Traded Tom Mitchell - Traded to Collingwood as part of 3-way trade (details tbc)

Remove this Banner Ad

The whole ‘paying a portion of the wage’ to get a first round pick is a misnomer IMO. Reality is Mitchell has a contract with one year remaining. So as I see it, there a three options for team potentially trading for Mitchell:

1. A team trades for him knowing it’ll only be for a year (unlikely you’d assume). If so, no one is giving a high pick for a one year rental.

2. A team trades for him knowing that it’ll have negotiate an extension/ new contract through the year (also unlikely you’d assume). If so, no one is giving a high pick for him with such risk attached.

3. A team trades for Mitchell with an extension agreement in place (overwhelming likelihood). If so, the team can spread the impact of his final year of the current contract over the additional years of the extension so the financial hit year 1 isn’t as bad. This would mean that the incentive to give up a high pick in the scenario that Hawks pay a hefty part of his wage is diluted.

I also don’t think that there will be a competitive market at all. Teams either don’t need him (Melbourne, Sydney, Geelong) or have other options ahead of him you’d say (Geelong, Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood). Can’t see a team bidding against themselves to give up a high pick if they’re the only team that want his services.
He's already worth an early 2nd, borderline early first, to make that 100% worth it for a club paying a wage would suit, especially a team like Collingwood.

But also if it's not wage, it could always be sending back or shuffling of late picks.

Wonder if Mitchell is happy to leave Victoria, the Crows could use someone in their guts for a few years whilst they develop their next generation of mids/engine room ?
Likely doesn't go outside of VIC and likely doesn't go to a club not contending. Makes trading him harder.

Would be a good move for all parties IMO.

Hawthorn can start to build their midfield around the youngsters. Mitchell was forced out of the middle for this year and is wasted playing on a flank with reduced CBAs. He is a get see ball get ball player and in the right team can be very effective.

Mitchell can get back to his best role and hopefully find a longer term deal and hopefully silverware.

Hawthorn can hopefully nab another top 30 pick. I think fair value would be late first (with likely something going back) or 25-30 on it's own would be about right.
Yep, Newk was often getting almost two thirds more CBA’s than Tom, so the writing was on the wall for him under Sam when Ward and Moore will get more time again in 2023.

He’d be a good get for a side that wants a pure ball winner at the coalface who can feed it out. There’s a direct correlation with Tom’s impact on games being diminished and how good we are of outside run.

View attachment 1495675

Phwoar Dom already on a post every 6.5 minutes. Elite.
Beavis And Butthead Flex GIF

Yep, Newk was often getting almost two thirds more CBA’s than Tom, so the writing was on the wall for him under Sam when Ward and Moore will get more time again in 2023.

He’d be a good get for a side that wants a pure ball winner at the coalface who can feed it out. There’s a direct correlation with Tom’s impact on games being diminished and how good we are of outside run.
I think the whole diminished topic is a weird one, by the pure impact numbers, he's around the same for score involvements as 2018 despite getting significantly less ball, and his contested possession rate % is the same (which is how many of his disposals are contested in a %.)

Though with a pure midfield role and in a team with better outside midfielders, he'd only get back to his best and it'd likely be a win win whichever way you look at it, he won't get that here and we get a draft pick for our future.

Mitchell pre-leg break had a prime Smith and Henderson to feed the ball to, with Impey and Burton pushing up from half back.

Pacey good users which we currently lack on the outside.

Put him in a team with speed and skill on the outside and he will shine.

Mitchell pre-leg break had a prime Smith and Henderson to feed the ball to, with Impey and Burton pushing up from half back.

Pacey good users which we currently lack on the outside.

Put him in a team with speed and skill on the outside and he will shine.
Smith wasn't in his prime in 2018, but he was still good, Henderson was very good and Impey/Burton/Sicily etc all pushing from HB.

It sounds abit like Collingwood now, they've got so much class and run on the wings and half back, Mitchell is a no brainer to feed them.

He's already worth an early 2nd, borderline early first, to make that 100% worth it for a club paying a wage would suit, especially a team like Collingwood.

But also if it's not wage, it could always be sending back or shuffling of late picks.

I’m not sure that he’s worth an early second rounder personally, but that’s not the issue.

We are talking about first round picks, which have become more and more like gold recently.

You could pay a % of his wage, but is any team going to do that to give up its best draft asset when it can just massage out a portion of the remaining contract over an extension?

I highly doubt it.
So no it'll be more than a third, and no Geelong wouldn't want him too badly, they seem pretty well off for depth especially experienced midfielders.

Richmond/Collingwood are the main two.

Richmond are in the box seat for Taranto. If they get him (seems more likely than unlikely at this stage) it will cost a first rounder at least and make any move for Mitchell superfluous (very confident that they aren’t interested anyway).

Collingwood may be the one, but I’d be stunned if he isn’t their sixth or seventh priority this off-season. But even if they are interested, they’re likely the only team that will be interested. Why would give up a first round pick if there is no market for Mitchell?

If the Hawks want a pick say before 30, I suspect that he will be still at the club next season.

I’m not sure that he’s worth an early second rounder personally, but that’s not the issue.

We are talking about first round picks, which have become more and more like gold recently.

You could pay a % of his wage, but is any team going to do that to give up its best draft asset when it can just massage out a portion of the remaining contract over an extension?

I highly doubt it.

Richmond are in the box seat for Taranto. If they get him (seems more likely than unlikely at this stage) it will cost a first rounder at least and make any move for Mitchell superfluous (very confident that they aren’t interested anyway).

Collingwood may be the one, but I’d be stunned if he isn’t their sixth or seventh priority this off-season. But even if they are interested, they’re likely the only team that will be interested. Why would give up a first round pick if there is no market for Mitchell?

