Game Day Top 10 AFL finals of the 2000s

Remove this Banner Ad

SportsNut2017

Rookie
Jun 11, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
https://downtheguts.com/2017/08/31/top-10-afl-finals-of-the-2000s/

This week we continue our look at the best finals (excluding Grand Finals) played in the modern era. In the last fortnight, we have looked back on some of the great finals from the 1980’s and 1990’s. This week we look at the best of the finals from the first decade of this century.

We’d love to hear your most memorable finals moments of the 2000’s and there certainly were some epic clashes that took place in a decade where the footy played became faster as clubs became more and more professional off-field.

10: 2000 1st Qualifying Final: Essendon 198 def Nth Melbourne 73
Arguably the most perfect football ever played in a final. Essendon were unstoppable from start to end and had winners everywhere. Joe Misiti had 41 possessions and 4 goals, Matthew Lloyd kicked 7, James Hird 5 in the opening half to help the Bombers compile what still stands as the highest ever score in any final and the second biggest winning margin in any final.

9: 2009 2nd Elimination Final: Brisbane 111 def Carlton 104
It had been eight years since the Blues had played in the finals and between 2002 and 2008 they’d occupied one of the bottom two positions on the ladder five times. Their long awaited return to September looked like being a success too as they had Brisbane on the canvas at the Gabba at three-quarter time with a four goal advantage. A Cameron Cloke goal early in the final term saw the margin blow out to five goals and Carlton looked home. But the Lions, led by twin towers Jon Brown and Dan Bradshaw rocketed home to kick the final six goals and steal the win by seven points in what remains as the greatest ever comeback at three-quarter time in an Elimination Final.

8: 2002 1st Qualifying Final: Collingwood 108 def Port Adelaide 95
After exiting the finals the season before in straight sets the Power were determined to capitalise on finishing 2002 on top of the ladder. Against a Collingwood side minus Nathan Buckley, they were expected to win and win well. Nobody told the Pies though as Paul Licuria played one of the all-time great finals games with 40 inspirational possessions to lead the Magpies to a stirring victory against the odds.

7: 2007 2nd Semi Final: Collingwood 72 drew West Coast 72
In their quest for back to back premierships, the Eagles ended the home and away season in third. They coughed up a three quarter time lead in the first week and lost to the Power, so hosted the Pies in a cut throat clash in week two. Nothing separated the sides all night in a tight, dogged affair. Once again though the West Coast gave up a three quarter time lead but this time, as the siren sounded, scores were level and for only the second time in history, a final went to extra time, where Collingwood powered away from the tired Eagles, who exited in straight sets.

6: 2009 1st Semi Final: Collingwood 83 def Adelaide 78
As the siren sounded for quarter time between Collingwood and Adelaide an anxious hush came over the MCG as the scoreboard showed the visitors five goals ahead. Despite outscoring the Crows in the second term Collingwood still trailed by four goals at the main break. But the Magpie army lifted their side in the second half and they poured on six goals to none in the third quarter to send Pie fans in the stands delirious. Adelaide again fought back in a titanic struggle and a Kurt Tippett goal at the 27-minute mark looked to seal it for Adelaide. But a free kick to Collingwood’s Jack Anthony with under a minute remaining saw the big man kick truly to send the Pies into the Preliminary Final.

5: 2001 2nd Semi Final: Hawthorn 72 def Port Adelaide 69
Port Adelaide had rocketed up the table in season 2001 climbing from 14th the previous season to finish the home and away campaign in third. Losing their first final away in Brisbane they ventured home to take on a young Hawks side they were expected to beat. Three goals ahead at home at three-quarter time it looked as though they would. But Hawthorn stormed home against all the odds in a hostile environment to pinch the win by just three points to become just the second Victorian team to venture interstate to win a final.

