Top 10 'Kids'

Remove this Banner Ad

To other Tiger fans... we have only had 3 top 10 draft picks in the past so many years (Deledio, Tambling and Oakley-Nicholls) so them 3 based on potential should be placed higher than someone like Foley who no doubt will be a superstar but was just off the rookie list and therefore people didn't see as much potential in him as they do in JON or Bling.

JON should be in everyone's top 5 if you base the list on potential!

Also Riewoldt would have been a top 10 pick in the super draft had we not traded for Polak, so Riewoldt definately should be in the top 5 for potential at our club.

He's a top 10 super draft pick for crying out loud!

Hehe but with guys like Raines (pick 76 ?) dominating then it doesn't matter where we draft our players in the draft, with GM pulling the strings our young list is filled with quality.

In the last super draft Melbourne picked up Luke Molan at 9... Where the hell has he gone now? There ahve been many other examples. I'm not saying Riewoldt is gonig to be another Luke Molan but SUperdraft meens nothing.

I really like Brisbane's list of kids 21 or under. Sherman is gonig to be one heck of a player. Future brownlows IMO.

All players listed are definitely in the cats top ten kids but i disagree with the order you have put them in... Potential wise i would say:

1. Nathan Ablett
2. Tom Hawkins (Too early to tell if he will be better than NAb)
3. Joel Selwood
4. Brent Prismall
5. Nathan Djerrkura
6. Kane Tenace (Has not shown enough to warrant no. 3)
7. Travis Varcoe
8. Ryan Gamble
9. Mark Blake
10. Shannon Byrnes (Definitely shown less than above IMO)

But its hard to tell with some of the new guys who are yet to play AFL

???

Totally agree here fanatic. Your thoughts on Tenace and Byrnes are spot on.:thumbsu:

Clarke, Gilbert and McQualter both look like being regulars by 2008, Armitage, Howard and Allen should be good, Watts is unproven but has all the tools to make it and James Gwilt won a final for us. It certainly isn't the best list but we're doing ok.
Goddard is the only experienced player I would take and both the Clarkes aren't much chop with their hardness at the ball. Armitage sounds like a talent but Howard was the biggest shock at the draft and has the potential to bite the Saints on the bum more than any other 2006 selection.

Gwilt?
Plus, if this thread had have been made 6 months ago I could've included guys like Ball, Dal Santo, Maguire, Gram, L.Fisher and X.Clarke.
Not on topic.

Gram and Fisher wouldn't have been rated highly outside of St Kilda last year and Fisher couldn't get even get on the park.

schammer behind drum?

pretty good list that, though sure drops away after 4. duffield could be a player

I agree with Schammer about Drum but will refute it falling away after 4. Warnock will be an abosolute star. He gave Leuenberger a bath at WAFL this year. Not saying beating a 17 year old is a huge achievement but their b'days are only 18 months apart.

Leuenberger is also heavier at 17 than Warnock at 19 so the physicality aspect definately favoured Leuenberger.

So you can add Warnock to a great young group at Fremantle.

On potential:

1. Warnock
2. Murphy
3. Mundy
4. Drum
5. Schammer
6. Duffield
7. Collard
8. O'Brien
9. Campbell
10. Ibbotson

I guess after 6 it becomes speculative. I can see what you mean about it dropping away. Though a lot of people haven't seen Warnock yet so are quick to presume he's a nothing. I think if the draft was done again he'd be picked first round with the ability he's shown in the last 12 months.

1 - Brendon Goddard
2 - David Armitage
3 - Raphael Clarke
4 - Sam Gilbert
5 - Andrew McQualter
6 - Fergus Watts
7 - Brad Howard
8 - Jarryd Allen
9 - James Gwilt
10 - Robert Eddy (R)

Others: Justin Sweeney, Phil Raymond, Jayden Attard (R), Luke vanRheenen (R), James Wall (R), Jarryn Geary (R)

Most of our best players are 22-24 (Koschitzke, Riewoldt, Ball, Dal Santo, Maguire, Gram, X.Clarke, Brooks, L.Fisher, S.Fisher).
Goddard the only decent player on our list but considering most of your guns are 22-24 fair enough. but still not much young talent.