If the Hawks want a pick say before 30, I suspect that he will be still at the club next season.
Richmond and Collingwood fighting for Taranto with the other getting Mitchell is the likely outcome imo.

Which probably ends up with Richmond getting Taranto and Collingwood getting Mitchell.

Collingwood don't have a 2nd round pick this year, so it could be a future 2nd however they'll be good so i doubt we take the risk.

Depends on what they get for Grundy if he's traded, so i can see this one going to the wire on trade deadline.

And we will 100% want a pick before 30, Collingwood seem the biggest suitor atm, and it's a no brainer for them.

We likely offer wage, but we could also exchange late picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’ll find that the large majority of Hawks fans don’t expect one.

There is one particularly prolific poster where Tom is concerned who will fill this thread day and night with reasons as to why everyone else is wrong.
Probably still amazed we didn't get anything for James Cousins last year

Smith wasn't in his prime in 2018, but he was still good, Henderson was very good and Impey/Burton/Sicily etc all pushing from HB.

It sounds abit like Collingwood now, they've got so much class and run on the wings and half back, Mitchell is a no brainer to feed them.
You must have forgotten that Smith finished 3rd in the PCM in 2018. His highest finish.

Averaged 22-23 (?) touches and a goal a game. Was one of the most damaging pure wingmen in the game. Was stiff not to make the AA squad.

He absolutely was in his prime.

You must have forgotten that Smith finished 3rd in the PCM in 2018. His highest finish.

Averaged 22-23 touches and a goal a game. Was one of the most damaging pure wingmen in the game. Was stiff not to make the AA squad.

He absolutely was in his prime.
Maybe a short memory, i always remembered him being good and finishing high in the PCM (though i was surprised both Gunston/Breust weren't higher).

He was good even very good, i do believe physically not in his prime, but he probably only got better in terms of his ball use and class, as he was a bit erratic earlier in his career.

But yeah, wow.

I highly doubt it.

Correct…Taranto over Mitchell is a no brainer and they also have a gun kid coming through in Tyler sonsie. He looks like he’s already played 100 games.

Collingwood would be the best fit. Taylor Adams is a very good inside mid but he’s body lets him down. Collingwood’s midfield unit is average. Tom playing his best role is a great fit for them…feeding the ball to the likes of Nick and josh daicos and degoey and crisp would improve their midfield massively.

We are in desperate need of a small-mid forward. I’d be targeting Ollie Henry. Perfect fit for us, especially if one of if not both Gunston and Breust depart. Henry also plays tall. Perfect fit.

Mitchell and future 3rd for pick 41 and Henry??

"It was clear that i loved Cousins as a meme"

Well clear if you pay attention.

:)) (Cousins is elite xx)
The jokes on you mate.

No amount of backtracking after the fact will have people think you were kidding when you argue incessantly page after page that someone is elite.

Cousins was a crab that we delisted, and you thought he was a star that just needed opportunity.

The jokes on you mate.

No amount of backtracking after the fact will have people think you were kidding when you argue incessantly page after page that someone is elite.

Cousins was a crab that we delisted, and you thought he was a star that just needed opportunity.
Maybe old people just don't understand the joke.

And it wasn't "someone" it was KING COUSINS. /s

Anyway, not the thread however it was quite clear it was a joke, or atleast now, he was someone who was always going to be okay depth but even then he had too many deficiencies to make up for and he never had clear strengths outside of his effort.

Love you anyway SYL x

Correct…Taranto over Mitchell is a no brainer and they also have a gun kid coming through in Tyler sonsie. He looks like he’s already played 100 games.

Collingwood would be the best fit. Taylor Adams is a very good inside mid but he’s body lets him down. Collingwood’s midfield unit is average. Tom playing his best role is a great fit for them…feeding the ball to the likes of Nick and josh daicos and degoey and crisp would improve their midfield massively.

We are in desperate need of a small-mid forward. I’d be targeting Ollie Henry. Perfect fit for us, especially if one of if not both Gunston and Breust depart. Henry also plays tall. Perfect fit.

Mitchell and future 3rd for pick 41 and Henry??
Adams is a very good inside mid? He's literally an Aldi version of Jaeger.

Yep…a lot of our supporters are going to get a rude shock when we end up getting pick 25-35 for him. Many of them still think he’s worth pick 15-25…more chance of us finishing top 2 next season.

He had a average season, not all his fault as he was played out of position. Take pick 30ish and move on.

Oh well Hawthorn had his best years and he won a brownlow under King Clarko!

With Hopper and Taranto looking likely to shift to Geelong and Richmond, it leaves options to trade him to a Victorian club pretty bare.

Bulldogs and Melbourne are loaded in the midfield. Carlton are also ok, but would have a very slow midfield group if he joined them. Can’t see that happening. Essendon surely will go the youth path. North as well. Saints have history trading for the now, they could be a smoky. But I think they may opt for another Crouch instead. So for Tom that only leaves Collingwood. Not even sure the media speculation that they are keen is spot on.

It’s a buyers market for Mitchell and some Hawks supporters here may be disappointed about what they get for him if he does leave.

You were the first team mentioned who is looking at him, you've already looked at mids for this off season and you have a clear weak point for inside mids.

Absolute no brainer that you'd be keen on him.
With all due respect to Mitchell, but just because we have a need for an inside mid, doesn’t mean we’re going out and trying to recruit every single one.

Or that we’re going to just throw our first rounder at a 29-30 year old past his prime.

In an ideal market where Hawks are contending, and he’s a big part of that with other clubs trying to poach, you’d definitely get a first rounder, but in this instance, you’re not, and he’s the one who’s requesting the trade, so the value drops and I don’t think Hawthorn really minds considering their premiership clock.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Tom Mitchell - Traded to Collingwood as part of 3-way trade (details tbc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back