Tom Scully as good as gone - Mike Sheahan

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah.

The pressure was intense on Ablett and he had the experience to live up to it. He is their best player and no one at the club including players would dispute his pay.

Scully is going to be expected to carry a group of players who are only a couple of years younger than him and high draft picks themselves.

If Scully is still struggling with a knee then these guys could outperform him while on minimal player salaries. Would make for some interesting conversations and they would be pushing for a nice pay rise come contract time.

Absolutely.

Melbourne have been smart too, they've offered him a heap of money, around $600 - $700k, meaning GWS have had to increase their offer to make it worthwhile for him to go, regardless of how much extra they have in their cap this is going to squeeze their cap in 3 or 4 years time.

The other issue with Scully is that every time he's had a hard tag he hasn't performed, look at the games against Port and Doggies.

This time he is def gone, Mike is super cereal, look at his face.

694545-scully-and-sheahan-strap.jpg

Lol.

Scully's knee is also looking like a legitimate concern as well, could we somehow end up dodging a bullet?

Imagine that, how would all the advocates of 'karma' on BF react if that was the case?

Lol.

Scully's knee is also looking like a legitimate concern as well, could we somehow end up dodging a bullet?

Imagine that, how would all the advocates of 'karma' on BF react if that was the case?
GWS wouldn't be the first to pay overs for a player with a dodgy knee PM, I remember my mob doing it with Doug Barwick - If I remember correctly, back in the days that we were trying to buy a flag :( He never was any good for us :(:(

I have had the same knee injury as Tom (I know because I work with a couple of the MFC medical staff) and it is a bit more serious than gets reported.
Certainly not many people have had his injury and surgery at his age and successfully gotten another 10 years at elite level sport.
This is why I believe he should and will take the money and go, he has no guarantees on his longevity so first and foremost has to think about his future.

I have had the same knee injury as Tom (I know because I work with a couple of the MFC medical staff) and it is a bit more serious than gets reported.
Certainly not many people have had his injury and surgery at his age and successfully gotten another 10 years at elite level sport.
This is why I believe he should and will take the money and go, he has no guarantees on his longevity so first and foremost has to think about his future.

That really is terrible news for the kid

GWS wouldn't be the first to pay overs for a player with a dodgy knee PM, I remember my mob doing it with Doug Barwick - If I remember correctly, back in the days that we were trying to buy a flag :( He never was any good for us :(:(

Don't know where you're coming from with that - he played 70 odd games and kicked 90 goals in just 4 years with us. And he did end up bringing us home a flag. Will never forget the reaction in the crowd to his goal in the last quarter in '90.

Sheahan is a babbling idiot. He hasn't got a clue. He just follows other journo's reports and adds his own lies to it. This is the bloke that said Franklin is the number 1 footballer in the AFL. If you believe anything that comes out of that idiots mouth then your as much a fool as he is.

The thing I don't get is the story on the backpage of the Sum about Scully leaving because of disagreements with the administration, possibly even the fact that they forced James McDonald to retire. He's probably already gone to GWS and when the annoucement takes places he use all these stories as reason. Why can't he just come out and say it was solely a financial decision, why do all these stories have to be generated to make it seem like he had other reasons. Realisticly if GWS came to Scully and said come to us, we'll pay you the same as Melbourne would he even consider leaving? Just come out right now tell us what you've chosen and tell the truth for once

I don't know why a young player would take an issue with the club's handling of Bruce, which was entirely fair by the way, as the club looks to focus more on the younger generation, of which Tom is a key element. Anyway, get on #scullyexcuses for some fun.

He'll stay.

100%.

Based on?

The thing I don't get is the story on the backpage of the Sum about Scully leaving because of disagreements with the administration, possibly even the fact that they forced James McDonald to retire. He's probably already gone to GWS and when the annoucement takes places he use all these stories as reason. Why can't he just come out and say it was solely a financial decision, why do all these stories have to be generated to make it seem like he had other reasons. Realisticly if GWS came to Scully and said come to us, we'll pay you the same as Melbourne would he even consider leaving? Just come out right now tell us what you've chosen and tell the truth for once

The use of the McDonald issue is bizarre for mine (I personally thought his time was up anyway).

Scully put off contract talks in July 2010 - McDonald was retired at the end of 2010 - so the timeline doesn't add up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most Demons supporters right now couldnt handle the truth.

Can you imagine the uproar with every game Scully gets, keeping another kid out and depriving him of development?

Most Demons supporters right now couldnt handle the truth.

Can you imagine the uproar with every game Scully gets, keeping another kid out and depriving him of development?

