Top 10 Players Since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to go back and really confirm this - I don't ever recall him being in the top 5. I've looked at coaches award votes to check as I have always felt that was a great indicator.

2010 - 12th
2011 - 7th
2012 - 9th
2013 - 1st
2014 - 6th

You're probably right, I have undersold him a little.
Combine with Brownlow and MVP, whilst considering Swan was taking a heap of votes off him.

Also consider his finals performances.

Hard to go back and really confirm this - I don't ever recall him being in the top 5. I've looked at coaches award votes to check as I have always felt that was a great indicator.

2010 - 12th
2011 - 7th
2012 - 9th
2013 - 1st
2014 - 6th

You're probably right, I have undersold him a little.

So one top 5 finish in that period from 2010 to 2014. These were the coaches votes. What about the players votes? What were their opinions for this period for Pendlebury.

Combine with Brownlow and MVP, whilst considering Swan was taking a heap of votes off him.

Also consider his finals performances.

Finals = a Norm Smith medal.

31 games in Finals Footy, averages 23.9 possessions and has kicked 9 goals.

Finals = a Norm Smith medal.

31 games in Finals Footy, averages 23.9 possessions and has kicked 9 goals.
So averages more possessions than Martin in finals, despite playing twice as many? Remembering Martin played most of his finals in a dominant team in the prime of his career. (And Martin is allegedly the GOAT finals player)

Go on, have a decent look at his finals record and come back to me.

You could even start with the last quarter he played in a final, as a 35 year old.

So averages more possessions than Martin in finals, despite playing twice as many? Remembering Martin played most of his finals in a dominant team in the prime of his career. (And Martin is allegedly the GOAT finals player)

You could even start with the last quarter he played in a final, as a 35 year old.
He got 9 of his 15 in that last quarter

Oh, I didn't realise Pendlebury was a better Finals player than Martin.

I didn't say he was.

But the gap may not be as significant as you think it is...

Pendlebury, averaging 23.9 possessions and 0.2 goals per game and Martin averaging 22.0 possessions and 1.6 goals per game, I think the gap between Martin and Pendlebury in Finals footy is quite wide in my opinion and it's in Martin's favour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess every other player in the history of the game will be given the same assessment by you if they played well in Finals but played well in a dominant team???

Pendlebury, averaging 23.9 possessions and 0.2 goals per game and Martin averaging 22.0 possessions and 1.6 goals per game, I think the gap between Martin and Pendlebury in Finals footy is quite wide in my opinion and it's in Martin's favour.
Oh, so just possessions and goals matter?

Challenge yourself, take a good, hard look at their respective finals performances, then consider Pendlebury played very few finals when he was 26 to 29, whilst Martin played 12 of his 16 finals whilst he was in that age bracket, in a dominant team.

Go on, do some critical thinking and detailed analysis...

8x the goals for 2 less possessions seems like a pretty good deal to me lol.

And this is excluding the awards and flags too.

Challenge yourself, take a good, hard look at their respective finals performances, then consider Pendlebury played very few finals when he was 26 to 29, whilst Martin played 12 of his 16 finals whilst he was in that age bracket, in a dominant team.

But you're the one that made it about possessions. You said and I quote:

"So averages more possessions than Martin in finals, despite playing twice as many?"

Finals performances aren’t rated depending on the age or team. They are what they are.

After you provided his possession count.

Discussion over, until you check out the data.

I suspect you'll surprise yourself.

I don't need to surprise myself. I use the Eye Test in conjunction with stats and in my opinion the gap between Martin and Pendlebury in Finals Footy is quite wide and I have watched both players in Finals footy. Pendles is good in Finals, but Martin is better and by a fair way...again in my opinion. Martin's impact in my opinion - more damaging then Pendlebury.

Most people just seem to focus on the Norms and not realise he got 3 Finals MVPs as well.

In Richmond’s 3 flags years he got 8/10 BOGs in finals games as per coaches and NS votes.

In 2017 he got record Brownlow votes and coaches votes.

He also got record BOGs in H&A with 11 I think. SO HALF A SEASON HE WAS BOG.

So including that record H&A season he followed up with BOG, BOG, BOG in the 3 2017 finals.

Also the only person to win a Brownlow, NS and flag all in the same year.

This is all insane. It’s literally perfect. People seem to forget or deliberately leave it out because they know it’s good.

For those saying he isn’t consistent enough he is 8th all time career Brownlow votes.

4AAs + 4 AA squads.

I believe he is also top 5 all time for BOG games as per the Brownlow votes.

It’s funny people say he is overrated. I believe he is underrated. We won’t see a record like this again and people don’t see to care/realise it.
That is wrong. Try 8th.

GAJ 55
Dangerfield 54
L Neale 46
Judd 46
S Mitchell 45
R Harvey 45
G Dempsey 42
Martin 42
Bontempelli 42

The table shows he is so far off GAJ and existing players Dangerfield and L Neale.
Bont will pass him next week.

Fyfe is on 41. It's a shame about the injuries Fyfe has had over the years, because he could be well in the conversation for best 3.

That is wrong. Try 8th.

GAJ 55
Dangerfield 54
L Neale 46
Judd 46
S Mitchell 45
R Harvey 45
G Dempsey 42
Martin 42
Bontempelli 42

The table shows he is so far off GAJ and existing players Dangerfield and L Neale.

That’s why I said I believe. I wasn’t 100% sure.

So I wasn’t far off. 8th instead of 5th. 👍

That is wrong. Try 8th.

GAJ 55
Dangerfield 54
L Neale 46
Judd 46
S Mitchell 45
R Harvey 45
G Dempsey 42
Martin 42
Bontempelli 42

Fyfe is on 41. It's a shame about the injuries Fyfe has had over the years, because he could be well in the conversation for best 3.
Accurate facts generally aren't important for the Martin fanbois...

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10 Players Since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Back