4: 2007 1st Elimination Final: Hawthorn 105 def Adelaide 102
This game signalled the arrival of Lance ‘Buddy’ Franklin. He’d had a breakout season, but in his first final, Buddy was electric and dominant. Two months earlier, Adelaide thrashed the Hawks so despite the final being in Melbourne and despite Hawthorn finishing 5th and Adelaide 8th many expected a close game. They got it too as the Crows led at every change by 19, 12 and 14 points. But the fast finishing Hawks, led by Franklin, rattled home to win by three points. Buddy showed nerves of steel as his 50-metre bomb from the boundary in the closing stages sailed through to put Hawthorn in front. His salute to the ecstatic Hawks fans iconic.

3: 2007 1st Preliminary Final: Geelong 92 def Collingwood 87
The all-conquering Cats of 2007 entered the Preliminary Final fresh off belting Nth Melbourne in the Qualifying Final. Many expected them to easily take care of a Collingwood side who’d prevailed in extra-time just seven days earlier in the West. But the Pies were relentless all night and their small forward brigade of Alan Didak, Paul Medhurst and Sean Rusling caused problems for the Cats. Deep into the final term the Pies were still nipping at Geelong’s heels but with skipper Nathan Buckley sitting watching helplessly on the bench injured, Gary Ablett snapped the sealer to get Geelong home in a thriller by just five points.

2: 2004 1st Preliminary Final: Port Adelaide 94 def St.Kilda 88
For the third straight season, the Power finished the year as minor premiers. It was now or never for a side rapidly gaining a reputation as a finals choker. After winning their Qualifying Final and earning a week off, the Preliminary Final against the Saints was the biggest match in their short history. Nothing separated the sides all night in a tight, pulsating contest, but with the game on the line Gavin Wanganeen, who’d done little all match, kicked two final quarter goals including the one to put the Power in front and that’s where they stayed, by six points.

1: 2005 2nd Semi Final: Sydney 56 def Geelong 53
‘I see it, but I don’t believe it!’ was the cry from Anthony Hudson as Nick Davis somehow slotted the ball through the goals, despite a crowded Sydney forward 50 and being off balance. It was one of the greatest finals cameos ever witnessed as Davis kicked four final quarter goals to drag the Swans, who were four goals down at the final change, over the line.

The 2004 prelim at the MCG Lions 12-12-84 Def Cats 10-15-75 was a bloody tense one for me, I was sitting outside the Gabba in a bloody long queue hoping for a Lions win so we could organize grand final tickets for the next weekend. It was close all night and wet but we got there in the end, there was a lot of hugging and high fiveing of random strangers that night. Still gives me the shits though that we had to play "our" prelim* away, still think it was a big factor in our last quarter fade out in the GF.

*Note: Brisbane played its "home" final at the MCG despite being ranked above Geelong due to the agreement then in place with the Melbourne Cricket Club that at least one game each week of the finals be played at the MCG.

Some good games in there. Could easily have wce vs swans in 05 and 06 qualifying finals, saints vs crows 2005 was a beauty as well and eagles vs crows prelim in 2006 too.

Dons vs roos I wouldn't have had although you have it there for perfect football it was just a blood bath.

Pies vs lions 2003 good too. I love the good hard fought low scoring games especially in finals. Lions vs cats 04 perhaps. Dons vs cats too .

Some good games in there. Could easily have wce vs swans in 05 and 06 qualifying finals, saints vs crows 2005 was a beauty as well and eagles vs crows prelim in 2006 too.

Dons vs roos I wouldn't have had although you have it there for perfect football it was just a blood bath.

Pies vs lions 2003 good too. I love the good hard fought low scoring games especially in finals. Lions vs cats 04 perhaps. Dons vs cats too .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs v Giants prelim

One of the best games of football I have ever seen.

Presumably if/when they do one from 2010 onwards it'll be up there. Difficult to judge when your team is involved but it felt epic at the time.

Cats pies 2007 PF deserves to be number one here I think. It was shocking watching it thinking the pies might get up. Footy history could have looked very different for cats fans if that had happened.

The 2004 Port vs Saints Prelim is quite possibly the best game I've ever been to, surpassing even the following week. The atmosphere was mental. Everything from the G-Train crowd invasion which I believe genuinely turned the game out of St Kilda's favour, to the Wangas / Burgers / James show. Just amazing. Should be #1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Top 10 AFL finals of the 2000s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back