Top 10 Players Since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit harsh, he retired years ago and cannot blame him for letting go a bit.
Good topic for another thread - Players who have ballooned out, or current players who you predict will balloon out? Or is that politically incorrect?

1. GAJ (has genuine claims to GOAT status)
2. Buddy (one of the all time AFL statistical outliers, compared to his peers) - prob would have kicked 1500 goals in the 90s
3. Judd / Dusty (can't split them, personified greatness in different ways)

As an aside, the argument against Dusty because he only has 4 AAs is rubbish. He was robbed multiple times, & his career IMO merits 5-6 AAs (especially in 19, & a strong case he could have been AA in 23)

Here's my top 10 and reasons why:

1. Gary Ablett Junior - unquestionably No.1 for me because of his 5 MVP's,8 AA's and dominance over a decade
2. Dusty Martin - just as GAJ's 5 MVP's stamps him No.1, Dusty's 3 NS's elevates him to best finals player
3. Buddy Franklin - the only forward in the 2000's to kick 1000 goals, and possibly the last
4. Chris Judd - a dominant elite footballer for at least six years
5. Michael Voss - triple premiership captain, NS, 2 X MVP, 5 AA...
6. Dean Cox - arguably best ruckman so fat this century
7. Matthew Scarlett - triple premiership, 6 AA and triple B&F arguably best fullback this century (also named in St Joseph's team of champions!!)
8. Adam Goodes - Mr Versatile
9. Patrick Dangerfield - the most explosive big mid this century with 8 x AA's & 2nd highest Brownlow vote total behind GAJ
10. James Hird

No Scott Pendlebury? I'm sure Collingwood supporters would be annoyed, especially Fadge..

This is often a fun exercise as things like the Brisbane midfielders had a lot of their best pre-2000. Voss could contend for top 10 of all time but I feel not enough of his best was post-2000. This also disqualifies a fair few like Cousins, Lloyd etc. Apologies.

1. Gary Ablett Jr (and if he is not top of your list, you are wrong)
2. Lance Franklin
3. Chris Judd
4. Adam Goodes
5. Scott Pendlebury
6. Dustin Martin
7. Dean Cox
8. Luke Hodge
9. Matthew Pavlich
10. Matthew Scarlett

Good topic for another thread - Players who have ballooned out, or current players who you predict will balloon out? Or is that politically incorrect?
Would've bet big money on Luke Hodge but he's holding on well so far.

J McGovern, Hawkins and Stringer will become massive, guaranteed.

2019 dusty came 6th in Brownlow, got coaches votes in 11 home and away games and didn’t get a jumper

Aa jumpers to rate players is the laziest most pathetic manner in history to judge a career
Wasn't Martin 6th in his own club's best and fairest in 2019?

Though I thought it wasn't the intention of this thread to make it another Martin thread?!?

No Scott Pendlebury? I'm sure Collingwood supporters would be annoyed, especially Fadge..
In the same way that Martin is missing from many posters' top 10, I'm not surprised than Pendlebury is missing from a few.

As I've always said, the top 3 pick themselves - GAJ, Buddy and Judd - then it comes down to personal preference for the next 10 to 12.

I don't get too precious about other people's opinions on this topic; may be a learning for Richmond supporters.

2019 dusty came 6th in Brownlow, got coaches votes in 11 home and away games and didn’t get a jumper

Matt Priddis in 2014 won the Brownlow, finished top 5 in the coaches votes, and didn't get an AA jumper.

What's your point?

If you are comparing Priddis to Martin I can’t help you

You are on your own

You're the one moaning that apparently he should have got an AA jumper based on Brownlow and AFLCA votes performance that year. Matt Priddis isn't even in the top 50 since 2000 but that's the benchmark you're going with.

You're the one moaning that apparently he should have got an AA jumper based on Brownlow and AFLCA votes performance that year. Matt Priddis isn't even in the top 50 since 2000 but that's the benchmark you're going with.
It's a typical Richmond poster making a thinly veiled Dusty goo thread. Should be moved to the Tigers board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the same way that Martin is missing from many posters' top 10, I'm not surprised than Pendlebury is missing from a few.

As I've always said, the top 3 pick themselves - GAJ, Buddy and Judd - then it comes down to personal preference for the next 10 to 12.

I don't get too precious about other people's opinions on this topic; may be a learning for Richmond supporters.

Many? Look again.

Most have Pendles out of the top 10

Most have Dusty in the top 5

I know Dusty is outside your top 50 but not everybody is that delusional.

As jumpers are a Geelong football club participation award

Aa jumpers to rate players is the laziest most pathetic manner in history to judge a career

Tom Stewart has 6, and I just saw an article saying he is on track for 7. It’s a joke

Matt Priddis in 2014 won the Brownlow, finished top 5 in the coaches votes, and didn't get an AA jumper.

What's your point?
Even Neale got his second Brownlow while being top 5 in in almost every week to week award but missed the AA team.

All it shows that basically every award has their flaws. None are perfect but all have some value

What an effing pathetic list that doesn’t include any of the Lions big four.
Every player that played across the late 90s early 00s period kinda gets screwed in any of these threads. Doesnt matter if its Voss, Black, Buckley, Lloyd, Riccutto, etc they all have that awkward bit of playing not fully in the time period so its hard to know if they should be included or excluded

All it shows that basically every award has their flaws. None are perfect but all have some value

Coaches award is for me the best. They are the absolute best placed to know who impacted the game the most and vote accordingly.

Have always put far more weight to this than any other award. Is it perfect? Probably not, but it's as good as you're going to get.

Even Neale got his second Brownlow while being top 5 in in almost every week to week award but missed the AA team.

What that proves is that aa jumpers are for wiping your bum

Coaches award is for me the best. They are the absolute best placed to know who impacted the game the most and vote accordingly.

Have always put far more weight to this than any other award. Is it perfect? Probably not, but it's as good as you're going to get.

I'd agree to an extent. Better than Brownlow, for sure.

Yes, it was funny that Priddis won in 2014 but think most agree that Robbie Gray was better that year.

Let's be honest - if Dusty had 8 AA jumpers you'd be saying it's the best judge of performance over a year.

Yeah but let's be fair and reasonable here, Dusty has won 4 AA's.....do they not mean anything to you?

Every "opinion award" will have a grey area but in some cases players have missed out when they should of got it. But more often than not the judges usually get it right or around the mark.

Yeah but let's be fair and reasonable here, Dusty has won 4 AA's.....do they not mean anything to you?

Every "opinion award" will have a grey area but in some cases players have missed out when they should of got it. But more often than not the judges usually get it right or around the mark.

Dusty has 4 aa jumpers and yes they mean nothing to me because Tom Stewart has 6

Garbage award awarded by afl suits and journos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back