Don77

Senior List
Oct 16, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
With all these 'top 10' threads going around, thought I might as well start another one. The criteria is the player must be 21 or under. Who are the best 10 kids (potential wise) on your club's list.

Here's Essendons:

1. Scott Gumbleton
2. Paddy Ryder
3. Brent Stanton
4. Angus Monfries
5. Leroy Jetta
6. Tom Hislop
7. Kepler Bradley
8. Jay Nash
9. Henry Slattery
10. Andrew Lee

Players to miss out include Ricky Dyson, Sam Lonergan, Jay Neagle, Bachar Houli, Kyle Reimers and Alwyn Davey plus rookies. Did my list based on potential rather than performance otherwise Stanton and Monfries would have been 1 and 2 respectively. Am more interested in fans opinion on who say, in 5 years time will be the best players, not who is at the moment.

With all these 'top 10' threads going around, thought I might as well start another one. The criteria is the player must be 21 or under. Who are the best 10 kids (potential wise) on your club's list.

Here's Essendons:

1. Scott Gumbleton
2. Paddy Ryder
3. Brent Stanton
4. Angus Monfries
5. Leroy Jetta
6. Tom Hislop
7. Kepler Bradley
8. Jay Nash
9. Henry Slattery
10. Andrew Lee

Players to miss out include Ricky Dyson, Sam Lonergan, Jay Neagle, Bachar Houli, Kyle Reimers and Alwyn Davey plus rookies. Did my list based on potential rather than performance otherwise Stanton and Monfries would have been 1 and 2 respectively. Am more interested in fans opinion on who say, in 5 years time will be the best players, not who is at the moment.

Don77 do you rate bachar houli at all or ahve you not seen him,. would definately be in your top 10.

for collingwood it is

1. Ben Reid
2. Dale Thomas
3. Scott Pendlebury
4. Sean Rusling
5. Travis Cloke
6. Chris Egan
7. Nathan Brown
8. Harry O'brien
9. Ryan Cook
10. Chris Dawes

Fair enough then mate. Lemme tell you, you have one hell of a player on your hands. For talent was rated top ten in the draft, Injuries held him back.

It would be good to see who the other clubs rate as their top ten potential wise..

Fair enough then mate. Lemme tell you, you have one hell of a player on your hands. For talent was rated top ten in the draft, Injuries held him back.

It would be good to see who the other clubs rate as their top ten potential wise..

Il be surprise if bacher doesnt finish Top 5 in NAB award next year. Yes i know hes going to face the likes of Smith, Gumby, Gibbs etc as well. Houli is a GUN!!!!!

Our u21s blow. All of our guns are aged either 22 or 23. We seriously cleaned up in the 2001-02 drafts something ridiculous when you look back at it.

1. Beau Waters
2. Sam Butler
3. Shannon Hurn
4. Matt Rosa
5. Mark LeCras
6. Matt Priddis
7. Mitch Morton
8. Eric McKenzie
9. Mitch Brown
10. Ben McKinley

Well firstly, it is hard because we haven't seen the new draftees play any AFL footy yet. North added 6 21 and under players to the senior list since seasons end, but I have only seen a few play junior footy on TV. I'll only include the draftees I have seen something of.

I must say, it is a very exciting list though. Especially the top 4 with what seem to be 3 lock away stars and MOran is an absolute 'could be anything' type player.

1. Daniel Wells - confident he will become a top 10 AFL player

2. Lachlan Hansen - vision I have seen and talk of him is very exciting. Seems to be a complete package. Tall, fast, good skill, truckloads of courage. Sounds like a can't go wrong selection.

3. Jesse Smith - His 2006 pre-season form is the best I have ever seen from an under 21 at North. Was tearing up every intra-club and practice match. Got injured with 10 minutes left of pre-season training. Tall, skillful, courageous, arrogant - will be a star

4. Brad Moran - has come from nowhere late in the year, but could be anything. Beat Daniel Wells' 20m sprint record in 2004 (actually beat everyone who has ever gone to draft camp because he broke the all time record) yet he is 202cm. 21 possesion debut and has played on Buckley yet only took up footy four years ago. Crazy stuff.

5. Daniel McConnell - 2nd round pick, couple of years in the excellent Eagles program, 191cm tall midfielder with great ball finding ability and good skills. Averaged 18 poss this year.

6. Andrew Swallow - super quick inside midfielder. Great first year, amazing attack on the ball, very athletic, found his own inside footy as a skinny 18 year old amongst men. Doesn't happen often.

7. David Trotter - Top 10 pick from 2003 was looking good but really fell ove -r even at VFL level - in 2006. Has good size, can lock down as a defender but importantly is a beautiful kick on either foot. Needs to get fitness/body shape right aka Jobe Watson pre-2006

8. Matt Riggio - Highly rated at the club. Taken as an underage draftee and should have ended up in the 2006 draft. Very aggressive and hard, good skills, HBF.

9. Ed Lower - Rookie list promotion, showed great maturity and performed instantly at VFL level. Quiet when played in the seniors, but did enough to suggest there is some talent to work with. Good evasive skills, nice kick, but may be a bit limited athletically.

10. Lindsay Thomas - all our other under 21s I haven't seen, so I'll put new draftee Thomas in. I only saw a bit of him, but he looks quick and skilful.

