Tom Jonas (Past Player)

Remove this Banner Ad

What was it Warren said? Effectively that supporters are tired of the club over-promising and under-delivering.

They're promising a response. Like the one that should have come after the Collingwood debacle?

Another line in the sand moment.

It has been said that the assistant coaches told Donuts Jonas is not best 22. I has also been said he was not voted in by the players but Hinkley overruled them all. Jonas started the 'white noise' with those exact comments years ago. The other comment is subjective.
that makes sense now, i had heard a rumour from a very reliable source that he wouldn't be captain and strangely a few days later he was appointed so maybe Hinkley did over rule.

What was it Warren said? Effectively that supporters are tired of the club over-promising and under-delivering.

They're promising a response. Like the one that should have come after the Collingwood debacle?

I don’t know why they just don’t keep their mouths shut.
After the debacle of the 2021 home preliminary final (up there with the 76 Grand Final as far as disappointing losses) the next home game (the Russell Ebert tribute game) they meekly surrender by 66 points to a mob of kids from Hawthorn.
Here we are 12 months on same issues same coach same players like nothing happened.

FFS Tom, you had a chance to own your shit form and the club's shit form but instead you decided to go defensive. This is the culture Ken has created.

The time to defend is on field not off field Tom.

Could've easily got the fans off your back for a little bit if you acknowledged that you are playing shocking football and be genuinely sorry about that. No one is expecting you to be BOG each week, just start with not being awful, baby steps.

I loved what Tom brought to the team when he first joined the club, what he lacked in skills he sure made up with his uncompromising toughness, one-on-one shut down ability, good mark for his size, excellent repeat efforts, & tackling ability, but those days unfortunately are well passed him & there is no shame in acknowledging that.

What is shameful, is living in denial & blaming external factors for the cause of your own deficiencies. Obviously Ken is to stupid or stubborn to have had this conversation with Tom so a lot of this mess sits squarely with him.

The odds of Tom stepping down the same day Ken becomes a full time greyhound walker is a very likely scenario.

I have to agree with the sentiment surrounding Jonas he is consitently useless and has no impact whatsoever on the game.
The rumors that hinkley over ruled on his captaincy decision makes sense because jinkly on coaching matters is an absolute nobody.

Remember when we laughed at Trent Cotchin's interview after the 2014 EF?

How silly do we look now.

It's the Kenny way - motivation for results... it never lasts. Reminds me of the video of him all those years ago yelling at the kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So hard to put ya hand up and go yeah I've been shit. I need to do better. I will do better. The club and supporters expect more from me as a leader of this club. I've let them down.

How is this guy captain? Personality of a wet wipe, he just comes across as an arrogant idiot.

His poor start to the season gets imo fairly criticised by Kane Cornes, but he doesn’t have either the humility of self-awareness to recognise it and instead just takes a swipe at Kane saying he’s never led a football club. Well guess what Tom, neither have you.

Then he follows that up with “I’d love to be getting best on ground every week but the important thing is we’re winning games and I’m helping the team get better”.

Wtf? This is our captain? We’re not winning games and we’re not getting better. Instead of reflecting on his and the teams poor start to the season he again just goes on the defensive and ends up saying something that doesn’t even make sense, and he’s supposed to be the inspirational leader of the football club?

There is enough evidence now to say this is the most mentally weak playing group we’ve had in the AFL and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that’s he’s the captain of it.

Honestly, this bloke is the worst captain in our history and the day he‘s not will be a day of celebration.

HoarseGrizzledEyas-max-1mb.gif

star-wars-dont.gif

It has been said that the assistant coaches told Donuts Jonas is not best 22. I has also been said he was not voted in by the players but Hinkley overruled them all. Jonas started the 'white noise' with those exact comments years ago. The other comment is subjective.
One question. Who is the said?

Alright steady on.

That was a bad interview and I am sure Jonas would wish he had said things differently.

And he looks closer to the end of his career than the start.

• ease up on the personal criticism
  • he is a very smart and competitive guy
  • the players chose him, not Hinkley

This style is emblematic of the ‘Ted Lasso’ style of coaching. Creating better people and allowing/supporting them to fulfil their potential. Ross Lyon discussed this, Craig McRae has the nickname ‘Lasso’. Like it or not, this is the new and consistent mantra of modern day coaching.

More broadly the club has had an interesting response to criticism. Boak was supposedly unhappy with Kochie’s criticism several years back. The club fired up massively after the sack Hinkley sticker. Kochie last year back pedalled after his ‘improve or else’ statement. Question has to be asked, why? Is it just a public face thing? Are the staff and players fragile? Is it easier to do your job and a happy place without the criticism?

I think you can be ‘Ted Lasso’ and take responsibility for results and outcomes and be ruthless.
Difference is i like Ted Lasso

I loved what Tom brought to the team when he first joined the club, what he lacked in skills he sure made up with his uncompromising toughness, one-on-one shut down ability, good mark for his size, excellent repeat efforts, & tackling ability, but those days unfortunately are well passed him & there is no shame in acknowledging that.

What is shameful, is living in denial & blaming external factors for the cause of your own deficiencies. Obviously Ken is to stupid or stubborn to have had this conversation with Tom so a lot of this mess sits squarely with him.

The odds of Tom stepping down the same day Ken becomes a full time greyhound walker is a very likely scenario.
The guys that potted Cornes in that interview because Kane has never "lead a club" isn't stepping down.

Kane's Resume- 300 Games, 4 BnF (10 top 3 finishes), 2 AA & a Premiership.

I wont deny how good he was at his best but Jonas wont play 300 games, he won't win a BnF, he won't earn an AA selection and wont win a premiership and if we are being totally honest, if Wines hadn't done his shoulder wakeboarding the same off season we changed captain Jonas wouldn't have been named captain either.

The arrogance for TJ to have a dig at Cornes is ridiculous and certainly isn't some on he should be having a go at.

Wow - horrific response by Jonas. I can't help but pair this sort of response as well with Charlie Dixon's criticism of Port fans last year; it exemplifies that some of these players really are completely out of touch with the sentiment of the fanbase.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Jonas (Past Player)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back