I can't understand all the Bomber supporters high rating of Andrew Lee. What has he done? I don't rate him at all and with the inclusion of big Mal, he will struggle to get a game.

Top 8 kids for us will be pretty clear cut IMO
Nathan Brown, Dale Thomas, Scott Pendlebury, Heath Shaw, Travis Cloke, Ben Reid, Chris Egan, Sean Rusling.

Take your pick of 2 of John Anthony, Harry O'Brien or Sam Iles will be most likely to join Top 10 as they will play seniors at some point this year.

Danny Stanley, Brad Dawes, Ryan Cook, Brad Dck, Tyson Goldsack and Danny Nicholls still a fair while off getting their chance.

Top 8 kids for us will be pretty clear cut IMO
Nathan Brown, Dale Thomas, Scott Pendlebury, Heath Shaw, Travis Cloke, Ben Reid, Chris Egan, Sean Rusling.

Take your pick of 2 of John Anthony, Harry O'Brien or Sam Iles will be most likely to join Top 10 as they will play seniors at some point this year.

Danny Stanley, Brad Dawes, Ryan Cook, Brad Dck, Tyson Goldsack and Danny Nicholls still a fair while off getting their chance.

No Alan Toovey??? Just a Player i Rate.

I can't understand all the Bomber supporters high rating of Andrew Lee. What has he done? I don't rate him at all and with the inclusion of big Mal, he will struggle to get a game.

These top 10 lists are based largely on potential, so the question "what has he done?" is a silly one. Seeing him a few times at VFL level this year, he looked quite impressive. He didn't see too much senior action, but didn't look out of place when he did. He's 195cms, has a solid build, good pace and excellent agility.

With the inclusion of big Mal, he may well struggle to get a game. Mal’s recruitment will allow Lee to develop more steadily rather than be rushed. He didn't play any senior or VFL games in his first year at the club (2005) due to OP, so he's progressing quite nicely considering.

Why do people put recently drafted players in their top 10?

They haven't played at AFL level, and in most cases you're basing it on pure speculation.

Exactly what I was thinking. They could be included based on potential, but I wouldn't rate them above players that have already played at AFL level.

Heres my list of players and currently based on shown performances, the top players have obviously had more chance to show us what they have got:

Stanton
Watson
Bradley
Monfries
Dyson
Nash
Slattery
Lee
Ryder
Dempsey
Sam Lonergan

Narrowly missing out because they are 22:

Johns
Winderlich
Laycock

Unproven due to still developing or rookie listed:

McKinnon
Hocking
Neagle

New blood:

Gumbleton
Jetta
Hislop
Houli
Davey
Reimers

21 players under 21, 3 players that are 22, I didn't include new rookies.

Exactly what I was thinking. They could be included based on potential, but I wouldn't rate them above players that have already played at AFL level.

Heres my list of players and currently based on shown performances, the top players have obviously had more chance to show us what they have got:

Stanton
Watson
Bradley
Monfries
Dyson
Nash
Slattery
Lee
Ryder
Dempsey
Sam Lonergan

Narrowly missing out because they are 22:

Johns
Winderlich
Laycock

Unproven due to still developing or rookie listed:

McKinnon
Hocking
Neagle

New blood:

Gumbleton
Jetta
Hislop
Houli
Davey
Reimers

21 players under 21, 3 players that are 22, I didn't include new rookies.
In my opinion its more like this:
Stanton
Watson
Monfries
Slattery
Nash
Dyson
Ryder
Bradley
Lee
Dempsey
Sam Lonergan

Goddard is the only experienced player I would take and both the Clarkes aren't much chop with their hardness at the ball. Armitage sounds like a talent but Howard was the biggest shock at the draft and has the potential to bite the Saints on the bum more than any other 2006 selection.

