Tom Hislop - Rookie Draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 15, 2006
Oz
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando Magic, Baltimore Ravens
I have another option for you all for a rookie draftee.

Tom Hislop. Pick 20 in the 2006 draft for Essendon has been delisted.

Is a tough in and under midfielder like we need and I'd be happy to see him on our rookie list to give him another shot

Was suspended at the start of the year for missing training after a boozy night, had a tough run with injuries but always played pretty well with Bendigo. Played a few games with Essendon from memory that were servicable.

From Burgan's 2006 phantom draft . . .

12 - MELBOURNE - TOM HISLOP
Tassie Mariners, 7 June 1988, 184.4cm, 85.9kg
Should a 'slider' fall through, Melbourne's first selection could be a fascinating outcome, yet the Demons are believed to be considering hard-at-it Taswegian Tom Hislop and Queenslander Ricky Petterd with its first selection, while key Victorian talls James Frawley and Ben Reid are also in the mix. Krakouer may also be considered with Melbourne's opening choice. Renouf will also be in Melbourne's thoughts. Hislop is likely to be a sought-after prospect from 10 to 15. His hardness and attack on the ball would compliment the likes of recent draftees Brock McLean and Colin Sylvia. Should Hislop pass Melbourne, expect him to figure in Richmond's plans the following pick and also Sydney's at No.15. Highlights/achievements: Robust and powerful player who is strong overhead and a prolific ball winner. All-Australian at U18 level this year averaging 20 disposals and ranking number one for tackles. Has an excellent speed and endurance combination being sub 3.00sec for 20m and mid level 14 for the Beep Test. AIS/AFL Academy graduate.

Anyway worth consideration for the rookie draft I'd say as he still has time to become a good player. Thoughts?

Must be something else to it ... you mention he was suspended for missing training after a night on the slops, maybe perceived to be a player of 'questionable character' is why the bummers are showing him the door? Going for a no ********s policy ala Sydney perhaps?

other than that I have no real opinion on his ability as a footballer, hardly seen him play

I'd say attitude must have a bit to do with it for him to be cut but it wouldn't hurt to have a look at him for a rookie.

Going for a no ********s policy ala Sydney perhaps?

Unless you're in the top 5 players, then you can do what you want.

I think it could be worth a shot!
Is there anyone else that we know nominating for the PSD?
I reckon Davenport from Geelong would be a great get!

I would extend an invitation to training for the 4-6 weeks prior to the rookie draft and see how he goes. If the effort is there then if he is available with one of the rookie picks we'll have then sign him up. We seem to have a thing for troubled kids after we picked up Collard and his supposed attitude problems.

I would extend an invitation to training for the 4-6 weeks prior to the rookie draft and see how he goes. If the effort is there then if he is available with one of the rookie picks we'll have then sign him up. We seem to have a thing for troubled kids after we picked up Collard and his supposed attitude problems.
We didn't go for Buddy and his supposed attitude problems. Not trying to stir anything up, just saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't be stupid GTF, we don't need to. Obviously every player ever to be delisted is a pathetic footballer and has no chance of ever making it elsewhere.

duracell_batteries_set.jpg

For your sarcasm detector. They'll last up to three time as long as Eveready Super Heavy Duty.

We would be better served going after Davenport. If you follow the Burgers closely he towelled us on both occasions. Would be a ready made and at a good age.

We would be better served going after Davenport. If you follow the Burgers closely he towelled us on both occasions. Would be a ready made and at a good age.

Cameron Howat and Greg Tivendale towelled many teams this year playing for Coburg but that doesnt mean that they made good AFL players this year or would be next. Davenport is a workman-like gun VFL player. I cant see him going much further than that.

Remember him being highly rated - and many here was keen as mustard to get him

still young - tough - wouldn't have a problem if he was looked at.

Cameron Howat and Greg Tivendale towelled many teams this year playing for Coburg but that doesnt mean that they made good AFL players this year or would be next. Davenport is a workman-like gun VFL player. I cant see him going much further than that.

fairly decent age difference between those two blokes and Tom though

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Hislop - Rookie Draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back