Player Watch Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

We play a low possession style. His numbers will drop.
No they won't, you're not telling a bloke to stop finding the ball.

He'll probably win you half of his possessions in contested footy alone (15 ish) and probably averages 30+, purely because he'll link up the running game from HB aswell, he'll work his ass off both ways and he'll find a way to get the ball, he always does.

Your gameplan is super direct, but he'll bring in a new dynamic to the gameplan, not just winning it back and rebounding which was a fair amount of it in 2022, you'll start with the ball, alot in 2023.

I am super keen to see how you lads go in '23.

I'm inclined to the view that it was Fly and the changes he has wrought at Collingwood that attracted Tom and also inclined to think he won't be the last.
Yes I think you are right there as Bobby Hill and Frampton both mentioned the coach and coaching team as a major factor in choosing to come to us. I remember (vaguely, which is the only way I can remember nowadays) being surprised when Sydney let Tom go and never had the feeling that the Hawks really valued him either. I feel that Fly, the club generally and his team mates will really support him and I think he will flourish with a greater sense of belonging with us. Not forgetting the army either. Just a feeling of course but I think he’ll love being a Pie.

Our change of coaches and game plan is bringing players to our club. No way in hell Mitchell comes to us with Buckley and Eddie here. Slow boring game plan and a Prez who was just as bad as Jeff.

If only we made a change after 2017, not continue with the mates club.

Anyway a big welcome to Tom at least next season we won’t have the discussion on whether we tag him when we play the Hawks.

Love this pick up. Seeing as Adams is constantly injured we needed another inside bull to do the grunt work.

What's the make up of our midfield now that he's in though? Personally I'd like to free up Pendles to almost permanent halfback now. Does Sidey potentially get squeezed out if the Daicos boys and Lipinski play more wing/mid? Good headaches to have though.

Brownlow medalist, two time All Australian, won his third best and fairest award in 2021, was still Hawthorns leading possession winner this season.

He might not be a direct ruck replacement for Grundy but it's hard to argue he hasn't been operating closer to his peak output than Brodie in recent seasons.

Welcome Tom.

Now win us a clearance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m so excited to join the Magpie army and be a part of something special. I don’t think there is a club in the league I would consider myself more fortunate to join with the most passionate and loyal fans.

I consider myself incredibly grateful to be a small part of the journey this great club is on.

Thank you everyone for the kind messages and I am looking forward to this next chapter.

See you in 2023 ⚪⚫⚪⚫⚪⚫

Nice 👍

I said in another thread and I repeat it here….

I see a lot of similarities to 2010 here. We were desperate for some inside grunt after over relying on Obree for too long and picked up ball.

Now we have Mitchell coming in to give Adams a chop out.

And we basically got him for “ free”….. or at least as a sweetener to improve on pick 25 that we were offered by Geelong for Henry.

I assume by the positive feedback from Hawks supporters that he’s most likely a good trainer as well.
Him coupled with Taylor will hopefully push blokes like Arlo, Carmy and Reef to higher standards too.

I said in another thread and I repeat it here….

I see a lot of similarities to 2010 here. We were desperate for some inside grunt after over relying on Obree for too long and picked up ball.

Now we have Mitchell coming in to give Adams a chop out.

And we basically got him for “ free”….. or at least as a sweetener to improve on pick 25 that we were offered by Geelong for Henry.
Ball was huge, but Jolly was a bigger key to 2010. Pretty funny though that back in 2009 we’d chop our nuts off for a ruckman of Grundy’s quality

Ball was huge, but Jolly was a bigger key to 2010. Pretty funny though that back in 2009 we’d chop our nuts off for a ruckman of Grundy’s quality
Jolly had a great on field impact but over the journey Luke proved the vastly superior clubman and person.

Jolly's tantrum very much soured him to me.

Cameron or cox would have done the job Jolly did. We also have four or five Leigh Brown options ( Kreuger top of that list) should we go down that path.

I’m not concerned that we will struggle without Grundy.

I was more concerned that we will struggle without Adams. That concern has abated wit h Mitchell joining us.

Can't believe so many of your mob weren't keen on the idea for Mitchell.

He is exactly what you need. Just needs to shovel the ball to the Daicos boys 30 times a game and you're set.
Yep, he's exactly the player we need. Especially with Tadams run of injuries.

Great acquisition for Collingwood. Rather than relying on Taylor Adams to be fit and available to win clearances, we now have Mitchell with Adams as a bonus.
Also gives Finn Macrae time to develop without needing to throw him in the deep end before he's ready.

Geelong has 1 superstar, the tigers had 1 only during their run, the rest of them are all role players. We have a great chance to go further next year, I think we'll see a much more aggressive in your face Magpies, all those big guys, with Hill providing speed and hopefully a bit of villianary. The Pies certainly won't be everyone second favorite team.

Geelong has a few more than 1 if you’re being fair. Danger might not be what he was but he lit it up in the finals. Hawkins is undoubtedly. He is one of the least selfish forwards you’ll find. He has a great goal to goal assist ratio. Cameron, well he’s prob the one you were mentioning.

Can't believe so many of your mob weren't keen on the idea for Mitchell.

He is exactly what you need. Just needs to shovel the ball to the Daicos boys 30 times a game and you're set.

Wat?

Don't lump me in with the rest of the plebs

As soon as the rumours started swirling that Mitchell wanted out, I've wanted nothing more

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back