Agree on most points, but Xavier Clarke's hardness at the ball is why he is constantly injured. He started off as a quick, skinny outside flanker but has worked very hard on becoming an inside midfielder. Personally I think he has developed too fast, as he seems to have lost a bit of flair and agility, and he's constantly throwing himself into dangerous situations and injuring himself. Raph established himself in our best 22 in 2005 but was never fit in '06. Howard definately could turn out to be an ordinary selection but if John Beveridge thinks he is worth a second round super draft pick he must be alright.

All in all we would be much better off if we had have gone for a couple of kids in the 2004 draft instead of Ackland and McGough. Replace those two with Sherman and Knights and the list would be one of the best. Trading pick 17 for Watts might end up looking pretty ordinary as well. By doing that we missed out on a chance to get one of Pffeifer/Dempsey/Muston/Bailey/McKinley...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelongs top 10. Did them in teirs. First teir is the guns who hopefully will play alot of footy. Teir 2 is the good players that potentially can become guns but time will tell. Teir 3 is what I feel are the duds and wont play a heap of football

Nathan Ablett
Joel Selwood
Tom Hawkins

Brent Prismall
Travis Varcoe
Nathan Djerrkura
Ryan Gamble

Mathew Stokes
Kane Tenace
Shannon Byrnes

1. Lance Franklin
2. Mitch Thorp
3. Grant Birchall
4. Jarryd Roughead
5. Jordan Lewis
6. Xavier Ellis
7. Beau Muston
8. Beau Dowler
9. Max Bailey
10. Jarryd Morton
I’m actually quite scared about the thought of the Hawks team in 2-3 years. They are going to be unbelievably good. :eek: :thumbsu:

Here is how I see the Crows:

1. Nathan van Berlo
2. Richard Douglas
3. John Meesen
4. James Sellar
5. Ivan Maric
6. Kurt Tippett
7. Darren Pfeiffer
8. Jason Porplyzia
9. Chris Knights
10. Bernie Vince

• 6 midfielders
• 2 ruckmen
• 2 key forwards

So far it's between Melbourne and Carlton as to who has the best players. Melbourne probably win on what the players have done so far, and Carlton probably win on potential

I’m actually quite scared about the thought of the Hawks team in 2-3 years. They are going to be unbelievably good. :eek: :thumbsu:

Here is how I see the Crows:

1. Nathan van Berlo
2. Richard Douglas
3. John Meesen
4. James Sellar
5. Ivan Maric
6. Kurt Tippett
7. Darren Pfeiffer
8. Jason Porplyzia
9. Chris Knights
10. Bernie Vince

• 6 midfielders
• 2 ruckmen
• 2 key forwards

Thanks Drummond, it's good to see that SOMEONE knows their footy on here.

Hawthorns kids are so much better than anyone elses it's not even worth mentioning. Noone on BigFooty other than you ever acknowledges this due to ignorance and also bitter jealousy.

Go the Crows.

We have 10 players who wil be better than Brock McLean which is what Melbourne pin there entire future on.

Franklin
Roughead
Ellis
Kennedy
Dowler
Muston
Birchall
Thorpe
Morton
Lewis

McLean............LOL the demons.

So far it's between Melbourne and Carlton as to who has the best players. Melbourne probably win on what the players have done so far, and Carlton probably win on potential

Actually I would put Carlton last. Your kids are pretty good but we have many more of them. McLean is your best and we have 10 or so who will be better than him.

He was average last year, but this year he really stepped up. Getting 36 possessions in a game is hard to argue against.

Of course, I'd much rather Hawthorn's top 5 players than Melbourne's top 5. Having one player who's better than everyone else won't win you any flags if the rest of the group is average.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10 'Kids'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back