Opinion Top 10 Overrated and Underrated Players

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Luke Hodge is overrated. Get talked up constantly as being elite, one of if not the best utility in the game, when none of this is true in my opinion. A very good player, but I can't see how he's rated as highly as the public opinion of him is.

Pavlich is underrated. Brown, Lloyd, Fevola, Tredrea, Riewoldt get talked up as being this decade's best big men, but Pavlich is on their level. As an overall footballer (not necessarily power forward), I'd say he's in the top 3 or top 5 players this decade. He always gets rated, but not as highly as I think he should be.

I'd also say Harry O'Brien from the pies is underrated. Very very reliable defender, and a bit of a utility defender as well. In fact, I'd say he's a gun, but I never hear him get any sort of credit by opposition supporters. He's a defender that can actually DEFEND.

I think Luke Hodge is overrated. Get talked up constantly as being elite, one of if not the best utility in the game, when none of this is true in my opinion. A very good player, but I can't see how he's rated as highly as the public opinion of him is.

Pavlich is underrated. Brown, Lloyd, Fevola, Tredrea, Riewoldt get talked up as being this decade's best big men, but Pavlich is on their level. As an overall footballer (not necessarily power forward), I'd say he's in the top 3 or top 5 players this decade. He always gets rated, but not as highly as I think he should be.

I'd also say Harry O'Brien from the pies is underrated. Very very reliable defender, and a bit of a utility defender as well. In fact, I'd say he's a gun, but I never hear him get any sort of credit by opposition supporters. He's a defender that can actually DEFEND.

yeah hodge has only had the one real good yr, and a great finals series (final) with a cracked rib, which seams to get worse everytime i hear about it, it was a punchered lung now lol, he"s as tough and courageous as they come and has great skills but hardly a champion in my book, i have him just ahead of heath shaw maybe, shaws not as decorated but does have to deal with offensive tags every week, fairlry simaler players IMO.

Overrated
1. Dale Thomas
2. Dane Swans
3. Brett Stanton
4. Lance Franklin
5. Any North or Port player that has been rated.

Underrated
1. Jarred McVeigh
2. Joel Corey
3. Jason Porplyzia
4. Jason Winderlich
5. Harry O'Brien

I noticed a lot of people rate Priddis as overrated. Who rates him that highly? His job is to get the ball and clear it out which he does well. Hes not a goalkicker or running wingman.

he isnt the 1st average player to play well in a GF in those conditions, you have a very very good team and im not bagging the cats in anyway other way, but everytime ive seen the bloke play i think he"s a borderline VFL player, he has nothing, would definantly be the least discused by opposing coaches regarding your team and doesnt get any attention form rival players.
If Rooke is a player that would be least discussed by opposing coaches then that's fine with me. Even Kevin Sheedy thinks Rooke is one of the most underrated players in the AFL. Most teams have a player whose value can't be measured by the sum of his possessions. It's about what they do when they're not in possession that makes them valuable. For the Cats it's the things that Max does when he's not in possession of the ball that counts. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I highly doubt Geelong would waste $20,000 sending Max overseas to fix his injury issues in 2007 if they thought he was just a "borderline AFL" player. AND seeing as we've won 2 premierships in the last 3 years (not bragging here - just stating a fact) and Collingwood have won zero then I think that I'd have to go with Mark Thompson's judgement on Rooke as a player before yours.

Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett

He has over taken Cross has the handball king, hopefully we will get to see him cry twice this year, once at the Brownlow and once on GF day when the Cats get their pants pulled down again, Such a great record over the last 3 year how funny it would be if they come away with only 1 flag in that time:eek:

Great call stoopid!!!

most overrated in the decade is surely Voss. a very good player, a fantastic leader, & seems a good bloke, but not the star he is made out to be.
underrated Roger Hayden.

most overrated in the decade is surely Voss. a very good player, a fantastic leader, & seems a good bloke, but not the star he is made out to be.
underrated Roger Hayden.
Mate,
Get back under the rock, Voss was a true champion of the game, won a well deserved brownlow and did not have weakness.
Cheers
Stephen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

underrated Roger Hayden.
Gee, if you think Voss is overrated you should pull out a copy of the 2002 Grand Final and give that the once over, particularly the last 15 minutes. That was indicative of the way he played, particularly when matches were on the line, for over a decade.

