Autopsy Round 10, 2024: Hawks get pipped by Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, so, Phillips needs to be rewarded so he stays, but I'd bring Sicily in as the third tall frwd to help out Chol and dear.
Frost, scrimshaw and Philips should be enough cover down back.

Sicily could have gone in the last centre bounces too

Hardwick, Sicily, day, and maybe Weddle can be our break glass guys going forward in time

Re the above tape. It's clear Dimma had no respect for DBJ. The 2 goals he kicked he was absolutely miles off him, including the match winner.

So, not only did we move our best goalkicker out of the fwd line, he also cost us defensively and most probably the match.

Also the CB loss at the end - Meek hits it straight to Drew. I don't know what play we were running, but they had Butters and Horne on the fly, either side of the ball up. It actually looks like we had no idea, even with Day, Jai and Nash in there.

View attachment 1995116

Horne and Butters on the fly either side of the ruck. All we had to do was set up with a defensive triangle (2 behind the ruck) and drop it straight down.
All 3 mids are trailing and we hit it FORWARD straight to Drew.

This is how Butters got out in 15m of open space.

Game over.
One of the worst set ups ever, notice Drew holding a lot of Jais jumper aswell.

A lot mentioned about Meek maybe taking it out of the ruck at that last CB. I'd have preferred him absolutely smoking it towards our half forward line. Even if Port win it there it aint going inside 50 without at least one extra kick or a chain of handballs.

Little bit perplexed about the lack of recognition of the fact we have all seen this game before with the same result. Only 15 roster matches ago.

Hawks v Richmond, Round 19 last year. 3/4 time score 15.3 to 9.9..
Final score 15.5 95 - 14.12 96.

2 points in the last to 5.3. Liam Baker with the winner and seconds remaining.

Almost identical. Shocking to think it can happen twice in 15 games.
Not a lot of faith in lessons being learnt…

A lot mentioned about Meek maybe taking it out of the ruck at that last CB. I'd have preferred him absolutely smoking it towards our half forward line. Even if Port win it there it aint going inside 50 without at least one extra kick or a chain of handballs.
Would have been better than what he did. He should have told the other mids that he is dropping it straight at his feet, so be ready for packs on. That last CB looked like they had never practiced it before in their lives.

Little bit perplexed about the lack of recognition of the fact we have all seen this game before with the same result. Only 15 roster matches ago.

What is the direction from the coaching staff? Sam mentioned we need to find ways to score when we have a lead…. I find it astonishing a coach would even need to say that tbh.

I heard the Pies coach say he was going to make his club watch the final two minutes of our game and get as many learnings as they can from it.

I would hope that final 30 minutes of footy will be watched by our coaching group and we put those winnable games (tigers and port) to bed once and for all.

So much great stuff to watch in the first half. Fast ball movement, spread and options everywhere, great team defence and first to the ball. Somewhere in the 3rd we seemed to go away from everything we were doing to get that 40 point lead.

Breust will be the first to admit he had an absolute mare but clearly he just struggled to adapt coming in cold to what were very slippery conditions. So very harsh/embarasssing/disrespectful for supporters to say he's cooked.
He’s played 285 AFL games. Before that he played in southern country NSW.

Don’t tell me he wouldn’t know how to adapt to slippery conditions.

That's just silly.

He’s not cooked, but he didn’t play well at all. If he ends up playing VFL next week it wouldn’t be a shock.

Could do with a full game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re the above tape. It's clear Dimma had no respect for DBJ. The 2 goals he kicked he was absolutely miles off him, including the match winner.

So, not only did we move our best goalkicker out of the fwd line, he also cost us defensively and most probably the match.

Also the CB loss at the end - Meek hits it straight to Drew. I don't know what play we were running, but they had Butters and Horne on the fly, either side of the ball up. It actually looks like we had no idea, even with Day, Jai and Nash in there.
There is only one solace from all from this… Its that so many people will learn lessons.
From Weds to Meek… to Daisy, Nash… to Dimma, Mass and Karl…. Each makes just one different decision and the narrative is “hawks hold off fast finishing port”…
Last week it was done to perfection for 90 seconds inside the oppo D50. This week so many can look at what their role in losing was.

And thankfully it wasn’t in a match that came with any real cost.

2 weeks in a row no goals in last quarter, screams we are not developed enough yet, more pre seasons equals more core fitness. We are showing it’s our young bodies not inability or talent.

Great signs. Young players showing heaps, Dear in particular, gives a contest and not out of it when ball hits ground. Chol and Ginny great gets, both compete, love the way Chol hits bodies.

He’s played 285 AFL games. Before that he played in southern country NSW.

Don’t tell me he wouldn’t know how to adapt to slippery conditions.

That's just silly.

He’s not cooked, but he didn’t play well at all. If he ends up playing VFL next week it wouldn’t be a shock.

Could do with a full game.
Difference is he was on the bench for 3 quarters. So fairly unique circumstances to most of the other 285 games he's played (bar 3 or 4 as a sub). And in those conditions of course he's going to be at a disadvantage to everyone else who've acclimatised to the greasy ball, so not really that silly he struggled to find touch, which is compounded given the whole side was under siege.

The coaches can't win in a loss like that.
Imagine the angst of they DIDN'T move players behind the ball !!!

Was it the Adelaide or the GWS game last year when Sam got shitcanned for the opposite. Sent Sicily forward to try and kick another score instead of trying to free him up as loose down back.

I think we lost by less than a kick.

With bruest, I just don’t see him as a burst player. I think he’s better suited to playing 4 quarters, and using his smarts to create 5-6 chances.

I might be wrong but can’t see how he becomes suddenly cooked straight after such a quality year last year.

i’d play him and back him to come good, or (worst case) make it apparent to everyone that it’s over and we are all comfortable for him to finish short of the 300 he deserves.

That's completely ignoring that also in that time period we have managed to win two close games this season .
Also nearly won a game coming from 40 down against the Pies .

We made some poor inexperienced errors under pressure yesterday .
But suggesting the team is not learning since that Richmond game pretty much is incorrect .

Been a fair bit of toys out the cot stuff in the past 24 hours on here.

I feel this last month has been pivotal for our development. As much as losing like that utterly sucks, I'm not as negative as some.

Three games decided by under a kick. We showed great composure to beat the Dogs and grind out the win against the Saints. In a way losing like this to Port may seem bitter but better long term as it stops any potential head wobble in it's tracks.

To me we are improving out of sight this season. Some our first half football was fantastic. Scintillating ball movement. Agressive attack on the ball. We are finding players all over the park. Meek, Calsh, Mass.

Dixon was nice and rested too
Dixon finished on the bench for the last 7 minutes. Next to him was Georgiadis who sat down for 19 minutes. The other 3 were injured.

Port weren’t fresh, they were mature and playing with intensity borne out of staring down the barrel at a shock loss.

We went into our shell and stopped moving to create offensive options.

We weren’t less fit than Port. That’s rubbish.

We were less confident and didn’t have the emotion / momentum behind us.

Hardwick did as he should of and i believe Frost was the one who gave the freekick to DBJ. Although Hardwick gave him way too much space, but the second one was entirely fine.

Hardwick left DBJ who was in no mans land, unable to crumb as we did, he didn't apply pressure either and threw a boot at a loose ball. Hardwick went up contested and tried thumping it (did a decent job but not enough) and quickly folds back to try be a goal keeper but wasn't there in time.

Can't be to blame at all.

The centre bounce setup was atrocious, smash it forward, hit it at your feet, or hold it in. Set up accordingly, instead they tried pretty footy with Day as a spare sweeper.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back