Our u21s blow. All of our guns are aged either 22 or 23. We seriously cleaned up in the 2001-02 drafts something ridiculous when you look back at it.

1. Beau Waters
2. Sam Butler
3. Shannon Hurn
4. Matt Rosa
5. Mark LeCras
6. Matt Priddis
7. Mitch Morton
8. Eric McKenzie
9. Mitch Brown
10. Ashley Thornton (rookie)

The thing with the Eagles list and i imagine many other lists, is that it can change from a week to week basis. What i mean is like a guy like Morton has the ability to be at the top of the list but some other weeks he can play like a dead set hack.

Classic example would be Lecras and hes round 22 game compared to the following week.

Melbourne's top 5 is pretty impressive

1. Brock McLean
2. Clint Bartram
3. Matthew Bate
4. Nathan Jones
5. Colin Sylvia
6. Lynden Dunn
7. Michael Newton
8. James Frawley
9. Petterd
10. Isaac Weetra

1. Brock McLean
2. Clint Bartram
3. Matthew Bate
4. Nathan Jones
5. Colin Sylvia
6. Lynden Dunn
7. Michael Newton
8. James Frawley
9. Petterd
10. Isaac Weetra

Cant believe Brock is only 21. It amazes me how good he is. Will win a Brownlow IMO

1: Richard Douglas
2: James Sellar
3: His Holiness Nathan Van Berlo
4: John Meesen
5: Kurt Tippett
6: Ivan Maric
7: Chris Knights
8: Darren Pfeiffer
9: Bernie Vince
10: David Mackay

I dunno, looks kinda alright.

1. Brock McLean
2. Clint Bartram
3. Matthew Bate
4. Nathan Jones
5. Colin Sylvia
6. Lynden Dunn
7. Michael Newton
8. James Frawley
9. Petterd
10. Isaac Weetra

Jones and Sylvia are better then bate, i dont rate Bate at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing with the Eagles list and i imagine many other lists, is that it can change from a week to week basis. What i mean is like a guy like Morton has the ability to be at the top of the list but some other weeks he can play like a dead set hack.

Classic example would be Lecras and hes round 22 game compared to the following week.

The thing is its gonna be damn tough for anyone not in the top 5 in that list to crack a game in our 22 next year regardless of form. Just look at LeCras. He absolutely ripped the WAFL to shreds and only got a game based on form in Round 22.

Quite simply due to nearly all of our players being 25 and under its not gonna be easy to crack into our best 22 for some time. I cant imagine everyone hanging around for a chance either

1. Marc Murphy
2. Bryce Gibbs
3. Andrew Walker
4. Adam Bentick
5. Josh Kennedy
6. Jordan Russell
7. Eddie Betts
8. Luke Blackwell
9. Shaun Grigg
10. Shaun Hampson

The top 4 will be a pretty dam good midfield in 2 years time, with 2 ball magnets, a tall athletic midfielder, and a good run-with midfielder.

Cool. Not sure why Don77 didn't have Watson in for us. Maybe Jobe has already turned 22. I'm a big wrap for Dempsey as well.

Nah Watson is still 21.

He is 21. Thread starter said 21 or under.

Yes he is, slips some peoples minds when they criticise him.

My North one:

1. Smith
2. Wells
3. Hansen
4. Swallow
5. Moran
6. Trotter
7. McConnell
8. Adams
9. Urquhart
10. Thomas

1. Beau Waters
2. Sam Butler
3. Shannon Hurn
4. Matt Rosa
5. Mark LeCras
6. Matt Priddis
7. Mitch Morton
8. Eric McKenzie
9. Mitch Brown
10. Ben McKinley

I am guessing that all these kids have great ability below their feet, eh Embers??

Just like that talented marsupial mole Q. Lynch!!

Yes he is, slips some peoples minds when they criticise him.

My North one:

1. Smith
2. Wells
3. Hansen
4. Swallow
5. Moran
6. Trotter
7. McConnell
8. Adams
9. Urquhart
10. Thomas

When looking through the north list, they actually have quite a list of impressive younger players with lots of upside.

Jesse Smith, wopuld've bene top 5 pick a couple of years back but was taken as a father son pick and looks quite impressive IMO.

Wells is wells, Hansen is a prototypical CHB for modern football, Swallow looks to be a good player and moran could be just about anything. Mconnell could take the look of your taller running player in the next year and Urqhart has some great natural talent

1. Brett Deledio
2. Andrew Raines
3. Richard Tambling
4. Dean Polo
5. Danny Meyer
6. Nathan Foley
7. Adam Pattison
8. Jay Schulz
9. Will Thursfield
10. Cam Howat/Matthew White/Jarrad Oakley Nicholls/Cleve Hughes/Travis Casserly/Jack Riewoldt/Shane Edwards/Daniel Connors/Carl Peterson/Andrew Collins/Brent Hartigan/Daniel Jackson/Luke McGuane

The top 9 are arguanbly all in our best 22.

1. Scott Gumbleton
2. Patrick Ryder
3. Angus Monfries
4. Brent Stanton
5. Leroy Jetta
6. Courtenay Dempsey
7. Tom Hislop
8. Andrew Lee
9. Kepler Bradley
10. Jay Nash

1. Kid A - Radiohead
2. The Kids Are Alright - The Who