Remove this Banner Ad

If it was a ten player spine…followers no wings

Lloyd
Franklin Reiwoldt Martin
Judd Goodes GAJ Fyfe
Rance
Scarlett
good shout

the disrespect Lloyd gets is staggering.. No player in the open AFL era had a larger gap to second in some of his Coleman winning seasons. Mind-blowing just how dominant he was as a key forward with contemporaries such as Fevola, Hall were still kicking

So far there's only 2 players in the VFL/AFL to play 300+ games, play in a Premiership and win a Brownlow medal: Jimmy Bartel and Simon Black. Soon it will be 3 players, Dusty will join them.
What? Can double the list of '2' off top of my head..gonna have to add NS to filters to narrow it down to Dusty i think
Goodes
Sam Mitchell
Aker
Ricciuto

What? Can double the list of '2' off top of my head..gonna have to add NS to filters to narrow it down to Dusty i think
Goodes
Sam Mitchell
Aker
Ricciuto

My initial post forgot the Norm Smith medal element.

Pendlebury, averaging 23.9 possessions and 0.2 goals per game and Martin averaging 22.0 possessions and 1.6 goals per game, I think the gap between Martin and Pendlebury in Finals footy is quite wide in my opinion and it's in Martin's favour.
Just to shed some further light on the Martin GOAT finals player myth, if we just want to focus on possessions and goals, let's check out the record of one Stevie Johnson....

Steve Johnson averaged 1.7 goals and 20 touches in finals, doing it over 26 games at two clubs, at the start of its run in 04-05, during its champion stage, it’s past its prime stage, and at a new club in its infancy...

But we're being told another guy who did it in 16 games is the best ever because 22 and 1.6 is the best of the millenium because of 16 games almost entirely played during 4 years with a team at the peak of its powers, at his peak playing age?

Critical Thinking... is important.

Judd's Carlton years are massively underrated in hindsight i reckon. Yes, he was lucky to win the Brownlow in 2010, and i think a lot of people judge him harshly for that and for the fact he was different player from his WC prime. But he was by the best player in it in 2011 and should have won the Brownlow then.

He was the best player in the game as a freakish burst, goal-kicking mid at WC and then experienced debilitating groin injuries that robbed him of his greatest strength. So what does he do? Turn himself into the best player in the game as a clearance and contested ball pig. I feel like that gets under appreicated when these sorts of comparisons come up because his WC years were so eye-catching

He's also 2nd only to Dusty as a big game player and leader both are comfortably better than GAJ in the former and there's a host of players better than him as far as the latter is concerned. GAJ was far more me, me, me, and was a downright calamitous leader than any of the other greats since 2000 and he should be judged more harshly for that in these lists imo

Just to shed some further light on the Martin GOAT finals player myth, if we just want to focus on possessions and goals, let's check out the record of one Stevie Johnson....

Steve Johnson averaged 1.7 goals and 20 touches in finals, doing it over 26 games at two clubs, at the start of its run in 04-05, during its champion stage, it’s past its prime stage, and at a new club in its infancy...

But we're being told another guy who did it in 16 games is the best ever because 22 and 1.6 is the best of the millenium because of 16 games almost entirely played during 4 years with a team at the peak of its powers, at his peak playing age?

Critical Thinking... is important.

Good thing him being considered the best finals player ever isn’t based on disposals and goals, it’s based on awards and influence

Last edited:
Good thing him being considered the best finals player ever isn’t based on disposals and goals, it’s based on awards
Is that right?

So players like Bachar Houli, Dion Prestia, Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt are amongst the long list of Worst Of All Time Finals Players due to the fact none of them have ever won an Ayres Medal or Norm Smith?

Interesting conclusion.

Is that right?

So players like Bachar Houli, Dion Prestia, Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt are amongst the long list of Worst Of All Time Finals Players due to the fact none of them have ever won an Ayres Medal or Norm Smith?

Interesting conclusion.

Look at the votes to rank like you do endlessly with Daicos. That’s what they are there for.

Dusty has an 80% BOG rate from 10 finals (100% in GFs) in our flag years based on coaches and NS votes.

Nobody in history has beaten that. The end.

