Top 10 Hawks i have seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr Wong said:
Seriously where would've Crawford played? Rover? doubt it Platten in his prime ran all day. I have my doubts
Yes, probably rover. You say Platten ran all day, NO-ONE runs out a game like Crawford.
It is a tough topic"Top 10 Hawks I have seen" as we have seen plenty of great players, but Crawford should not be under-estimated. Has carried this club and would have been even better in some of the great 70's and 80's sides. Clubs nowadays now they stop Crawford, they stop Hawthorn and he gets smashed from pillar to post.

andrew coombs said:
In my 30 years of following the HFC the top 10 players are:

1. Matthews ( best ever seen, had it all )
2. Dunstall ( best since Lethal )
3. Platten ( best small man in the AFL for over 10 years)
4. Knights ( sensational talent, a star at both ends )
5. Jarman ( footskills had to be seen to be believed. Great tackler and reader of game also )
6. Tuck ( great running player with superb skill level. Tough too )
7. Ayres ( smart, physical big occasion player. Great defender who could be thrown in the middle with much success )
8. Brereton ( ridiculously gifted KPP. Capable of winning big games on his own. Invaluable physicality cut him down )
9. Buckenara ( for a bloke who looked like an accountant he sure destroyed a lot of top defenders. Another big occasion player )
10. Crawford ( fearless small man who simply breaks the hearts of his opponents with amazing fitness. Skills underrated too )

Interesting, Andrew.

I can understand your opinion on the recent lists, but what about some of the teams you followed in the first ten of your thirty years of support?

OneEyedHawk said:
I think it is pretty line ball. But Crawford is definately in the top 10 Hawks that I have seen in my 28 years.

Each to their own.

I love Crawf and think his a great but yeah. :)

superstar said:
Never ceases to amaze me how truly underrated Crawford is, even by his own supporters. A shame, but in time I believe he'll be remembered as the champion he has been in such an ordinary side.

While Shane suffers for not having been part of the 80s dominance, keep in mind the fact that he has single handedly carried a side for many years. How any one of those champions from previous eras would have managed as the sole star instead of one of 15 will never be known. I doubt too many would have coped better than Crawf though.

Anyway, I will only count my viewing and not that of the record books:

1. Dunstall
2. Ayres
3. Brereton
4. Crawford
5. Langford
6. Mathews (only got the tail end, sadly)
7. Platten
8. Jarman (would have been higher if he stayed)
9. Mew
10. Buckenara

With all respect I take you as being fairly young Crawf wouldn't be that high as Matthews would be ahead of him

1. Matthews
2. Dunstall

True champions who would fit in any team's top ten.

In no particular order to round out the top ten.

3. Mew-(Before back injury. If he was good enough for Yabby to pencil in first then he deserves the No# 3 )
4. Knights-(Breathtaking)
5. Jarman-(Sublime skills and vision)
6. Brereton- (Could win a game without getting a kick , when he got the ball he was even better)
7. Platten- (IMHO our most valuable player in our most dominant era,)
8. Langford
9. Ayres
10. Buckenara-(Balance, poise, magnificent kick, great overhead,)

Didn't see enough of Hudson, Bremner, Crimmo.

Wallace and Crawf are favourites but would have let the skill level down in a top ten.

mick said:
1. Matthews
2. Dunstall

True champions who would fit in any team's top ten.

In no particular order to round out the top ten.

3. Mew-(Before back injury. If he was good enough for Yabby to pencil in first then he deserves the No# 3 )
4. Knights-(Breathtaking)
5. Jarman-(Sublime skills and vision)
6. Brereton- (Could win a game without getting a kick , when he got the ball he was even better)
7. Platten- (IMHO our most valuable player in our most dominant era,)
8. Langford
9. Ayres
10. Buckenara-(Balance, poise, magnificent kick, great overhead,)

Didn't see enough of Hudson, Bremner, Crimmo.

Wallace and Crawf are favourites but would have let the skill level down in a top ten.

Crawford would have played in any Hawthorn team. I would have loved to see Crawford working along side guys like Platten, Dipper, Tucky and Jarman.

