bloke is a real inspiration to fat bastards everywhere. Living proof you can be a fat piece of shit and still play footy with the best!

So when does Porkins guest star on The Biggest Loser?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back