You’d think somebody who freaked out at Pendles great 5 mins in the 2023 GF would understand and appreciate the greatness of that.

1.Ablett, 2.Franklin, 3.Judd, 4.Danger, 5.Dusty, 6.Pendlebury, 7.Selwood, 8.Bont, 9.Riewoldt, 10.Fyfe…….If this was asked in another 5 years time I can see Bont being as high as number 3.

For anyone interested I have created a 21st century mock draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off of the top of my head and without looking at any of the lists already posted:

1. Gary Ablett Jr
  2. Lance Franklin
  3. Dean Cox
  4. Dustin Martin
  5. Ben Cousins
  6. Adam Goodes
  7. Chris Judd
  8. Nick Riewoldt
  9. Brendan Fevola
  10. Matthew Scarlett
Now it's time to go check everyone else's list and realise who I've missed!

1. GAJ
2. Buddy
3. Judd
4. Goodes
5. Martin
6. Selwood
7. Hodge
8. Pendles
9. Brown
10. Scarlett

Bucks, Cousins, Harvey (x2), Hird, Ricciuto, Tredrea, & Voss miss out due to their footy in the 90s.

A combination of Mitchell, Black, Fyfe, Neale, Dangerfield, Riewoldt (x2), Kennedy, Walker, Rance, Cox, Gawn, Cotchin, Bartel, Johnson, Bontempelli, Rioli, & Swan would probably be the next picked....but could hardly blame anyone if you had them in your top 10.

Too many to choose from, and we've been blessed as supporters to watch these champions go about it.

What an effing pathetic list that doesn’t include any of the Lions big four.
To be fair, it's a list from 2000 and Voss was the best retiring in 2006. You could argue that Simon Black was the one that played mostly in the 2000's and whilst being great, I don't think he's better than any of the top 10 mentioned.

All of the top 10 did their best work in the 2000's

Gary Ablett jr

Dustin Martin
Scott Pendlebury
Chris Judd
Matthew Scarlett
Adam Goodes
Simon Black
Ben Cousins
Lance Franklin
Joel Selwood

Here's my top 10 and reasons why:

1. Gary Ablett Junior - unquestionably No.1 for me because of his 5 MVP's,8 AA's and dominance over a decade
2. Dusty Martin - just as GAJ's 5 MVP's stamps him No.1, Dusty's 3 NS's elevates him to best finals player
3. Buddy Franklin - the only forward in the 2000's to kick 1000 goals, and possibly the last
4. Chris Judd - a dominant elite footballer for at least six years
5. Michael Voss - triple premiership captain, NS, 2 X MVP, 5 AA...
6. Dean Cox - arguably best ruckman so fat this century
7. Matthew Scarlett - triple premiership, 6 AA and triple B&F arguably best fullback this century (also named in St Joseph's team of champions!!)
8. Adam Goodes - Mr Versatile
9. Patrick Dangerfield - the most explosive big mid this century with 8 x AA's & 2nd highest Brownlow vote total behind GAJ
10. James Hird

1. Gary Ablett Junior - unquestionably No.1 for me because of his 5 MVP's,8 AA's and dominance over a decade
2. Dusty Martin - just as GAJ's 5 MVP's stamps him No.1, Dusty's 3 NS's elevates him to best finals player
3. Buddy Franklin - the only forward in the 2000's to kick 1000 goals, and possibly the last
7. Matthew Scarlett - triple premiership, 6 AA and triple B&F arguably best fullback this century (also named in St Joseph's team of champions!!)
9. Patrick Dangerfield - the most explosive big mid this century with 8 x AA's & 2nd highest Brownlow vote total behind GAJ
10. James Hird

Well put together this list 👍👏 and you gave reasons too. Good work.

10. James Hird

Finally a reasonable Cats supporter 👏

Except he only got 4 All Australians so he wasn't that good for that long. 4 top quality seasons in a full career is not great.
As jumpers are a Geelong football club participation award

2019 dusty came 6th in Brownlow, got coaches votes in 11 home and away games and didn’t get a jumper

Aa jumpers to rate players is the laziest most pathetic manner in history to judge a career

Tom Stewart has 6, and I just saw an article saying he is on track for 7. It’s a joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10 Players Since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Back