Platten would be my number 1 rover (he's like a Crawford and a Mitchell combined)

Don't kid yourselves though Crawford's work ethic and attention to fitness detail has and would always put him in any team that a Hawthorn side could put on a park.

Think about Des Headland. Nearly won a Brownlow playing in Brisbane playing along side an awesome team and midfield. Whats he done since.

Crawford in our 1986-91 team would have produced a better team and at least one B & F to the little champion.

BiginJapan

Are you sure about this.

has only limited experience of watching Hawthorn over the years.

I am under the impression that you may of seen loads of Hawthorn Games.

1 Leighal

2 Dunstal
3 Hudson
4 Platen
5 Dermie
6 Langford
7 Ayres
8 Mew
9 Knights
!0 Moore

If I was picking a team to win a grand Final First Pick would be Dipper then Ayres and Dermie and Don Scottand Rat they would all keep going till near death

I have been a Hawk watcher for 30 years and given this list some thought almost every day for the last 6 months.....
1 Matthews won games singlehandedly
2 Dunstall won games almost singlehandedly
3 Tuck AFL record holder for most of everything
4 Platten I can't remember anyone ever questioning his form
5 Crawford pity he wasn't around in the 80's so he'd have a few flags
6 Ayres a couple of Normies says enough
7 Mew only underated by those who have no idea
8 Greene worked and worked and worked
9 Scott had them all worked out
10 Knights just a fave but when 100% fit none better

bjamd said:
I have been a Hawk watcher for 30 years and given this list some thought almost every day for the last 6 months.....

8 Greene worked and worked and worked

Your kidding??? Russell Greene??? A good honest tryer but nothing more. What about the sublime skills of Jarman or the big game performances of Brereton?

Shocking call - Russell Greene??? What were you thinking???

GO HAWKS!!

Russell Greene was a bench speacilist and would come on in the last part of the game with fresh legs and win them for us.I dont know if that would work today with interchange but it worked in the old days of 19th and 20th man.
As for Jarman a true champion who won a few games for us single handed BUT I cant forgive him for leaving and he was crap in our grand final against West Coast but he did win Adelaide a few.Maybe you would put him down as best for them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greene came to us at the crossroads after being discarded by St. Kilda and became the first true running defender. Watch a few games from the early to mid 80s to see how important he was (Vic captain in 84 not bad for a good honest trier -ok I am a bit biased, but its all relative!!!) Jars was great to watch but not a top ten Hawk and as for Dermie I don't consider him a Hawk until he gets a better haircut

My Man Croad said:
BiginJapan

Are you sure about this.

has only limited experience of watching Hawthorn over the years.

I am under the impression that you may of seen loads of Hawthorn Games.

Of course you have the benefit of some inside information! However, during my formative years I did only see Hawthorn occasionally, and a lot of the games since have been during the period mentioned in my post when my team used to crap themselves at the sight of the brown and gold.

By the way, I'm more than happy to continue our previous traditions of attending the games this year!

bjamd said:
and as for Dermie I don't consider him a Hawk until he gets a better haircut

Stuff the haircut, since that 85 GF and his being the only saviour from the (possible if hadn't of been out there) maybe the greatest ever flogging in a GF, he's a Hawk alright.

This is on-field stuff only right? :eek:

andrew coombs said:
Why would biginjapan be still up and ON the Hawthorn site at this time of night. A day with rails bookmaker F Watts didnt wear you out?

It wore me out emotionally, spiritually, and sexually. However it didn't wear me out physically, hence my appearance on this forum tonight. I might ask what the hell you were doing on the same forum about an hour after my message appeared? (I have just got up to check for an important email from the other side of the world, that's why I'm up at this time of night.)

matthews
dipper
tuck
platten
dunstall
jarman
ayres
langford
brereton
knights

im throwing a smokey in as number 10...
i had seen this guy play on a number of occasions for us and he always gave his heart and did his job in a freakish manner..
yes thats right its the freak james morrissey..

im not saying he's better than crawford etc... but i did like watching him play and knew when he was named in the team we could count on one of their players being shut down..

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10 Hawks i have seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back