Tomahawk - One of the great last quarter efforts

Remove this Banner Ad

Like 1989 Ablett?
Perfect analogy (apart from the fact that G Ablett didn't miss in 1989, while for the first 3 quarters Hawkins' goalkicking was ropey). A Geelong side coming from way too far back in the final quarter, which is dragged almost single-handedly to the top of the mountain by its best big forward, and winds up just 6 points short at the final siren.

In a way, people are almost more likely to remember heroic performances in losing sides. Buckley and Judd winning Norm Smiths in losing teams are remembered after some of the less remarkable NSM performances in winning sides have faded in memory. And I will long remember Judd's almost superhuman clearance work single-handedly dragging Carlton back into a game that they were on the path to losing easily, in the 3rd quarter of the 2010 elimination final at Homebush (Sydney wound up winning by 5 points).

He was great in the last quarter, some woeful defending though. There is only one bloke doing anything for the opposition, you would think you would have someone tall standing in front of him. The number of uncontested marks he was allowed to get on the end of was deplorable.

Ironically he had the chance to take a mark in the dying seconds which would've resulted in him taking a shot to level the scores.

When the Sherrin slipped through his fingers I knew that was the ballgame.

Still missed a few very gettable shots at goal, they weren't soda's but they were well within his ability. His lack of support cost the cats in the end, they need a much deeper forward line if they're to be contenders next year.
Unfortunately all of this was known in February though.

We cut two of our leading goalkickers from 2010-2013 last November, then lost our prospective 2014 centre-half forward to an ACL preseason. Then goalkickers in Christensen and Motlop missed the preseason and first half of the year.

The Cats played the hand they were dealt. The forward line was terribly weak all year.

Missed the game. What were his last quarter stats? Do stats do it justice?

16 minutes into the last the Roos lead by 32. Hawkins hulked up, kicked 3 in a row in about 5 minutes, took mark after mark, helped set-up the fourth, ragdolled everybody, was even the hit-up option out of half back. One of the better carry jobs you'll see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish they'd pay his overhead handballs as the blatant (according to the rules of the game) throws that they are. But it's another issue.

interesting call; I reckon the umpires/rules committee have dramatically relaxed the interpretation on that kind of thing over maybe the past 3 years.

personally, as long as the closed fist is propelling the ball I'm fairly content.

So let me get this straight :D

One minute he's Wayne Carey.. but only last month he's mocked as "Wayne Carey".. and now he's Wayne Carey all of a sudden again!!!!

Lol these threads

He was huge no doubt.

But is there any reason he's allowed to go the high fend off in a marking contest? I noticed it against us last week, and a couple of times in that last quarter. No free kick paid.

Great quarter of footy to watch though.

16 minutes into the last the Roos lead by 32. Hawkins hulked up, kicked 3 in a row in about 5 minutes, took mark after mark, helped set-up the fourth, ragdolled everybody, was even the hit-up option out of half back. One of the better carry jobs you'll see.
Sounds very similar to his second half of the GF against Colingwood where he went beast and killed them. Love players that can do that.

I thought he was massive.

He's got a touch of that white line fever, too. Does all the dirty little things that make sure his opponent knows he's up for it and signals he won't go quietly.

Not knocking it…it is shit like that which makes some players so special.

Got weird eyes but...

got to say was one of the best individual efforts in finals i have seen ! not a fan of him or the cats in fact i think he is a big headed fool but last nights effort was one for the ages ! well done tom

Remove this Banner Ad

Tomahawk - One of the great last quarter efforts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back