Gee, if you think Voss is overrated you should pull out a copy of the 2002 Grand Final and give that the once over, particularly the last 15 minutes. That was indicative of the way he played, particularly when matches were on the line, for over a decade.

mate, he had a ripper in that game, but nearly every player in the AFL will have a 15 minute blinder, admittedly not always in such a big game, & i know you are not basing your argument on those 15 minutes.
i have my opinion & i'm sticking with it.
i appreciate that most people rate Voss higher than i do. probably 1 in 7 of people i have spoken agree with me, but the rest are against me.
do the numbers mean i am wrong?
who knows?
the fact that robbie king of the tryhards williams sells any concert tickets is a mystery to me as well.
& Jen Hawkins as Miss Universe? Give me Megan Gale of Angelina Jolie any day.
maybe i am biased against the fair haired ones?
nah! Hirdy is in my top 5 of all time seen play.

Top 10 Overrated

4 - Daniel Kerr

sorry to quote this but i belive he is underated he gets the hardest tag in the comp in the fact hes team never used to support him in the judd days at wast cost the 3 would be taged on good days and on bad days help the othere 2 out eg. judd gets tag kerr blocks gos and gets the hard ball and gives a cheep one on to judd so he can run free and make and impact the same is said for kerr but the last few years the team droped away and he got no help, stop him and cox you would win he dose not get enough credit for the tag he puts u[p with witch is a level higher the abletts even

Overrated
1. S Johnson
2. Ablett
3. Franklin
4. Thomas
5. Milne
6. Headland
7. Cox
8. Cotchin
9. Koschitzke
10. C Cornes

Underated
1. Boyd
2. Montagna
3. Porplyzia
4. Enright
5. Hayes
6. A. Selwood
7. C Morton
8. H O'Brien
9. Hurn
10. Pendlebury

Overrated
1. S Johnson
2. Ablett
3. Franklin
4. Thomas
5. Milne
6. Headland
7. Cox
8. Cotchin
9. Koschitzke
10. C Cornes

Underated
1. Boyd
2. Montagna
3. Porplyzia
4. Enright
5. Hayes
6. A. Selwood
7. C Morton
8. H O'Brien
9. Hurn
10. Pendlebury
Interesting, what's the reason for Cox?

Overrated
1. S Johnson
2. Ablett
3. Franklin
4. Thomas
5. Milne
6. Headland
7. Cox
8. Cotchin
9. Koschitzke
10. C Cornes

Underated
1. Boyd
2. Montagna
3. Porplyzia
4. Enright
5. Hayes
6. A. Selwood
7. C Morton
8. H O'Brien
9. Hurn
10. Pendlebury

seriously, don't know any who do rate Headland, nor any who don't rate Pendlebury.
good list, but I disagree with Ablett & S (Cletus) Johnson
also not sure about C Morton & Hurn.

Ryan Griffen, Travis Cloke, Sean Rusling, Jed Adcock, Paul Medhurst, Jarred Brennan, Brent Stanton, Jarred Waite, Brett Deledio, Chris Judd = Overrated

Let me explain putting Chris Judd in there before everyone goes nuts... Chris Judd has still not returned to the top flight form he was in at WCE before the OP. He still gets all the recognition like he is playing as well as he used to but i think to put it simply, he isnt. Therefore i think he is being overrated.

Underrated: Daniel Cross, Lenny Hayes, Jobe Watson, Matty Boyd, Jarryd Roughead, Kurt Tippet, Josh Gibson, Leigh Montagna, Andrew Mackie, Jason Winderlich.

Some of the above are talked about alot and rated at each of their clubs, but when the media rant and rave about other players in the league, some of these guys would never be mentioned in the same breath whereas i think that they should be! I put 2 Bombers in the underrated section, probably very much bias so appologies for that but i think Watson is a star and look out for Licka next year!

Ryan Griffen, Travis Cloke, Sean Rusling, Jed Adcock, Paul Medhurst, Jarred Brennan, Brent Stanton, Jarred Waite, Brett Deledio, Chris Judd = Overrated

Let me explain putting Chris Judd in there before everyone goes nuts... Chris Judd has still not returned to the top flight form he was in at WCE before the OP. He still gets all the recognition like he is playing as well as he used to but i think to put it simply, he isnt. Therefore i think he is being overrated.

Underrated: Daniel Cross, Lenny Hayes, Jobe Watson, Matty Boyd, Jarryd Roughead, Kurt Tippet, Josh Gibson, Leigh Montagna, Andrew Mackie, Jason Winderlich.

Some of the above are talked about alot and rated at each of their clubs, but when the media rant and rave about other players in the league, some of these guys would never be mentioned in the same breath whereas i think that they should be! I put 2 Bombers in the underrated section, probably very much bias so appologies for that but i think Watson is a star and look out for Licka next year!

isn't everyone saying hes the next Wayne Carey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Top 10 Overrated and Underrated Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back