I see where your coming from, but as a Geelong supporter, the worse thing about last year for me was not knowing and the way it dragged on both Ablett and Thompson. I would have prefered them both to come out as soon as they had signed with other clubs and told everyone

Absolutely.

Melbourne have been smart too, they've offered him a heap of money, around $600 - $700k, meaning GWS have had to increase their offer to make it worthwhile for him to go, regardless of how much extra they have in their cap this is going to squeeze their cap in 3 or 4 years time.

The other issue with Scully is that every time he's had a hard tag he hasn't performed, look at the games against Port and Doggies.

Only my opinion, but I would be happier if I supported Melbourne that it is Scully and not Trengove that might go, this could turn out very nicely for the Dees if they can score a couple of low picks for him.

I would be rejoicing if i was a dees fan.

Better to get rid of him before he builds strong ties with the club.

Hes already had injury problems in his first 2 seasons.

Get rid of him and set an example that noone is bigger then the team.

Does anyone really blame Scully, though?

IMO he wins either way. He goes, he walks away in a gold plated jacket, and the chance to be a part of history. He stays, and everyone says how 'loyal' he is, and is held in some higher esteem, as he tries to lead Melbourne to their next flag..

Think of it this way. You have a job which you love, the pay isn't great, but you know its going to get better, with a company that is going places. A couple of years down the track, another company offers you big dollars for the exact same job. Sure, it will mean a relocation, but at 20, you've really got nothing to tie yourself down. They are offering a big contract, and the chance to be a part of what may be a dynasty some day. Your new boss is someone well respected within the industry, and the chance to work under him will hold you in very good stead. Troubled as to what to do, you look at the offer being presented by your company. Its half as good, its been a rollercoaster ride for the company this year, there is pressure on you to succeed beyond your capabilities at present, and this presents you an opportunity to get away, at least for now of some of that pressure.

In that situation, what would you do?

Not his fault. This is going to sit him for life. Remember guys this is a job and it doesn't matter if he is with us or got drafted by us, it doesn't mean anything. He was a player that was always going to be drafted and loyalty probably doesn't mean anything when you have that much hanging above you.

Think about it. If you had a offer to do the same thing but have a huge increase in pay, would you do it?

I'd rather him go and get some picks to trade for some top shelf 17 year old talent gws has rights to and further celebrate when we get jack viney with the father son. Too much money tied up in scully long term even cheaper than gws will have serious consequences long term in salary cap pressure. Business is business

Not his fault. This is going to sit him for life. Remember guys this is a job and it doesn't matter if he is with us or got drafted by us, it doesn't mean anything. He was a player that was always going to be drafted and loyalty probably doesn't mean anything when you have that much hanging above you.

Think about it. If you had a offer to do the same thing but have a huge increase in pay, would you do it?

He's 20. Not 30. $600k is already $300k more than what he'd probably be earning in 2012-2013. So to say he'd be an idiot to ditch $400k and stay in Melbourne is ridiculous. He's already earning WAYYYYYYY above his bracket if he stays at Melbourne.

I mean, in the US players stay at clubs despite better offers of 5-10 million more from other clubs. The players stay, because at the end of the day they're still earning friggin' millions of dollars. If you're earning $10 million, an extra $5 million isn't quite as appealing as it would be to someone earning $55,000 a year. Get my drift?

I just think that to ditch one club for an extra $400k, when you're already earning over 100% of what a majority of players his age would be earning, is a bit, err, greedy? Maybe it's just me.

I mean, some say "it's an offer he can't refuse", and I can't help but wonder if they're talking about Melbourne's or GWS's offer, because both are offers he can't refuse.

But yeah, anyway, he's gone. But he needs to come out now and sign. If Rioli and a bunch of other young players come out and say that they wanted to sign so they could focus on footy, Scully coming out saying he is holding until the end of the year for the same reason makes him look like he's talking shit. Come clean now mate. So that the fans can move on. We'll understand and accept it at the end of the day, I just don't like being taken for a ride, and I think the club has a right to know, because at the end of the day, the player is an investment, and I'm sure the club would like to start preparing for the days after Scully. We aren't in the same position as Geelong where we have a core already in place. We are building a team and losing Scully would be a big loss. We need to know how to counter it. He needs to come clean.

I don't care if he bolts for the money, but the sacrifice, all in the name of more money, considering he'd already be earning so much, would be too much for me. I'd choose Melbourne every day of the week. That's me though, and I don't expect him to make the same decision tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Scully as good as gone - Mike Sheahan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back